- Base FHIR Resource: Observation
- Derived From: Observation
- Description: The Karnofsky Performance Status (KPS) is a tool used to measure a patient’s functional status. It can be used to compare the effectiveness of different therapies and to help assess the prognosis of certain patients, such as those with certain cancers.
- mCODE-specific Attribute Constraints:
- basedOn reference restricted to (ServiceRequest | CarePlan)
- partOf reference restricted to (Procedure)
- Status is must support
- Category is bound to ObservationCategoryCodes (extensible)
- Code is fixed to LOINC#89243-0 “Karnofsky Performance Status score” and is required, must support
- Subject reference restricted to (US Core Patient Profile) and is required, must support
- Effective[x] reference restricted to (effectiveDateTime | effectivePeriod) and is must support
- Performer reference restricted to (Practitioner)
- Value[x] is 1..1 and is restricted to valueInteger and is required, must support
- Interpretation is bound to LOINC Answer List LL4986-7 (required)
- dataAbsentReason, bodySite, specimen, device, referenceRange, hasMember, and component are zeroed out
- mCODE-specific Extensions: none
- mCODE-specific Slices: none
- mCODE-specific ValueSets: none
Other Notes of Interest:
- Value[x] is restricted to valueInteger because Karnofsky Scores are recorded as an integer between 0 to 100 in intervals of 10.
- Interpretation is bound to LOINC Answer List LL4986-7 because this list contains codes and descriptions for the different Karnofsky scores.
- The basedOn, partOf, performer, subject, effective[x] attributes are restricted so references that would not be logical for this profile are not allowed.
- dataAbsentReason, bodySite, specimen, device, referenceRange, hasMember, and component are zeroed out because including data elements for these attributes would not be logical for this profile.