Table of Contents
The following criteria will be applied to HL7 Version 2 Implementation Guides (IG):
- Title SHALL match the official HL7 name for publication including:
- Base version SHALL be specified
- Any pre-adoption or post-adoption SHALL be clearly outlined
- Realm SHALL be specified
- Document type SHALL be (STU, Normative, Informative)
- Publication date SHALL be specified
- Title page SHALL BE the official HL7 title page including official copyright text
- Where appropriate, terminology text is included
- Table of contents SHALL exist and include lists of tables and figures (note that message, segment, data type and value set "tables" MAY not be explicitly listed)
- Authors and contributors SHALL be listed
- Sponsoring work group(s) SHALL be listed
- Purpose and audience of the document SHALL be described
- Scope (both in and out of scope) of the document SHALL be clearly defined
- At least one use case SHALL be described
- The requirements of the use case SHALL be represented as constraints in the profiles
- The profiles SHALL NOT contain constraints that are not required for the IG use case(s)
- Use cases SHALL include
- User story
- Message flows including a list of message profiles used to fulfill the use case
- An IG SHOULD be based on the most relevant version of the standard, and avoid "pre-adoption".
- Conformance statements SHALL be machine testable
- Each conformance statement SHALL have a unique ID
- Conformance statement IDs need not be meaningful or in alphabetical/numeric order
- Conformance statement IDs SHALL NOT be reused within the document or between releases of the same IG
- Conformance statement IDs SHOULD be consistent between releases of the IG
- Conformance statements MAY be reused within a document if the requirement applied to multiple locations in the message
- For example, if a conformance statement applies to a field in the OBX segment following both a PID and an OBR segment, then the conformance statement can be reused in both locations
- An IG SHALL NOT use z-segments or custom data types (note that a constraint of a base data type is not a "custom data type")
- An STU IG SHALL have the same technical requirements as a Normative IG.
- Each message SHALL be associated with a Profile ID for use in MSH-21
- Each message SHOULD regarding the role of the message in one or more use cases
- Segments and Segment Groups in the message SHALL have a Usage and a Cardinality
- Segments not defined in the base standard SHALL NOT be included in the IG.
- Segments with a Usage of R, RE or C description of the segment elsewhere in the document
- The exception to this is where a segment is required within an optional segment group (eg the Patient_Visit segment group is optional, but if included, the PV1 segment is required - in this case, the required PV1 segment does not need to be described in the document (it just defaults to the based standard definition)
- Fields in the message SHALL have a Usage and Cardinality which SHALL NOT be in conflict with the base standard.
- Fields with a Usage of R, RE or C SHALL point to a constrained description of the field elsewhere in the document
- Fields with a coded data type (CWE, CNE, ID, IS, etc) SHOULD be bound to a value set described elsewhere in the document
- Fields not defined in the base standard SHALL NOT be included in the IG.
- Where possible, standardized data type flavors should be use (see data type flavor project).
- Data types SHALL NOT be extended with additional components.
- the use and construction of value sets SHALL be included
- We'd need to develop this (possibly starting with NIST text or text in the immunization IG)
- Each value set should have an OID
- Each value set should be declared as open or closed and static or dynamic
- We'll need to provide a reference to definitions for these attributes
- Each value in a value set should include Usage
- Values should only be required when they are critical to the fulfilment of one or more use cases
- Only value sets which are bound to a field, data type or co-constraint SHALL be included in the IG
- Should value sets have gone through the harmonization process?
- Need to talk to Vocab about this
- Each use case SHALL contain at least one full example message for each profile
- "message snippets" SHALL NOT be used
- segments that are non-relevant for the point being made may be abbreviated in the context of a full message
- Example messages SHALL be prefaced with standardized text indicating that they should not be used for the purposes of coding and are only for the purposes of better understanding the requirements
Discussed on 2019-03-14 telcon.