Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Web Meeting Info:

Join Zoom Meeting - | Meeting ID: 718 380 6281  P: 370553 

+1 646 558 8656 US (New York) | Find your local number:




3:30PM EST (UTC-5).  This is the first call after the January 2021 WGM.


None received.

Agenda Topics and Notes

  1. Roll call and Agenda check (Chair)
    Call began at 3:35PM EST with quorum reached.
    No changes to agenda.
  2. Announcements (all)
    • No announcements.

  3. Action Items Check  (Chair)
        1. We acknowledge that we need to take care of the items on this list. Rob asks that co-chairs especially review their action items and resolve or update
        2. Attendees and especially chairs are again urged to finish and check off their action items.
        3. Reuben created the page for the Name&Shame list

  4. Next WGM Planning (Carol Macumber)
    Not yet setup.

  5. Review of new PSS involving Vocabulary (chairs)
    There is a Confluence page relative to this where we can see the new projects in review and started.  We should comment on these or at least review to make sure they are not something we need to get involved with.  Note that the items on this page are projects that are either looking for sponsors/cosponsors, interested parties, or related projects in HL7 that the listed proposed project should be made aware of.
    We reviewed and comments on the two new PSS items.   We will revisit this in our first WGM quarter next week.   Upon review, we agreed to be an Interested Party on the CARIN PSS.

  6. Co-chair Items
    1. There was a call on the new schedule this Monday at 3PM
    2. There is an active discussion on changing the wording of the definitions for Extensible and other details about bindings.  If interested please see the Confluence Page with the notes from the ongoing discussions.  No new material in the last two weeks..   Carmela has put together the information for review since this is a priority item for R4b, see below.
    3. Active discussions on what Vocab is pushing for in the FHIR R4B release.  Summary page can be found here. We have a added a slot for the WGM to discuss this.   We will get through as many of these as we can shortly (below)
    4. Some issues with NamingSystem that were left out of the R4B (e.g. title, maturity level) and we need to make sure those are on the R4B list.  Review below.

  7. Vocabulary Policy Items Needing Decisions (Ted Klein)
    1. No new WG decisions from the Task Forces yet.   See the task force pages for more information.  Progress is being made. 
    2. We need a Vocabulary Policy for the Concept Domains in CDA where folks are looking for Value Sets.   FHIR has suggested that a concept domain in FHIR may be represented as a Value Set bound Example.   If we cn discuss and decide on this, we can document a procedure to address Lisa's issues.   
    3. Policy on Unification of code systems.   After content is unified, what should happen to the old code systems that will not move forward once we unify them.    Existing example is observation interpretation. Topic moved to discuss in joint SD session next week at WGM.

  8. UTG Update (Carol/Jess/Ted)
    1. Status
      1. Work has begun with HL7 mgmt to begin to get a better handle on requirements and enhancement and resourcing as we get into 2021.
      2. Formal curator role has been set up.
    2. Note different levels of focus and different reviewer backgrounds are needed for changing an existing URI vs just updating descriptive information.   Looking for a WG decision before implementing.
      Rob McClure moves that we do this, Rob Hausam.   Vote: 9/0/0, motion carries.  Ted will work with Josh P next week to implement this.   1/21: still pending.
    3. It is noted that a. number of tickets from Lisa should be discussed on the next UTG call; more details from Rob McClure.  May be mentioned at the SD session next week.

  9. FHIR Tracker Items (Rob Hausam/Carmela Couderc) -
    1.  All folks are requested to join the every other Thursday FHIR Tracker calls on this topic because without attendees no decisions can be made.  The calls alternate with these main Vocab calls.

    2. R4B Dashboard here:
    3. R4B Priority Tickets - not yet approved:
      1. FHIR-30585 - Getting issue details... STATUS  Invariant vsd-1 xor or or
        1. Motion by Rob Hausam that this is NOT persuasive, second by Carmela.   Vote:  6/0/3, motion carries.   
      2. FHIR-29968 - Extensible Definition and Usage Notes TRIAGED  Extensible definition and usage notes
        1. Peter moves that this its still insufficiently clear and we need Rob M to help us clarify it, Rob Hausam seconds.    Discussion: Carmela is concerned that we cannot seem to get to closure on this after months of work.
      3. FHIR-25273 - Getting issue details... STATUS  ValueSet purpose, useContext and description definitions
        1. Carmela moves to apply the resolution as defined in the ticket, no second.  Time is called; work will continue on it to continue to try to get it into R4B.
      4. FHIR-30099 - Add Value Set Profiles to Core - VSD Compliant, CPG executable, publishable, computable TRIAGED  Add VSD-P profiles to core
        1. Carmela moves that this is Persuasive with Mod (need to clarify it is only to include the one VSD-P Compliatn profile, not the CPG ones), Rob Hausam seconds.   Vote: 6/0/1, motion carries. 
      5. FHIR-27828 - Getting issue details... STATUS  valueset-expression, datatype expression , language.code
        1. We agreed this cannot be untangled for R4b, and we will table it to hope we can come to a good solution.
      6. FHIR-30319 - NamingSystem deprecated identifier policy required SUBMITTED  Naming System deprecated identifier policy
        1. Carmela moves to Accept, second by Peter Jordan.   Currently until further work on this we have no content changes related to it for R4B.   Vote: 8/0/0, motion carries.     This is added as an explicit task and deliverable for the identifier task force.
    4. We expect that the application of the changes from these decisions will happen in the next month.  Rob believes the they will need to be completed within 2 weeks in order to get it into R4b by the deadlines. 

  10. Gender Harmony Project Update (Carol/Rob M)  
    1. Work underway for ballot comment reconciliation (quite a few of them, many resolved at WGM).     A smaller number of negatives to work through (rest typos and suggestions)
    2. The project will be presenting at the upcoming March LOINC meeting.

  11. Liaison Reports     
    1. ISO (Ted) - US TAG for TC215 call was today.  Next face to face probably I'm 2022.

    2. LOINC (Ted/Rob M) -  Content updates came out as usual in December v2.69; there are quite a lot of consumer friendly terms added.   Note that work needs to be done on the 'Using LOINC in FHIR' page, and Swapna and company have been asked to help to get this in better shape.  The proposals for presentations atat the March LOINC conference are due end of his week. Marjorie Rollins is the new LOINC director.    Rob McClure is chair of Document Ontology subcommittee (Ted is cochair of Clinical LOINC).   Gender Harmony Will be presented at the upcoming March meeting.    March Conference dates are 9-11.  Registration is open.

    3. HTA (Carol/Reuben) -  HTA has not met since the last call; next HTA is Wednesday February 17.  work proceeding for ICD11.   Carol confirms existing URLs from Grahame with WHO.  

    4. SNOMED (Rob H/Reuben/Peter) - SNOMED International has agreed that new COVID-19 vaccination concepts in 20210131 can be added to the GPS (Global Patient Set, the free set everyone can use without restrictions) now...
   SNOMED on FHIR continuing discussions on the designation use extension issues.  

  12. New Business  tabled out of time
    1. EBMonFHIR are creating code systems for FHIR core.  There will be a lot of Concept Maps.  We should ask this project (ie Brian) to give us occasional updates.  We will remind Rob M to bug Brian for an update.   We will figure out when to do this. The document they created to give recommendations for how to create a code system.   The UTG team needs to review this. Note that on the last UTG call we were unable to get to this.

  13. Next call items
    1. See items remaining in RED above (if any).   R4B finalization must be top priority as final changes are probably due the end of that week at the latest.

Call adjourned at 5:30PM EST. Next call tentatively scheduled for Thursday February 18, 2021 at 3:30PM Eastern US Time for two full hours, which would be two weeks from today, the week after the WGM next week.  Will be conformed and potentially changed in the next Thursday evening planning session.

Action  items