Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata
HL7 TSC FMG Meeting Minutes 

(voice and screen)

Date: 2020-11-11
Time: 4:00 PM U.S. Eastern
Chair:Note taker(s): Anne W.
Quorum = chair + 4yes/no
Co chairs
David HayxLloyd McKenzie
Wayne Kubick, CTO
xHans BuitendijkxBrian PostlethwaitexPaul KnappxAnne W., scribe
xJosh Mandel
John MoehrkexBrian PechxMelva Peters
xGrahame Grieve

xMark Roberts

xLynn Laakso

xDidi Davis

xRob Hausam

xEric Haas



  • Roll Call
  • Agenda Check
    • Lloyd would like to add how we want to handle joint WGM meetings
    • Josh adds technical correction process
  • Minutes from 2020-11-04 FMG Agenda/Minutes
    • MOTION to approve: Hans/Josh
    • VOTE: Paul abstains. Remaining in favor
  • Action items
  • Review Items
  • Discussion Topics
    • FMG meeting time(s) for 2021Jan virtual WGM 
      • Meeting will be Pacific time with traditional quarters
        • Decision to meet Thursday Q4
        • Monday lunch time slot: JIRA balloting
      • FHIR-I typically goes and meets jointly with various WGs. In the fall we hosted open, generic sessions instead that WGs could come and join. Which should we do this time? 
        • Decision to schedule a quarter a day for FHIR-I open sessions
    • FHIR IG candidate for JIRA balloting pilot in 2021Jan ballot cycle
      • Melva: If testing goes okay, the plan is to pilot a single FHIR IG in the January cycle opening 12/18. Looking for a FHIR IG that is somewhat contained in scope and voters.  
      • Eric suggests CDEX
      • Melva has 64 different test cases and has requested participation. 3 organizations and several individual voters will do testing.
      • Voting on the candidate IG will all be done in JIRA
      • Will do a special communication to those who sign up for the test ballot
      • Discussion over various aspects of the process including spreadsheets for those who want to use them. Spreadsheet process is allowed, but the work of doing it is on the organization. 
      • Melva is updating how-to documentation. 
      • Eric will contact Da Vinci and WG regarding using CDEX
      • If they say no, Lloyd suggests Subscription Backport. Melva suggests the pharmacy one could work as well.
    • DiagnosticReport - Composition direction considerations
      • Hans reports that they've been talking about diagnostic report pointing to composition or blending the two. Discussion over best approach.
      • Discussion over effect on R4B. If adding an additional choice in a reference that's okay, but adding an additional datatype isn't. Would be the former so it should be fine.
      • Creating another attribute vs. going to composition with more structured information seems unnecessary. Could update the definition to be broader and allow for that. Splitting it up would be more complicated.
    • Technical correction process
      • Josh: We published some technical corrections on BulkData and ran into numerous stumbling blocks due to excess process.
      • Documented here:
      • What would a streamlined process look like? 
      • The process is unclear and has many steps. Steps need to be documented.
      • Melva notes we now have an HL7 essentials page and she is happy to start drafting documentation of the process.
      • Steps: WG approval, implement the changes, send a letter to the CTO outlining the changes, CTO approves, and then publish. Grahame notes there are some requirements on his end that must be met as well; changes need to be clearly described, the version must be updated and correct, and the package list must be updated and correct.
      • Process should only take a few weeks
    • Ballot process documentation
      • Josh: There is lots of information and it's unclear how it all relates. Melva: Flow charts in the FHIR space were meant to clear up confusion and provide a process flow on how to get a FHIR IG out the door.
    • QA things that we need to tighten up (standing item)
      • Carry forward
  • AOB (Any Other Business)
    • Brian Post, Grahame, Josh out next week due to DevDays. Will try to have a call next week anyway. If no quorum, we'll try for the 25th.
  • Adjourned at 5:29 pm Eastern