Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Subcommittee Lead: Jessica Bota 

Supporting TSMG Co-Chair: Reuben Daniels 


Tuesday 8:00-9:00PM UTC

Tuesday 4:00-5:00PM USA EDT

Wednesday 6:00-7:00AM AEST

Wednesday 9:00-10:00AM NZDT 

See for meeting details.


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)


Reuben DanielsSaludax


Jess Bota

Apelon, Inc.

Lisa Nelson


Michael Faughn

National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
Davera GabrielJohns Hopkins University Institute for Clinical and Translational Research

Dan Vreeman

HL7 International


Ted Klein

Klein Consulting

Marc Duteau 

HL7 International

Joan Harper

Canada Health Infoway

John Snyder

National Library of Medicine

Rob Hausam


Alex Kontur

Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Abdullah RafiqiICF

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time Allocation


Agenda Item
  • Rollcall & Proxies
  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Approval of meeting minutes
  • Agenda check
  • Discussed requirements for a web-based terminology editor tool
    • Should include validation and allow constraints to align for UTG/THO
    • Next steps are for UTG development team to write up requirements
  • Continuing to work with Lawrence Gerstley on Jira automation for submitters
    • Configured GitLab
    • Working on adding ability to perform automatic validation using the IG Publisher upon submission of proposed changes
New Business30 
  • Review Terminology Expectations presented on Co-Chair Webinar on 4/7
    • This is related to the section on "Workflow process for use of internal code system identifiers in FHIR and beyond" below
    • Is the expectation that Value Sets to be shared be in multiple places (i.e., THO and VSAC)?
      • What would this mean to CDA IGs, currently add content to VSAC but not THO
      • Use THO to unify Value Sets, as well as clean them up
      • Ted suggests working with FHIR guys to clean up content
  • Only one person has been nominated to be part of an OSG
    • Lisa to follow up
    • Michael will send link to minutes with the nominees
    • Jess to ask Brynn to escalate with FMG
    • See if AMS may be interested in being an OSG voter
  • Discuss tickets stuck in Consensus Review
  • Review automation priorities
  • Approve tickets for THO cleanup items below
    • Does this require an e-vote based on DMP review yesterday?
    • Need to make quorum from main TSMG group (50% - 6 people, and proxies are allowed)
    • Smaller things should be reviewed on main TSMG
Subcommittee Work in Progress15JB
  • THO cleanup
    • Cleanup of old UTG GitHub branches based on policy
    • Update release labels 
    • Fixing the "All HL7 Code Systems" tab 
    • Adding tabs for deprecated content (based on deprecation task force)
    • Need to start discussions (with FMG?) about having ability to render extensions in THO
  • Task force recommendation review and implementation (voting, quorums, WG health, etc.): UTG Task Force Recommendations to TSC 
    • Tracked by HSCR-155 - Getting issue details... STATUS and its subtasks
    • Email sent to Management groups on 3/8 requesting oversight group voters
      • Responses due by 3/31, reached out again today, 4/5
      • FMG has nominated John Moerke for the FHIR OSG
        • Remind MGs that nominees can include WG participants
    • Will continue to follow-up on filling Realm-based and Vocab OSGs
  • THO release schedule
    • Need input from TSC/HQ and they have requested some information from TSMG on documentation and level of effort 
      • Info sent to Rob and Bryn who will follow up with TSC
  • Vocab suggests that TSMG require all code systems to have a Steward
    • UTG submitters would need to get WG approval from the Steward to propose changes to the code system
    • Discussed on main TSMG call but no one wanted to make a motion to make this a policy
    • Steward definition
      • The WG responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the code system (not to be confused with Publisher who makes the content available)
        • This implies that the WG has the domain expertise/knowledge related to the code system
      • The primary point of contact for questions or issues with the code system
    • FYI: Vocab added an extension for steward, there is a proposal to update the definition of publisher (which was intended to represent steward) and remove the extension
    • Might be a good idea to get a count of how many code systems in THO do not have a steward value
    • Michael Faughn performed analysis on the number of code systems without a Steward value
      • Out of 797 code systems, 236 do not have a Steward value
      • Code systems broken out by product family:
        • 38 V2, 147 V3, 47 FHIR, 3 unified
      • Current TSMG solution is to make corresponding Management Group responsible (by either having them assign the WG responsible or by assigning them to the MG itself)
        • In the FHIR space, it could be the resource owner
        • V2 - make the V2 management group responsible
        • V3 - will be a multi-management group exercise.  CMG will take a look at the V3 sets first.  FMG will take a look at the list next to determine which is the appropriate responsible party. 
          • Austin is reviewing the list 
      • Vocab WG to run a query for each code system across FHIR core to identify the resources and their responsible WG(s) for each listed code system.
        1. Rob Hausam will check with Lloyd and whether and how we can do this.
        2. Will bring this back for the Vocab call in 2 weeks.
  • Workflow process for use of internal code system identifiers in FHIR and beyond  
    • Need to determine what kind of content should/should not be added to THO (i.e. if used in a balloted IG)
    • See UTG & THO Subcommittee for related resources
    • Pages to review
    • Suggestions so far
      • Link Pending tab to information about UTG process
      • Adding to the Pending tab should likely be Pro Forma as you are just holding an identifier
      • Moving from Pending tab to another tab should be Consensus Review as that is indicating it is ready for production use
      • Need to explicitly define when a vocabulary artifact needs to be added to THO
        • If used in a production system? 
        • If in balloted IG? 
        • If maturity level (of IG?) = 3 
   Adjournment0 JBCall adjourned at 5:00PM EDT. Next call in one week at 4:00PM EDT April 26, 2022.

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document

Minute Approval2022-04-19 UTG/THO Subcommittee Agenda and Minutes

Action items