Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Subcommittee Lead: Jessica Bota 

Supporting TSMG Co-Chair: Reuben Daniels 


Tuesday 8:00-9:00PM UTC

Tuesday 4:00-5:00PM USA EDT

Wednesday 6:00-7:00AM AEST

Wednesday 9:00-10:00AM NZDT 

See for meeting details.


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)




Apelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
Davera Gabriel 
HL7 International
HL7 Germany

Klein Consulting
OPHL7 International
OPCanada Health Infoway
National Library of Medicine
OPWashington State Department of Health
Abdullah Rafiqi ICF

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time Allocation


Agenda Item
  • Rollcall & Proxies
  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Approval of meeting minutes
  • Meeting time change due to DST
  • Sprint 2 of UTG Jira development items is in progress, focusing on release tracking
    • Finalized release tracking requirements
    • Continuing to work with Lawrence Gerstley on Jira automation for submitters
Subcommittee Work in Progress40JB

  • Task force recommendation review and implementation (voting, quorums, WG health, etc.): UTG Task Force Recommendations to TSC 
    • Tracked by HSCR-155 - Getting issue details... STATUS and its subtasks
    • Email sent to Management groups on 3/8 requesting oversight group voters
      • Responses due by 3/31
    • Will continue to follow-up on filling Realm-based and Vocab OSGs
  • THO release schedule
    • Need input from TSC/HQ and they have requested some information from TSMG on documentation and level of effort 
      • Info sent to Rob and Bryn who will follow up with TSC
  • Vocab suggests that TSMG require all code systems to have a Steward
    • UTG submitters would need to get WG approval from the Steward to propose changes to the code system
    • Discussed on main TSMG call but no one wanted to make a motion to make this a policy
    • Steward definition
      • The WG responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the code system (not to be confused with Publisher who makes the content available)
        • This implies that the WG has the domain expertise/knowledge related to the code system
      • The primary point of contact for questions or issues with the code system
    • FYI: Vocab added an extension for steward, there is a proposal to update the definition of publisher (which was intended to represent steward) and remove the extension
    • Might be a good idea to get a count of how many code systems in THO do not have a steward value
    • Michael Faughn performed analysis on the number of code systems without a Steward value
      • Out of 797 code systems, 236 do not have a Steward value
      • Code systems broken out by product family:
        • 38 V2, 147 V3, 47 FHIR, 3 unified
    • How should we assign WGs for code systems without a Steward? Feedback from Vocab co-chairs discussed on 3/28 and suggest we do the following and announce via Zulip

      • In the FHIR space, maybe it could be the resource owner. Is there a way to report on this prior to any update, and curate the results manually to address code systems that are in more than 1 resource?
      • V2 - make the V2 management group responsible
      • V3 - make the CDA management group responsible (or M&M)
    • RD: From Lloyd's presentation on terminology published in IGs, IGs above maturity level 3 in THO should have a Steward that is the WG primary on the IG and should need to be included in the PSS
    • Could also ask the Management Groups to assign Steward values 
    • Ideal solution: Management Groups assign the Steward values for code systems in their product that do not have one
    • RD: Process for cleaning up the external Code System metadata records included summarizing and making pleas to community if they wanted them saved and those without a response were retired. Perhaps that is the process we need to undergo for things we cannot get stewards for (such as V3) and retire them if not in use. 
    • RD: Work Group responsible for the standard might be the Steward
  • Workflow process for use of internal code system identifiers in FHIR and beyond (Did not discuss yet) 
    • Need to determine what kind of content should/should not be added to THO (i.e. if used in a balloted IG)
    • See UTG & THO Subcommittee for related resources
      • LN: For USCDI, once things are mature then those value sets should be in THO. Also an issue with duplication causing things not to align.
    • Follow-up about the use of Pending tab which is not mentioned in Guidance for the use of HL7 Vocabulary in Implementation Guide Authoring and Maintenance
      • Intent is to share that the CS is under development and also to secure a unique url and once finalized will be moved into an appropriate tab for use by the community
    • Please review page linked above prior to next call

   Adjournment0 JBCall adjourned at 5:00PM EDT. Next call in one week at 4:00PM EDT April 5, 2022.

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document

Minute Approval2022-03-08 UTG/THO Subcommittee Agenda and Minutes

Action items

  •  Jessica Bota Add Steward requirement to Vocab main call 3/31
  • Jessica Bota Find page in R5 spec about the guidance for use of identifiers for IG developers, add to policy grid