Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees Present

Chair:  Paul Knapp
Scribe: Anne Wizauer  


Name
x

Calvin Beebe


Chris Chute
xLorraine Constable
Regrets

Tony Julian

xPaul Knapp
xAustin Kreisler

Wayne Kubick
xThom Kuhn
xRik Smithies
xSandy Stuart
xLynn Laakso
xMichelle Barry


  1. Agenda review
  2. Approve Minutes of 2020-08-19 SGB Agenda/Minutes
  3. Action Items
  4. Discussion Topics
    1. Ted's comments on UTG governance document
    2. Determine discussion points for items prioritized from the parking lot:
      1. JIRA balloting process effects on existing ballot-related precepts
      2. Communicating and enforcing precepts
      3. Need to take the old STU update guidance document and turn it into precepts.
  5. Parking Lot
    1. JIRA balloting process effects on existing ballot-related precepts - add to September WGM agenda
    2. Precepts We Need to Develop - prioritize/analyze risk
    3. Ownership of content/precept on coordination with domain committees 
      1. Issue is around products crossing multiple product families - who owns those?
        1. Draft Precept: The family of the wire format is the responsible family, and the management group of that family would manage it.
      2. Management group vitality assessment precept
    4. Communicating and enforcing precepts -SGB does not enforce but need to make a communication plan
    5. Need to take the old STU update guidance document and turn it into precepts.
    6. Definition of specification - from 2019-04-24 SGB Agenda/Minutes
    7. Large group engagement for standards development

      1. risks/precepts

    8. Precept on mapping coordination - mappings should be a component of cross-family projects. How to represent mapping in a standardized way? 
    9. Create a plan for BAM guidance on process for product adoption/how are new products introduced
      1. How do we implement the BAM? SAIF

Minutes 

  1. Agenda review
    1. Thom notes an issue with an EHR ballot. They are asking for feedback in a different mechanism that they did not get approved beforehand. It is only a draft for comment but we should still discourage the behavior. The GOM says the TSC has to approve any alterations. TSC will look into it.
  2. Approve Minutes of 2020-08-19 SGB Agenda/Minutes
    1. Approved via general consent
  3. Discussion Topics
    1. Ted's comments on UTG governance document
      1. Reviewed. Ted would like to see more than 3 max representatives for oversight groups.
        1. Problem is how to get enough and yet not too many.
        2. Could count a maximum of three votes from a larger pool
        3. Concern is domination of steward/oversight voters
        4. Each should identify at least three representatives
      2. Also mentions that some reviewers/voters might be terminology experts but NOT HL7 members
        1. Austin: Being able to vote in governance processes is a membership function. They can still comment.
          1. MOTION to submit to TSC with the edits made based on Ted's comments: Sandy/Paul
          2. VOTE: All in favor
    2. FHIR registry
      1. There was a webinar regarding the registry on Monday. They are making helpful changes and upgrades.
      2. Lorraine: The question is if we're going to use this as a formal publishing mechanism, what needs to be indicated in the FHIR registry about our formal publication processes and ballot process. What are the impacts on our governance processes? Thom: There aren't rules yet about when things have to be there or should be there. It's a free for all in terms of what gets posted by whom. Versioning wasn't clear. 
      3. Paul: The changes will improve the quality and usability of the registry, but if the registry is going to be useful, there should be rules around who can create content and when it can be published.
      4. Lorraine: Who can submit is less problematic than differentiating between something submitted that has been balloted vs. something being submitted that hasn't been. 
      5. Paul: If we're going to use the registry as a requirement, maybe it should be an extra step in the publication process where HQ puts it in the registry as opposed to individuals doing it on behalf of HL7
      6. Thom: It should be immediately clear what the authorities behind the item are - it is not clearly identified what is an affiliate or HL7 item or something published by a company, for example.
      7. Calvin: Was this presented as a community resource, or an official HL7 publication resource? Lorraine: They weren't explicit about that. They called it the HL7 FHIR registry.
      8. Paul: If the registry is going to be the vehicle we point groups to as they create artifacts to reduce duplication, we need curated goods going in there and a requirement that they put things in there at a certain stage.
      9. Calvin: The FHIR Registry was a community resource originally. There seems to be a blurring of what it is - is it open to anybody? If HL7 is going to publish standards into it, that's a whole other thing.
      10. Austin: Stuff from there may become HL7 standards, which creates other interesting governance problems.
      11. Lorraine: We've go a useful community tool - what is the impact on the organization and our processes?
      12. Paul: To what degree is this a real thing in terms of HL7 and its processes and to what degree should we be governing its use? 
      13. Lorraine: Who is the person or group we go to with our questions? 
      14. Created page to collect SGB feedback
    3. SGB has meetings scheduled from 10-12 and 12-2 on the Friday of the virtual WGM
    4. Determine discussion points for items prioritized from the parking lot:
      1. JIRA balloting process effects on existing ballot-related precepts
        1. Should develop questions and have Lloyd or Jean come to answer them
        2. Need to review our balloting precepts on the next call
          1. Add to next week's agenda
            • Lorraine Constableto forward JIRA balloting documentation links to the SGB list for review in advance of 9/9 call
      2. Communicating and enforcing precepts (45)
        1. TSC enforces but we need to communicate them
      3. Need to take the old STU update guidance document and turn it into precepts. 
        1. Should compare to standards lifecycle document and align using precepts
  4. Adjourned at 10:55 AM Eastern

OPEN ACTION ITEMS:


DescriptionDue dateAssigneeTask appears on
  • Paul Knapp to send documentation to the cochairs of HTA and Vocabulary noting that we've drafted precepts on external terminologies and highlight questions on their currency document.
Paul Knapp2019-11-06 SGB Agenda/Minutes
Paul Knapp2019-09-20 SGB WGM Agenda/Minutes
Paul Knapp2019-09-20 SGB WGM Agenda/Minutes
Austin Kreisler2019-09-20 SGB WGM Agenda/Minutes
Lorraine Constable2019-09-20 SGB WGM Agenda/Minutes
  • ACTION: Paul Knapp will work on a grid with types of change/degree of review
Paul Knapp2019-05-22 SGB Agenda/Minutes
  • ACTION: Need to create precepts on stable identifiers for value sets, concept maps, and code systems
2019-01-18 SGB WGM
  • ACTION: Review proposed updates to the GOM, then determine how/where to represent SGB
2019-01-18 SGB WGM
  • Add Calvin's document on continuous maintenance and the decision to the SGB site.

2018-11-14 SGB Agenda/Minutes