Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Subcommittee Lead: Jessica Bota 

Supporting TSMG Co-Chair: Reuben Daniels 


Tuesday 9:00-10:00PM UTC

Tuesday 4:00-5:00PM USA ET

Wednesday 7:00-8:00AM AEST

Wednesday 10:00-11:00AM NZDT   

Zoom link - 

Find your local number:


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)




Apelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
M (CSDO)PHL7 International
HL7 Germany


Klein Consulting
OPHL7 International
OPCanada Health Infoway
OPNational Library of Medicine
OPRavi Kafle 

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time Allocation


Agenda Item
  • Rollcall & Proxies
  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Approval of meeting minutes
  • The CI build frozen since 2/20 (i.e. no more proposals will be processed) with release of THO v3.1.0 is in progress
    • Grahame and Ted suppressed warnings from missing <caseSensitive> elements 
      • Ted notes that many from V3 also remain (may be retired)
    • Identifiers Systems now in THO
    • Changes in release documented on Published in THO version 3.1.0
    • No publication request created yet
      • Unsure of the process required now that TSMG is newly formed since the last release 
      • Current process models how we track other IGs
      • If we want to continue that, we may need to see how the model aligns with the organizational FHIR IG process
      • To be discussed later: Is THO an IG? It is not a FHIR IG
      • Need approval by Friday 2/25 at the very latest
      • Clarified that in TSMG charter, TSMG has the authority to approve publications of THO
      • Fields needed for release
        • Publication request 
        • TSC approval (link to TSMG approval)
      • Next steps: Create publication request and vote on it tomorrow during TSMG's main call
  • Sprint 2 of UTG Jira development items is in progress, focusing on release tracking
    • Still need to carve out time to work on this, but made progress on updating descriptions for each state in the UP project
  • Funding secured to help with automating some of the Jira workflow steps
    • Josh working with Lawrence to get him started, need to follow up
    • Dan to double-check agreement with Lawrence
    • Biggest priority is notifications
  • THO work in progress (did not make 3.1.0 release)
    • List all resources by <title>: UP-277 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    • Handle external content in "All Code Systems" tab
    • Moving "Using X with FHIR" pages
      • Update from Vocab call
      • Reuben to continue working with Lloyd and Grahame to discuss how those pages will be managed once in THO and make sure they are consistent with core FHIR spec, which will refer to them
Subcommittee Work in Progress40JB
  • THO release schedule
    • Need input from TSC/HQ
    • No policy for announcing freeze/release
      • Ted suggests that the announcement goes on the HL7 website
      • Dan suggests adding it to the HL7 calendar: HL7 Calendars as well as announce via Zulip (which thread?)
      • Lynn posts the announcements of publications in the Announcements stream under New Publication.  THO publications could be announced in zulip there. Or maybe under a new topic of New Publication.
  • Issues raised during THO release
    • No governance policy for <caseSensitive>, suggest discussing on HTA call
      • On discussion on terminology services, if a code system does not identify if codes are case sensitive or not then servers cannot validate correctly
      • Also helps curator by not cluttering with warnings
      • Many affected are retired
      • INFO should be thrown for external code systems, WARNINGS for HL7 code systems
      • What about code systems with content "not-present"?
      • No way for publisher to know whether or not to throw the warning
      • Could ask Grahame to not throw warnings for these as well, based on url being
    • Cleanup of issues/warnings currently being suppressed: see
      • For active V2, work with TSC to have V2 MG fix V2 issues in THO
      • There are a few in V3
      • For external code systems, work with HTA
        • Short term - set to true
        • Medium term - investigate if they are case sensitive for future releases
        • Retired - will not go back and fix
      • Will discuss on main TSMG call and likely HTA
      • Goal for 4.0.0 may be to make it absolutely clean
  • Workflow process for use of internal code system identifiers in FHIR and beyond (DID NOT DISCUSS)
  • Task force recommendation review and implementation (voting, quorums, WG health, etc.): UTG Task Force Recommendations to TSC (DID NOT DISCUSS)
    • Tracked by HSCR-155 - Getting issue details... STATUS and its subtasks
    • Outreach subcommittee is reviewing draft email to Management Groups
    • Review other recommendations
    • Next Steps
      • Move forward with plan to request that Management Groups provide at least one person to be part of an OSG for the Product Family OSGs
        • Draft email provided to TSMG Outreach Subcommittee for review
        • Lisa provided feedback that even after relaxing requirements there just aren't enough people to do the work, although it is important
        • Perhaps the new implementation division should be involved in this issue
      • Ask Rob and Peter for help recruiting for Realm-Based OSG
      • Ask TSMG main call for Vocab/TSMG members for the Vocab OSG
      • TSC clarification
        • Need to ask for clarification for ad hoc OSGs (separate request) and how OSGs may change but membership does not automatically refresh on tickets already in Consensus Review
        • Expectations for when members of an OSG need to change
 Adjournment0 JBCall adjourned at 5:00PM EST. Next call in one week at 4:00PM EST March 1, 2022.

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document

Minute Approval2022-02-15 UTG/THO Subcommittee Agenda and Minutes


  •  Jessica Bota Add documentation about <caseSensitive> to UTG/THO documentation