Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Subcommittee Lead: Jessica Bota 

Supporting TSMG Co-Chair: Reuben Daniels 


Tuesday 9:00-10:00PM UTC

Tuesday 4:00-5:00PM USA ET

Wednesday 7:00-8:00AM AEST

Wednesday10:00-11:00AM NZDT   

Zoom link - 

Find your local number:


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PSaludax


Apelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
HL7 International
HL7 Germany


Klein Consulting
OPHL7 International
OPCanada Health Infoway
National Library of Medicine

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time Allocation


Agenda Item
  • Rollcall & Proxies
  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Approval of meeting minutes


  • Started adding to UTG & THO Subcommittee Policies and Processes page
    • Review and see what else should be added 
  • To be scheduled: Separate session to go through UTG process with those interested (and record)
Ballot-bound content5TK
  • V3 ballot-bound content is only in the V3 schemas and not in the coremif
  • V2 - there are a handful of things that do not go through UTG related to structures (dataType, etc.)
  • Ted would engage with submitter if it needs to go through ballots
  • For IGs, changes to terminology can be resolved during ballot reconciliation and would go through UTG as a Pro Forma request since the community already decided via ballot comments
  • The CI build will freeze on 2/20 (i.e. no more proposals will be processed) with release of THO v3.1.0 to kick off shortly thereafter
    • Grahame is looking into resolving ~400 warnings prior to this release (discussion occurring on Zulip)
  • Working on UTG Task Force recommendations
  • Sprint 2 of UTG Jira development items is in progress, focusing on release tracking
    • Still need to carve out time to work on this
  • Funding secured to help with automating some of the Jira workflow steps
    • Ted meeting with new resource, Lawrence, to determine areas that can be automated to ease burden on submitters
  • Defining requirements for a web-based UTG Editor
  • THO work in progress
    • List all resources by <title>: UP-277 - Getting issue details... STATUS
      • I'm not sure this is possible anymore
      • Look at the all code system file vs. the others for example, it may be doable
    • Add Identifier Systems from FHIR to THO: UP-285 - Getting issue details... STATUS
      • Identifier Systems have been created in a branch, other cleanup work included
      • Discussed Lloyd's comment about enumerating all of the country passport codes
      • Must respond to him about OID issue
      • Suggest due to time constraints we can deal with them later
    • Handle external content in "All Code Systems" tab
    • Moving "Using X with FHIR" pages
  • Removed all instructions and screenshots related to the UTG Editor
Subcommittee Work in Progress40JB
  • THO release schedule
    • Discuss best way to align with ballot cycle
      • Build freeze dates
      • TSMG approval dates
    • THO was originally designed to be released "on demand"
      • Should ask Dan and Viet to weigh in as it affects the implementation community
      • Lloyd suggested that when IGs become STU then the content should be in THO, need to consider how this might affect a release schedule
    • Content deadlines
      • May 2022 - March 27, 2022
      • September 2022 - August 7, 2022
      • January 2023 - December 6, 2022
    • Reuben to add to the agenda for tomorrow's main TSMG call
  • Task force recommendation review and implementation (voting, quorums, WG health, etc.): UTG Task Force Recommendations to TSC
    • Tracked by HSCR-155 - Getting issue details... STATUS and its subtasks
    • Feedback from Product Management session at WGM
      • Qualifications might be too high of a bar
      • Pool of qualified candidates is limited enough already
      • The tooling isn't user friendly enough ("have to be a programmer")
      • "Terminology is not approachable" 
    • Next Steps
      • Move forward with plan to request that Management Groups provide at least one person to be part of an OSG for the Product Family OSGs
        • Consider allowing nomination of participants that are not co-chairs 
        • Based on community feedback, we will adjust to what the community can provide
      • Also request that WGs provide someone willing to learn this process (as an apprenticeship-like role) so that we can bring them up to speed with the help of the appropriate methodology groups
      • Ask Rob and Peter for help recruiting for Realm-Based OSG
      • Ask TSMG main call for Vocab/TSMG members for the Vocab OSG
      • TSC clarification
        • Need to ask for clarification for ad hoc OSGs (separate request) and how OSGs may change but membership does not automatically refresh on tickets already in Consensus Review
        • Expectations for when members of an OSG need to change
 Adjournment0 JBCall adjourned at 5:00PM EST. Next call in one week at 4:00PM EST February 15, 2022.

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document

Minute Approval2022-02-01 UTG/THO Subcommittee Agenda and Minutes