Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Subcommittee Lead: Jessica Bota 

Supporting TSMG Co-Chair: Reuben Daniels 


Tuesday 9:00-10:00PM UTC

Tuesday 4:00-5:00PM USA ET

Wednesday 7:00-8:00AM AEST

Wednesday10:00-11:00AM NZDT   

Zoom link - 

Find your local number:


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PSaludax


Apelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
HL7 International
HL7 Germany


Klein Consulting
OPHL7 International
OPCanada Health Infoway
National Library of Medicine

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time Allocation


Agenda Item
  • Rollcall & Proxies
  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Approval of meeting minutes


  • Started page for collection of existing material related to this subcommittee, open to suggestions on organization
  • To be scheduled: Separate session to go through UTG process with those interested (and record)
UTG Questions 10JB
  • When adding a new code system or value system to THO, when and how does the THO url get created? 
    • Create url in proposal (as early in process as possible)
    • Must do due diligence to ensure id isn't already being used
    • Note: With the url, the last part of the url will be identical to the last part of the file name.  <url value=""/> and CodeSystem-audit-entity-type.xml for example. Url must end in id value as well.
  • Confusion around UTG Editor in documentation
    • Working to remove these images/references ASAP
  • Question about generating OIDs using OID Generation
    • Ask Ted Klein how the OID generation works and how it prevents conflicts with the 'official' HL7 OID registry
    • How do we want to instruct people to use this? All the time?
    • Need to update documentation on the OID Generation page to describe better how to use it, and how it differs from OID registry
  • Working on UTG Task Force recommendations
  • Sprint 2 of UTG Jira development items is in progress, focusing on release tracking
    • Jess and Ted reworking requirements after discussion today and will follow up
  • Funding secured to help with automating some of the Jira workflow steps
    • Ted meeting with new resource, Lawrence, to determine areas that can be automated to ease burden on submitters
  • Defining requirements for a web-based UTG Editor
  • THO work in progress
    • List all resources by <title>
    • Add Identifier Systems from FHIR to THO
      • Confirmed that we will start moving these over as a Pro Forma change
      • Review HTA queue and content in THO to find them all
    • Handle external content in "All Code Systems" tab
  • Removing all instructions and screenshots related to previous UTG editing tools
    • Major sections already removed
Subcommittee Work in Progress40JB
  • Request for THO v3.1.0
    • There has been some mention of a need to publish a new release of THO to support the ballot cycle
    • Still determining if Implementation Guides can be published against the continuous integration (CI) build or if it must be a published release
    • Tickets queued for the next release tracked here: Published in THO version 3.1.0
    • Do we want to proceed with requesting a new release on tomorrow's call?
    • Wayne wanted a release before the next ballot cycle and also so Marc can learn how to do one
    • RD: Need to prioritize things being removed from R5 such as Identifiers Systems, "Using X with FHIR" etc, and would like to see these get into THO before freeze
    • TSMG may want to discuss timing with FMG
    • Not a lot of time to get crucial changes in prior to Ted's leave must freeze no later than 2/20 (anything not implemented in CI build will not get in)
    • Discuss this on TSMG main call tomorrow, 2/2 to land on a decision
  • Task force recommendation review and implementation (voting, quorums, WG health, etc.): UTG Task Force Recommendations to TSC
    • Tracked by HSCR-155 - Getting issue details... STATUS and its subtasks
    • Feedback from Product Management session at WGM
      • Qualifications might be too high of a bar
      • Pool of qualified candidates is limited enough already
      • The tooling isn't user friendly enough ("have to be a programmer")
      • "Terminology is not approachable" 
    • Next Steps
      • Move forward with plan to request that Management Groups provide at least one person to be part of an OSG for the Product Family OSGs
        • Consider allowing nomination of participants that are not co-chairs 
        • Based on community feedback, we will adjust to what the community can provide
      • Also request that WGs provide someone willing to learn this process (as an apprenticeship-like role) so that we can bring them up to speed with the help of the appropriate methodology groups
      • Ask Rob and Peter for help recruiting for Realm-Based OSG
      • Ask TSMG main call for Vocab/TSMG members for the Vocab OSG
      • TSC clarification
        • Need to ask for clarification for ad hoc OSGs (separate request) and how OSGs may change but membership does not automatically refresh on tickets already in Consensus Review
        • Expectations for when members of an OSG need to change
 Adjournment0 JBCall adjourned at 5:00PM EST. Next call in one week at 4:00PM EST February 8, 2022.

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document

Minute Approval2022-01-25 UTG/THO Subcommittee Agenda and Minutes