Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees Present

Chair:  Paul Knapp
Scribe: Anne Wizauer  


Name

Calvin Beebe


Chris Chute

Lorraine Constable

Tony Julian

xPaul Knapp
xAustin Kreisler
xWayne Kubick
xThom Kuhn
xRik Smithies
xSandy Stuart
xLynn Laakso
xTed Klein
xMichelle Barry


  1. Agenda review
  2. Approve Minutes of 2020-06-17 SGB Agenda/Minutes
  3. Action Items
  4. Discussion Topics
    1. Review candidates submitted for CDA-MG position
    2. UTG Governance, continued
    3. Final review of Standards Lifecycles - Draft 
    4. Final review of Proposed Rules: Lifetime of Standards
  5. Parking Lot
    1. Create a plan for BAM guidance on process for product adoption/how are new products introduced
      1. How do we implement the BAM? SAIF
    2. Ownership of content/precept on coordination with domain committees 
      1. Issue is around products crossing multiple product families - who owns those?
        1. Draft Precept: The family of the wire format is the responsible family, and the management group of that family would manage it.
      2. Management group vitality assessment precept
    3. Communicating and enforcing precepts
    4. Need to take the old STU guidance document and turn it into precepts.
    5. Definition of specification - from 2019-04-24 SGB Agenda/Minutes
    6. Large group engagement for standards development

      1. risks/precepts

    7. Precept on mapping coordination - mappings should be a component of cross-family projects. How to represent mapping in a standardized way? 
    8. Precepts We Need to Develop - prioritize/analyze risk
    9. Ballot vs. non-ballot feedback - check on JIRA balloting alignment with policies

Minutes 

  1. Agenda review
    1. Paul wants to touch on the nature of the FHIR 4.1 ballot, FMG has been discussing if it would be scoped to only a few resources changing, whether it would include normative material or STU only. We only have one current build. Could there be changes in a 4.1 that appear there but are scoped out? Lloyd and Grahame are putting together a proposal that we can perhaps discuss next week.
  2. Approve Minutes of 2020-06-17 SGB Agenda/Minutes
    1. Accepted via general consent
  3. Action Items
  4. Discussion Topics
    1. Review candidates submitted for CDA-MG position
      1. Have only received one nomination, which is for Emma Jones. Her skill sets match those of the person leaving the committee.
        1. MOTION that we endorse and recommend Emma Jones to the TSC for the open position on the CDA Management group: Thom/Austin
        2. Austin notes there is a second position open now since Kai is stepping down, and numerous terms are coming to an end. Will have to address those vacancies soon.
        3. VOTE: All in favor
          • Anne Wizauerto add the CDAMG nomination to the existing TSC e-vote
    2. UTG Governance, continued
      1. Ted here to discuss.
      2. Ted reports that they need to update the document based on recent changes made as a result of the pilot process. 
        1. Now have 8 proposals that are out for voting. People are weighing in and commenting. There are a few issues with the user interface - need to adequately represent required blockers. 
        2. There are five different categories associated with product family or special groups such as HTA. The categories are linked to quorum and voter requirements for the oversight groups. These are named categories with named individuals who are expected to provide oversight - they are required to vote, and their opinions have a higher weight than the general community votes. There are two other overarching groups that are required to participate in everything - Vocabulary and International.
        3. Do we want to continue associating these with product lines? What is the process for nominating and approving the individuals assigned to those groups/roles? 
        4. Ted notes issues with getting people to sign up, and then once they're signed up, getting them to participate.
        5. Paul: One idea was that participation would be a member benefit. Policing that would be problematic.
        6. How is the pool of superusers determined? How are those individuals selected? Ted: Right now, the thinking is that the people who have been involved in HL7 vocabulary for 10 years across multiple product families - right now those people are Lloyd and Ted. Vocabulary might make a suggestion of who it is, which is approved by the TSC/CTO. Paul: Usually those things are done by committee as opposed to the chair of the committee. Ted: Then it should be a TSC decision. Wayne: The biggest problem we have are finding qualified people to do this. We have a history of doing things by committee but it slows us up. We should trust the vocabulary group to know who the best people are. Ted: If somebody who has been pro forma put into that position seems to be abusing the position or not doing the right thing, perhaps the TSC should remove them. Paul: We go through the process for separation of concern and checks and balances.
        7. Suggestion that superusers are a recommendation out of vocabulary to the TSC chair/CTO to approve.
        8. Should WGs themselves have a vote? Ted: A proposal cannot be submitted if it does not have a named HL7 WG approval. Someone who wants to make a proposal must work through a WG. If we have WGs who are involved with vocabulary in any way, they should at least sign up to be a reviewer in the process. 
        9. You have to sign up to be a reviewer, but anyone can make a comment.
        10. Submitters and reviewers are separate. A submitter may not qualify to vote on their proposal, for example.
        11.  Discussion over product family methodology groups. Currently the assignment is to product families in general. Two groups are responsible for product families - management groups and methodology groups. Discussion over which of the two groups is most appropriate.
        12. When you sign up for configurations of your reviewer profile in JIRA, you sign up for how you want to be notified for the items in the UTG workflow. If methodology groups want to be aware of things going on in their space, they should sign up to be notified, as opposed to the methodology committees having automatic participation.
        13. Austin: So how is the superuser for a product family allocated? Ted: Right now we just picked names. Paul: Right now you have product family representation but it should probably be methodology representation. Should likely have about four individuals representing each of the groups. 
  5. Carry forward
    1. Final review of Standards Lifecycles - Draft 
    2. Final review of Proposed Rules: Lifetime of Standards
  6. Adjourned at 11:00 am Eastern

OPEN ACTION ITEMS:


DescriptionDue dateAssigneeTask appears on
  • Anne Wizauerto set up a separate Confluence page with JIRA balloting material and questions
Anne Wizauer2020-09-25 SGB WGM Agenda/Minutes
  • Anne Wizauer Precepts on balloting, documentation, GOM materials and multiple level ballots - pull over to confluence and put under balloting category
Anne Wizauer2020-09-16 SGB Agenda/Minutes
  • Lorraine Constableto forward JIRA balloting documentation links to the SGB list for review in advance of 9/9 call
Lorraine Constable2020-09-02 SGB Agenda/Minutes
  • Paul Knapp to send documentation to the cochairs of HTA and Vocabulary noting that we've drafted precepts on external terminologies and highlight questions on their currency document.
Paul Knapp2019-11-06 SGB Agenda/Minutes
Paul Knapp2019-09-20 SGB WGM Agenda/Minutes
Paul Knapp2019-09-20 SGB WGM Agenda/Minutes
Austin Kreisler2019-09-20 SGB WGM Agenda/Minutes
Lorraine Constable2019-09-20 SGB WGM Agenda/Minutes
  • ACTION: Paul Knapp will work on a grid with types of change/degree of review
Paul Knapp2019-05-22 SGB Agenda/Minutes
  • ACTION: Need to create precepts on stable identifiers for value sets, concept maps, and code systems
2019-01-18 SGB WGM
  • ACTION: Review proposed updates to the GOM, then determine how/where to represent SGB
2019-01-18 SGB WGM
  • Add Calvin's document on continuous maintenance and the decision to the SGB site.

2018-11-14 SGB Agenda/Minutes