Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Web Meeting Info:

Join Zoom Meeting - | Meeting ID: 718 380 6281  P: 370553 

+1 646 558 8656 US (New York) | Find your local number:



3:30PM EDT (UTC-4). Note that the calls are now two houris in duration.

Quorum  as of 3:40PM PM EDT.  Call completed at 5:38PM EDT



None received

Planned Agenda Topics and Notes

  1. Roll call and Agenda check (Chair)
    No changes.

  2. Announcements (all)
    • .UTG Pilot underway.
    • Baltimore WGM in September has been changed to a Virtual Event - onsite attendance has been cancelled. 
    • Mrivan (from Brazil, former chair of HL7 Brazil) has apparently caught the virus, best wishes to his speedy and full recovery!

  3. Action Items Check  (Chair)
    1. We acknowledge that we need to take care of the items on this list. Rob asks that co-chairs especially review their action items and resolve or update
    2. Attendees and especially chairs are again urged to finish and check off their action items.
    3. Carmela (THANKS!) did a few items on the Jira VSD project.   She did notice a number that are already done; chairs are ecnouged to check off those that are one.

  4. Baltimore/September WGM Planning (Chair)
    HL7 has just announced that the WGM will be held virtually - NOT in Baltimore onsite.    We need to begin planning for it now.   The HL7 anncouncement says the WGM meetings will be held Monday, September 21 (afternoon) - Thursday, September 24; the Plenary session will be on Monday morning.   The agenda for the virtual meeting will be created soon.  We await information from HQ about times and schedule recommendations for the Virtual Sessions.   Perhaps we can give HQ some suggestions as to ways to setup the sessions so that we can make best use of the limited Human Resources.   Carol will set up the blank template and we will begin to work on it once HQ gives us more information.

  5. Vocabulary Policy Items Needing Decisions (Ted Klein)
    1. We have at least one UTG Submitter who wants to unify one of our code systems that is a different object but same content across the product families.   We need to formally create and endorse the policy of what is done to the objects that do NOT move forward on unification (assuming one of them will be declared the master/survivor).   The suggested policy discussed at the Tuesday meeting of the UTG team and requested to be brought to the full WG today:

      For unification of terminology artifacts:

      1.  Code Systems
        1. Which tabs (product families right now) are they on?    These are the places that must be unified.
        2. Do we want to keep one going forward (perhaps with small changes accommodated by our versioning policy) and do away with the others?  Or create a new artifact that will replace the others?
        3. Either way, one or more of the existing ones will be done away with.  This means:
          1. Deprecate the old object(s).   Document the reason in the code system description/definition field as a change to the status, when, and why.    In bold heading, e.g.  "Deprecated because unification triggered replacement by CodeSystem/v3-ObservationInterpretation June 20, 2020."
          2. The Hx tracking Provenance entry needs the data and versioning and the description shortened perhaps, such as 'status changed to Deprecated
          3. Move the entries for the ones being deprecated from the product family tabs to the "Deprecated/Retired" tab
          4. Move the one being kept (or the new one) to the Unified tab (from where it was, or a new entry)
      2. Value Sets
        1. We believe it is the same process, but ran out to time to work through in detail.
      3. Note this solution requires a change to the text labeling of the 'retired' tab!

        Rob McClure moves that Vocabulary WG adopt a policy for Deprecation of Code Systems by following
        1. Deprecate the old object(s).   Document the reason in the code system description/definition field as a change to the status, when, and why.    In bold heading, e.g.  "Deprecated because unification triggered replacement by CodeSystem/v3-ObservationInterpretation June 20, 2020."
        2. The Hx tracking Provenance entry needs the data and versioning and the description shortened perhaps, such as 'status changed to Deprecated
        3. Move the entries for the ones being deprecated from the product family tabs to the "Deprecated/Retired" tab
        4. Add an element of the workflow status extension ( with the string value of "Deprecated"
        5. Put the link to the Confluence page on the Deprecation Policy from Vocabulary into the Code System definition element as part of the Deprecation comment.

          Rob Hausam seconds.    Carol suggests a friendly amendment #5 above.  Carmela suggests we add language in the modified tab "Deprecated/Retired" to add the link to the policy into the text on the tab.  We will investigate ways to segment the deprecated and retired entries on that tab.  Vote:  10/0/3, motion carries.   

    2. From Skype cochair channel discussion this week:
      Folks out in the world building FHIR IGs need to reference a number of code systems that do not have entires in FHIR (or they are not correct nd need fixing, e.g. CPT) and there is quite a bit of confusion with these folks trying to find what they should put into the ValueSet.compose in their IGs for value sets that reference these.  UTG has "code system stubs" for such things (more to be added) as well as NamingSystem entries for them.   It seems that the FHIR R4 spec if unclear as to whether a NamingSystem for these should be created and the URL of the NS should be used.  The 'stub' in UTG has a URL with and endpoint in UTG (e.g. which is intended to be A REFERENCE to the actual code system whose canonical URI is (which is validated and correct and is the value that should be used for 'system' in ValueSet.compose).   Note that VERY FEW of the UTG stubs have been fully cleaned up to be like this one, which can be considered the archetype of where we want to go with these.   In UTG we also have NamingSystem resources, which is UTG are NOT intended to hold coded content, but to be a convenient handy machine processable format to keep track of current and previously used identifiers for code systems (such as ones published years ago that have been superseded, V2 mnemonics, etc)     On top of all this it is unknown and unclear when and if and how IGs our in the world that people are using the Publisher to generated can access the content in UTG such as the canonical URIs of external code systems.  All the experiments that we are hearing about throw errors of various kinds during the build.
      The Question:  what should be our Vocabulary WG recommention for implementers writing IGs and creating value sets for them and the implementations n terms of whaat to use as the URI?  So that folks can use the Build Errors as a guide to doing the right thing and making their IG 'clean'?   Rob M feels that we should NOT be creating NamingSystems that function like a code system stub (which is a CodeSystem resource with minimal content).  
      We need further discussion   Work will commence on looking into some reported tooling issues that are fogging up the discussion a bit.

    3. From HTA (Reuben and Carol)
      It is clear that we need more regular joint calls with HTA.  In yesterday's HTA meeting, members agreed to the following potential dates for the next joint Vocab/HTA meeting:
      • 24 June 2020.  3PM US EDT UTC-4
      • 8 July 2020
        Can we pick a date for the next one?   Yes joint call June 24.  HTA FCC service; Carol will send details to list.

  6.  Issues around 'extensible' and 'unknown' (Carol/ Ioana Singureanu /  Jay Lyle). Tabled, out of time.   Next call
    1. There has been some feedback, and progress today.   Many email commentaries 
    2. The project team is working through the comments and changers to address the criticisms
    3. The specific instance of the issue was around the use of a SNOMED code in a coded data element that is extensible (this is not about the value set binding).
    4. It is noted that folks are taking liberties with the encoded of stuff just to get their work done.
    5. This original point is now closed. 
    6. Rob notes that we still need to discuss issues around the use of extensible in the CARIN project (see comment below).   This further related discussion will be placed in a slot for the next call.

  7. UTG Update (Carol/Jess/Ted). Tabled, out of time.   Next call
    1. Pilot underway
      1. We need more folks to go to Jira and look at it and comment on the proposals and/or vote on those in Consensus Review.
      2. Any problems or issues we need to know about as the system has not yet had enough testing and we can only fix the problems we are told about.
      3. Feedback and issues from the Pilot are logged on Participating in UTG Pilot Testing
    2. Versioning of UTG objects - only the HL7 maintained code systems and value sets
      1. Note that at this point, all changes are tracked with a Version History entry in UTG (Provenance resource instances in hx bundles)
      2. We are doing change tracking on the HL7 Naming System resources in UTG, as well as the external Code System 'stubs' 
      3. There was an extensive discussion on this topic on the UTG call this week and we need to come to closure.
      4. We decided we need a table of the code system elements to make specific decisions on which ones, if changed, will trigger what type of version update to the code system.   Table on Confluence is here.
      5. For this initial phase, all things that are "clean up" of the concept.definition element (eg removal of typos, garbage encoding, nonsense brought in by the import etc) are a major number increment to the code system resource for v2 and v3.   These should all be a one time cleanup per code system and/or value set.
      6. Post that being done, versioning will follow the approach vocabulary WILL approve and it will be applied consistently.
    3. Easy cross reference of the UTG resource filenames (and their paths in the branch) with the canonical URL so the proper resource to edit for a change proposal has been posted to Confliuence and can be found at: Cross Reference of Resource Elements and Filenames.  
    4. Discussion/Decision items all UTG items below this are out of time and tabled
      1. The plan is STILL to:
        1. Complete the pilot in 2-3 weeks
        2. Get the voting stuff settled with SGB and TSC
        3. Go over where we are with TSC and CTO, and seek Go-Live decision in June
        4. Announce Go-Live to membership and "turn it on" in July
    5. Status
      1. All information is posted on the  UTG confluence pages and immediate priorities are on UTG Project Tasks broken down by milestone (i.e. publish Release 1 of content)

      2. Content is published we are essentially live.  Not yet doing the Jira workflow process for updates though
      3. Education webinars are designed and recording will begin next week
    6. Immediate Priorities
      1. Finish debug of curator workflow - implementation flow
      2. Finalize the voting stuff
      3. Get educational materials ready 

  8. FHIR Tracker Items (Rob Hausam). Tabled, out of time.   Next call
    1. Not yet progress on update of ConceptMap
    2. All folks are requested to join the every other Thursday calls on this topic because without attendees no decisions can be made.  The calls alternative with these main Vocab calls.
    3. Please can folks attend the FHIR tracker calls on the off weeks, we need more people to attend the calls so that we can make progress on the trackers. 
    4. There are a few issues currently marked 'ready to vote'; please look these over as we hope to vote on them on the call next. (same time slot as this call next week). The JIRA query for this is: The JIRA query is named Vocab: ReadyForVote.  There are a number of items in this ReadyForVote state.   We will work through some now:
    5. We tried to get through the one on NamingSystem.title, but could not come to closure; too many knowns on the FHIR governance of spec updates..
    6. We then tried to get through the one on NaminngSystem.use code enhancement for v2 support, and again we could not come to closure as too many unknown in the FHIR governance around maturity level 1 items (code systems, naming system resource, etc) that are code datatypes bound requited to FHIR code systems.  Needs clarification from Grahame/Lloyd.
    7. On last week's FHIR tracker call more tickets have been added into the 'ready to vote' bucket. 

  9. Gender Harmony Project Update (Carol/Rob M) 
    Tabled, out of time.
    Project is progressing.   Working on figuring out "default values" for the 3 notions.   Every call and meeting progress is being made, document defining these is out for review.  A great set of participants from a wide audience are now actively involved and participating.   Unknown if a document will be ready for ballot in September or not, all these items turn out to be harder than folks think once one begins digging into them.    Folks with questions or suggestions are urged to go to the Confluence page for the project.

    An AMIA panel topic was submitted for this in mid-November around HIMSS.

  10. Liaison Reports   
    1. ISO (Ted) - Fall 2020 meeting tentatively scheduled to be in India in October, but unknown what the status is.  Right now my personal feeling is that it will be cancelled.

    2. LOINC (Ted/Rob H) - Document Ontology workgroup had a meeting this week.

    3. HTA (Carol/Reuben) -  HTA continues to work through the external URI issues

    4. SNOMED (Rob H/Reuben/Peter) - For now the Lisbon meeting is proceeding, but not yet a decision on virtual or face-to-face.  But one way or another it will happen. 

  11. New Business
    1. No new business

  12. Next call items
    1. We failed to finish the guidance for NDC11 for the implementers and IG writers, it was NOT completed on the 5/28 call.   A discussion MUST be added on the next call for this.
    2. Add decisions on time boxing call slot items.
    3. Add decisions on chairs calls.
    4. See items above that had to be tabled.
    5. We MUST make progress on the FHIR tracker items especially those noted as ready to vote.

The call was ended and adjourned at 5:31PM EDT.  Next call scheduled for Thursday June 25, 2020 at 3:30PM Eastern US Time for two full hours.   

Action  items