Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata
HL7 TSC FMG Meeting Minutes 

Location: 
https://zoom.us/j/865863526
(voice and screen)

Date: 2020-06-03
Time: 4:00 PM U.S. Eastern
Chair: DavidNote taker(s): Anne W.
Quorum = chair + 4yes/no
Co chairsxDavid HayxLloyd McKenzie
ex-officio
Wayne Kubick, CTO
MembersMembersMembersObservers/Guests
xHans BuitendijkxBrian PostlethwaitexPaul KnappxAnne W., scribe
RegretsJosh MandelxJohn MoehrkexBrian PechxLynn Laakso
xGrahame Grieve



xMary Ann Boyle






xBrian Phinney






xK. Patel






xDidi Davis






x

Agenda

  • Roll Call
  • Agenda Check
  • Minutes from 2020-05-27 FMG Agenda/Minutes
  • Action items
  • Review Items
  • Discussion Topics
    • September WGM planning
    • Clinical Genomics request to remove some profiles from the core spec as part of 4.1
      • Policy on adding/fixing examples
    • Technical correction for CDS Hooks
  • Reports
    • Connectathon management (David/Brian)
    • SGB –
    • MnM –
    • FMG Liaisons –
  • Process management
  • AOB (Any Other Business)

Minutes

  • Roll Call
  • Agenda Check
    • MOTION to accept: David/Brian Post
    • VOTE: All in favor
  • Minutes from 2020-05-27 FMG Agenda/Minutes
    • MOTION to approve: John/Lloyd
    • VOTE: Brian Post abstains. Remaining in favor
  • Action items
    • Reviewed
  • Discussion Topics
    • September WGM planning
      • Mary Ann Boyle here to discuss
      • Lloyd: Can you share where HQ's thought process is now in terms of duration, format, etc?
      • MAB: The current decision is to go virtual and plans are developing. The connectathon will be done separately and in a similar format as the virtual connectathon we just did. There is a week in between the connectathon and the WGM.
      • WG sessions themselves may be shortened to Tuesday through Thursday, with a Clinicians on FHIR on Friday. Lloyd: Will the education sessions be a different week? MAB: We could look at that. Lloyd: The education might be good before the connectathon and spread it out by week. Education, Connectathon, WG sessions. MAB reports there is discussion over start and end times, as well as time zones.
      • David: Committees will need to get their agendas up really early so people can choose what they want to go to. MAB: Do you want to use the same method of scheduling, including for joint meetings? Group agrees.
      • David: Do we still run education sessions are part of connectathon? Lloyd: I would recommend having a prerequisite of watching the relevant tutorial(s) for a given track. David: That suggests there is a linkage between tutorials and connectathon tracks, which we haven't done previously. It might mean extra work for track leads. Lloyd: We'd have to evaluate the categories - stuff that is free to everyone (what is a WGM? What is a Connectathon?), stuff that comes with your meeting registration, and then education independent of the WGM or the connectathon. David: We'll need to get tracks set early and reach out to track leads about doing education sessions.
      • Lloyd: We also talked about setting criteria for when it makes sense to hold a special session during the WGM vs. when it makes sense to take things up on a regular call. If we're going to reduce time slots, WGs won't have all the time they normally do so they'll need to be judicious. Maybe postpone ballot reconciliations and just do them on regular conference calls, for example. David: Maybe joint sessions are what should be focused on. Lloyd notes that we may have many newcomers and cochairs should brainstorm on effective sessions. John: WGs should put out a schedule of work products they're actively working on as a listening session.
      • Brian Post expresses concern about the international participation. Paul: If we do afternoon in North America, it's still palatable for western Asia and Europe. Lloyd: I would almost rather do 5 shorter days than try to cram three sessions into four days. Clinical Connectathon could happen a different week. MAB: We could do the FHIR for Clinicians the second week. Hans: It's really a question of how late can Europe go to accommodate this. Lloyd: We just did a four hour call with folks from Germany, Amsterdam, Melbourne, and North America, and we ran from 3 eastern to 7 eastern; 5 am Melbourne time to 1 am Amsterdam time. Paul: It's way easier to fly there than to time shift. Discussion over how the recent Connectathon worked. MAB: Maybe we tell people to have their joint sessions in a time slot that works best for their international participants. Grahame: There's no proper resolution where people outside US time zone won't suffer. We may need to nominate a time zone for each meeting to be fair. Committees will have to be disciplined to what is important. People who moved between tracks had a hard time at the last connectathon.
      • Could set up a google calendar with the schedule. MAB notes we could do an app with a dynamic calendar for each WG that contains their agenda. David states we should do a web based one as well. Lloyd suggests an app with browser capability.
    • Clinical Genomics request to remove some profiles from the core spec as part of 4.1
      • Lloyd states they'd love to have a technical correctoin to R4 so they could yank profiles that they no longer consider to be good practice. Need a policy on what resources are allowed ot have substantive change, as well as can you add profiles, add examples, make changes to conformance language, etc. 
      • Lloyd suggests that removing a profile could reasonably be a breaking change for some implementations, and that's probably not something that we want to do. It would be better for them to deprecate than outright remove. Grahame: They could leave it in but remove references to it and state that it's deprecated. Lloyd states people would be free to make non-breaking changes like changing descriptive language that doesn't affect implementation in any way. Adding extensions could be okay.  Lloyd starts a Confluence page: Proposed guidance for R4A Scope
      • Grahame has numerous about the R4A approach. He needs more feedback from the community, understanding tooling ramifications, etc. 
      • Will make final decision on 6/24
    • Technical correction for CDS Hooks
      • Carry forward
  • AOB (Any Other Business)
    • No call on 6/17
  • Adjourned at 5:32 pm Eastern