Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair:  Reuben Daniels 

Scribe: Jessica Bota  


Tuesday 9:00-10:00PM UTC

Tuesday 4:00-5:00PM USA ET

Wednesday 7:00-8:00AM AEST

Wednesday10:00-11:00AM NZDT   

Zoom link - 

Find your local number:


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PSaludax


Apelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
M (CSDO)PHL7 International
HL7 Germany


Klein Consulting
OPHL7 International
OPCanada Health Infoway

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time Allocation


Agenda Item
  • Welcome to members and guests
  • Rollcall & Proxies
  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Approval of meeting minutes


  • Started page for collection of existing material related to this subcommittee, open to suggestions on organization
  • To be scheduled: Separate session to go through UTG process with those interested (and record)
  • UTG is fully operational and being used by the community
    • There are known challenges
      • Process is complex for some users 
      • Issues with keeping documentation and training materials up to date
      • Many areas can benefit from automation
      • Tooling to edit THO resources
  • THO is on release v3.0.0 with v3.1.0 planned for late February
    • Jess to follow up with Ted on timeline
  • Sprint 2 of UTG Jira development items is in progress, focusing on release tracking
  • Looking at resources to tackle some high value opportunities to improve UTG/THO
Subcommittee Responsibilities5JB
Work in Progress40JB
  • Task force recommendation review and implementation (voting, quorums, WG health, etc.): UTG Task Force Recommendations to TSC
    • Tracked by HSCR-155 - Getting issue details... STATUS and its subtasks
    • Feedback from Product Management session at WGM
      • Qualifications might be too high of a bar
      • Pool of qualified candidates is limited enough already
      • The tooling isn't user friendly enough ("have to be a programmer")
      • "Terminology is not approachable" 
    • Next Steps
      • Move forward with plan to request that WGs provide at least one person to be part of an OSG 
        • Based on community feedback, we will adjust to what the community can provide
      • Also request that WGs provide someone willing to learn this process (as an apprenticeship-like role) so that we can bring them up to speed with the help of the appropriate methodology groups
      • Ask Rob and Peter for help recruiting for Realm-Based OSG
      • TSC clarification
        • Need to ask for clarification for ad hoc OSGs (separate request) and how OSGs may change but membership does not automatically refresh on tickets already in Consensus Review
        • Expectations for when members of an OSG need to change
      • Approach Management Groups for each product family
    • Suggestion
      • Put Management Groups in charge of assigning product and services OSGs, but they do not necessarily need to be co-chairs
      • Reach out to individuals to see if they would be interested in the apprenticeship
    • Further discussion
      • Many like the weighted voting as those with more experience get more say
      • Possibly consider an appeal process
      • Would be best to have ability to add an ad hoc reviewer (such as certain domains or proposals related to specific WGs) 
      • Need to clarify if when changes are needed for OSGs if they need to go through TSC
 Adjournment0 JBCall adjourned at 5:00PM EST. Next call in one week at 4:00PM EST February 1, 2022.

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document

Minute Approval2022-01-11 UTG/THO Subcommittee Agenda and Minutes