Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair:  Jim McClay

Scribe:  ?

CIC Thursday Call Information

Standing CIC and Project Calls


  • Second Thursday Calls = Report outs:  mCODE, Breast Cancer, Pain, CREDS, HRex, Vanguard
  • Fourth Thursday Calls = All Things Registries Collaboration.  Harmonization of the Frameworks. 

Time: 02:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

To join the call, visit the Conference Calling Center or reference CIC e-mails

To sign up for calls, visit the Conference Calling Center

Regular CIC Calls: at 2:00 ET

     Second Thursday: Cancer Interoperability – All things Cancer (Breast Cancer, mCODE, plus Pain)

     Fourth Thursdays: All things Registries & HRex, VANGUARD

Topic Calls:

CA Interoperability: Every Wednesday 1000-1100 ET

Breast Cancer:     Every Wednesday: 2:00-3:00 p.m. ET

HRex: In STU phase; no present calls.

mCODE: (Cancer Interoperability Calls - Tuesday 2-3 PM ET)

Agenda Topics

Agenda Item

 Discussion and Responsibilities

Minutes and Decisions 
Getting meeting started

 Minutes Approval (3 minutes)

Request to approve by consensus.

Today's Update: 

Project Proposals & Retiring Standards & E-votes (8 minutes)

Discuss active Project Proposals and Project Scope Statements (PSS)

NIB to withdraw:

  • HL7 Version 3 Domain Information Model; Emergency Medical Services, Release 1
  • HL7 Version 3 Domain Analysis Model: Major Depressive Disorder, Release 1
  • R2 Tuberculosis DAM

Withdrawal Request Process

Link to ballot pool for recording NIB?

Today's Update

Last Meeting:

EMS Project:  EMS Project from NEMSIS - Voted in May to be reaffirmed.  Found there were some changes to the spec since it was first made normative.  Would like to update the version that is out there.  Current request to approve the NIB to take the updated changes to ballot in January.  Motion made to approve the NIB for this project made by Jay, 2nd by Kurt. Abstain: 0, Oppose: 0, Approve: 11.   (Jay to come back with more at the next meeting)

ICHOM:  Project proposal has been submitted and is out for review right now.   PSS-1882 - Getting issue details... STATUS

Will put a call on the CIC calendar after the proposal closes to discuss the proposal comments and move along the process. 

Past Update:

ICHOM Presentation (30 Min): Plans for ICHOM Clinical Standard Sets on FHIR ( HL7 Council August 2021.pptx)

See attached slides

Q1: Coverage - country map

Q2: OMOP mapping from ICHOM data model

Q3: First use case is breast cancer  - how will this interdigitate with existing HL7 BC standards (mCode) - Bruce Bray notes significant overlap. Need to attempt to harmonize since already coded in EHR.

Q4: Marti Velezis VANGUARD group checks on ICHOM. Looking for minimal core data sets. Different view on ICHOM standards.

Scope of first FHIR IG - adding to existing IG to cover gap to include ICHOM standard.

Next Step: set up harmonization call to Draft Project Scope Statement.

Robert Dieterle suggests overlap with GRAVITY project common frameworks for quality and outcomes measures.

Vote on formation of new work group called "Human and Social Services Work Group"

Discussion without resolution

  • Russell Leftwich Put Human and Social Services Work Group formation out for eVote

New PSS review/Vote (POLST Portable Medical Orders CDA IG PSS-1827 - Getting issue details... STATUS  

Bruce Bray moved to approve

Vadim Peretokin Second

Vote:10-0-0 Approved


Karen Thullner update on imaging.


Second  Thursday:


May Terry

Mark Kramer

Saul Kravitz 

Target Dates:    

Today's Update

Last Meeting:

Block Vote 5. 

Block Vote 5:     FHIR-32839

Motion made by Sherita to approve the  block  - 2nd by Mark K, Abstain: 3; Opposes: 0; Approval = 8. 

Previous issues with item 32839 - team has decided this item is too specific for the mCODE work and will be dropping them from the mCODE spec.  They are more radiology specific then oncology specific.   Motion to approve the disposition of this item:  Motion made by Saul, 2nd by Sherita - Abstain: 0, Oppose: 0; Approval = 11. 

Past Update:

vote on Block Vote 2

T Key Summary Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution Created Updated Due

please pull 32279 and 32281 and 32245 from this vote

motion to approve the remaining items in Block Vote 2 made by Saul Kravitz, 2nd by Marti Velezis, ; abstain = 2, opposed = 0, approved =5. 

Second Thursday:

Breast Imaging Radiology Richard R. Esmond  Karen Thullner   Kurt Allen 

Target Dates:    

Normative ballot: May 2022   

Publication Request: Feb 2022   

Receive ANSI approval/Project end: April 2022

Today's Update

Past Update: 

In the process of completing the last negative comments and those should be taken care of shortly.  Need to clean up the terminology.  Will make the next ballot on terminology.  Looking to incorporate SOLOR.  Integrate with SnoMED and LOINC.  Currently all terminology is ad hoc. 

Past Update

1) mCODE STU2 Block Vote 4

Key Summary T Created Updated Due Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution

Pulled FHIR-32836 from vote at this time.

Discussion of FHIR-32836 - Getting issue details... STATUS : there is an issue with value set codes. Expect to return as part of a block vote.

2) Discussion of FHIR-32839 Saul Kravitz 

Modality and Technique Value Sets for Brachytherapy Treatment Phase, Radiotherapy Course...

Combinations are to be enforced by invariants vs suggestion from  David Pyle for a hierarchical value set (example: Purpose of Use value set)

  • Mark Kramerdiscussion of interaction between specification and user interface design.

Value set will be published in implementation guide and on HL7 terminology server. Value set maintenance as part of STU process.

(Slide Deck)

 Sherita Alai Discussion of definitions and data sets concerning radiotherapy (part of mCODE).

issue 1: Seeking clarification of difference between Modality and Technique  and reasoning for 3 lists of values

Martin von Siebenthal clarified differences between value sets for Brachytherapy and Teleradiotherapy.

(Slide deck)

compare to NCI CDE Public ID 7063723 (

Brachytherapy techniques are a little different.

  • Plan for a follow up discussion on the next call concerning mCODE and NCI value sets


Saul Kravitz Motion - FHIR 32839 "persuasive with modification - modification -provide clarity on radiation oncology terms with improved definitions." 

  • Janice Knable points out that NCI has trials underway who are using existing versions. Same intent, different wording. 
  • James Tcheng recommends tabling the motion for further investigation.
  • Sherita Alai moved to table, David Pyke seconded -
  • Invite designated technologist/SME to next call (Susan Matney or Rute Martins

Mark Kramer will followup

Second Thursday:

Pain Assessment Project

Susan Matney

Target Dates:    

Today's Update

Past Update:

Past Update:

SM called for attention to this at the recent NKBD towards getting implementors.  Connect this project to the MCC eCare Plan project and their use case that could use Pain. 

Fourth Thursday:

CREDS - Registries

Keith W. Boone

James Tcheng

 Target Dates: 

Today's Update

Past Update: 

No report

Past Update:

IG proposal vote needed Protocols for Clinical Registry Extraction and Data Submission

Motion made to approve the IG proposal made by David P/2nd by Jimmy T. Abstain = 0; oppose = 0; approve 7

Fourth Thursday: 


Robert Dieterle

Today's Update

Past Update: 

No report

Past Update:

Lloyd Test McKenzie requests time on  second Thursday agenda for update on HRex

Fourth Thursday:


Marti Velezis

Kevin M. Baskin


Next Target ballot could be an informative ballot Jan 22

Today's Update:

Past Update:

No report

Past Update:

Marti Velezis VANGUARD continues work on device related value sets.

Administrative: Review of Agenda/Key HL7 Deadlines/Business Tasks

  • January 10-12, 2022 FHIR Connectathon
  • January 18-21, 2022 WGM

All HL7 Calendars (Confluence) 

New "HL7 Essentials" Confluence Page

(5 minutes)

Reminder New CIC Meeting Structure 

  • Second Thursday: Report outs/Updates on all projects.
  • Fourth Thursday: Coordination work on the Common Framework

Today's Update:  

Past Update

Will target these dates for the topics, but will be flexible as needed for project deadlines.

Notes Regarding Next Meeting

Adjournment  Adjourn by consensus.Adjourned at:





Intermountain       CIC Co-Chair     

Intersystems          CIC Co-Chair

UNMC                    CIC Co-Chair

Jimmy TchengDuke                     CIC Co-Chair

Enable Care




Stratametrics, LLC


@Anita WaldenOHSU

Kevin Baskin


@Karen Thullner

Audacious Inquiry

@Michelle BarryDa Vinci

Audacious Inquiry

Michael EinkaufParexel International



Sherita AlaiNCI

Grade Stambaugh

Stephanie Wissig


Brenda Dugganguest

Janice Knableguest

Martin Von Siebenthalguest

Wendy Ver HoefGuest

  • No labels