Dial-in Number

  • One tap mobile
    +13126266799,,3231998494# US (Chicago)
    +13462487799,,3231998494# US (Houston)
  • Dial by your location
    +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
    +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
    +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
    +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
    +1 253 215 8782 US
    +1 301 715 8592 US
    Meeting ID: 323 199 8494
    Find your local number:

Web session


Melva Peters (Chair)Jenaker Consulting
Peter SergentHL7 New Zealand
Margaret WeikerNCPDP
Maggie BuchingerSurescript
John HatemIndependent Consultant
Corey SpearsMITRE
Danielle Bancroft
David HillMITRE
Stephen ChuADHA
Scott RobertsonKaiser Permanente
Frank McKinneyPOCP
Shelly SpiroPharmacy HIT Collaborative

Agenda Items and Notes

Meeting Notes from previous meeting

Project Review

Project Proposals

  • Project Proposals in Review 
    • COVID At Home Test Report - PSS-1883 - Getting issue details... STATUS
      • probably Public Health or O&O to sponsor
      • lab results and observations
      • already piloting in 3-5 states.  externally developed by HHS(?)
      • Pharmacy doesn't need to be involved, but clarity needed, see Melva's comment on the Jira ticket

Project Scope Statements

  • Project Scope Statements
    •  HL7 Medicolegal Death Investigation (MDI) FHIR IG PSS-1885 - Getting issue details... STATUS  
      • sponsored by Public Health
      • Pharmacy as an interested party.  May include medication info

September WGM Agenda 

  • Outstanding Tasks
    • FHIR R5 is now confirmed for May 2022 Ballot Cycle - need to determine what work is needed to move resources to higher maturity and/or normative
    • New Resource - FormularyItem - need to draft resource proposal
    • Melva to reach out to Jean on the resource proposal

Discussion of MedicationKnowledge changes (Jean Duteau)

  • Jean Duteau not present on call

Catalog Updates (John Hatem)

  • no updates this week

Workflow Update (John Hatem) 

  • off topic but discussed in workflow: John Hatem volunteered to write up a cross-domain scenario:  a drug is administered, a rash is noticed, ADR documented, assessment of change, change ordered.  How FHIR resources can be orchestrated, how data can flow from one resource to another.  Workflow, not specific to ADR or to create new resource(s).
  • no workflow issues directly related to Pharmacy came up on this weeks call. 

Healthcare Product Update (John Hatem)

  • Device/Port discussion continues
  • John H has a slide
  • triple lumen catheter would have a parent resource instance and each lumen would be a child of the catheter resource.
  • UDI is on the catheter (parent), not on each lumen
  • John will report that Pharmacy is good with this approach
  • Still need to deal with some semantics
    • Pharmacy needs to clarify versus .device(Device)
    • Hans B has proposed .device datatype be changed to CodableReference.  Not sure that is necessary, helpful ... need to discuss

NCPDP Updates (NCPDP Members)

  • Standardized Medication Profile - Standardized Medication Profile Jean Duteau
    • done
    • remove from next agenda
  • MTM - create FHIR IG Scott M. Robertson
    • clarification of what this FHIR project would be:  The MTM project updated the C-CDA CMR document in 2012.  We’re waiting for MCC eCare Plan care summary to be complete to see if we can repurpose the MCC care summary for a FHIR version of the MTM CMR.
  • RealTime Pharmacy Benefit Check for Consumers (Tim McNeil/Frank McKinney)
    • Frank - goals have be adjusted to be more "monitoring" rather than "developing" (to be finalized on next call)
    • reviewing changes to NCPDP Guide to see if anything needs to be forwarded to HL7/CARIN for consideration
  • Consultant Pharmacist Task Force (Shelly Spiro/Scott Robertson)
    • PSS still in progress
    • still need be aware of process leading to ballot (6+ months)
      • may not be ballot
  • Specialty Enrolment PSS (Frank/Maggie)
  • NCPDP Task Group working on Patient Consent - for specialty prescribing -  Frank McKinney
    • CBCC has agreed to co-sponsor
    • Frank H to forward updated PSS to Melva 

Global Supply Chain Project (Scott)

  • no word from Jose

Medication List Guidance project (John)

  • re-orged by John
  • proposed Medication List Guidance
    • shows the structure of what we need to create
    • Medication Administration Lists
      • draft content
      • list specific medications to be administered and have been administered
    • Medication Reconciliation List
      • draft content 
    • More to be developed
  • new home:  Proposed Medication List Guidance - Pharmacy - Confluence (


Pharmacy Templates

  • STU Extension Request
    • approved by TSC
  • Unballoted STU Update
    • Giorgio to work on updates
    • once done will put out for a STU update
    • Christof to add additional requirements and information

V3 Medication Knowledge

PDex Formulary (Corey)

  • STU2 NIB
    • Melva needs to update NIB (already approved by Pharmacy)
  • Block vote next week (already sent to list)
    • Corey to respond to Melva's email to clarify the restructuring
  • met with NCPDP last week
    • move cost share from drug plan to payer plan
    • allows the payer deal with cost sharing, and the PBM deals with the formularies
    • payer specialty plans can point a different formulary (if/as necessary)
  • Formulary alternatives
    • looking for a simple solution, there are complex versions
    • John will follow up with Scott on how our formulary works, and connect with Corey. 
    • slides showing current & new approach

FHIR (Group)

BR&R managed resources review

New Resource - FormularyItem

  • Resource proposal - target for May 2022

Preparation for Normative

  • QA Conformance Tracker Updates
    • Reach out to Sarah - NHSN IG - implementers of MedAdmin
    • no discussion

Trackers - link to pharmacy unresolved Jira trackers 

Any Other Business

  • current state of triple lumen catheter/port discussions - see above in Healthcare Product Update

Next meeting

  • November 1, 2021