Welcome to the Vulcan Accelerator Confluence page.
What is Vulcan?
The vision for an Accelerator dedicated to connecting clinical research and healthcare was solidified in September 2019 by a group of invested representatives from government agencies, academia, technology companies, standards development organizations, patients, and industry consortiums. Vulcan brings together stakeholders across the translational and clinical research community in order to bridge existing gaps between clinical care and clinical research, strategically connect industry collaboratives, maximize collective resources, and deliver integrated tools and resources.
Growing Digitization in Healthcare: The growing digitalization in healthcare brings along modernized electronic health record standards such as HL7 FHIR. Maturity in this space varies across the markets; however, it is already happening.
Standard data elements and controlled terminology for data collection forms have been in use by many organizations for multiple decades. Common data models for regulatory decision-making and secondary use of EHR data are not new. However, the acquisition and use of EHR data for prospective clinical research has remained largely separate from routine care. This then requires manual chart review to collect data, increasing study timelines and creating opportunity for error. Through standards these processes can be modernized. All stakeholders across the research enterprise stand to benefit from accelerating further development, refinement, and use of these standards toward optimizing the design, conduct and reporting of clinical studies.
- Bridge Existing Gaps: Work to close gap between clinical care and clinical research to improve patient lives, decrease costs and improve efficiency
- Strategically Connect Industry Collaborations: Coordinate strategy between stakeholders and leverage existing work within HL7 and other groups including FDA, HL7, NCATS, NLM, Danish Medicines Agency, SCDM, TransCelerate Bio Pharma, and others
- Maximize Collective Resources: Leverage shared community and resources to be able to communicate the return on investment and return on value that a unified network could realize to various parties, and provide comprehensive recommendations to global regulators
- Deliver Integrated Tools and Solutions: Develop necessary FHIR Research Resources to maturity. Accelerator program will handle identified and prioritized use cases for secondary use of EHR data that meet interested parties needs and goals
Who is involved in Vulcan?
The Convening Members of Vulcan are:
- Danish Medicines Agency
- Duke University School of Medicine
- HL7 International
- John Hopkins School of Medicine
- NIH National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences
- NIH U.S. National Library of Medicine
- Oregon Health & Science University
- Society of Clinical Data Management
- TransCelerate Bio Pharma Inc.
- UT Health San Antonio Long School of Medicine
As Vulcan grows, check back here for an updated list of members!
How can you get involved with Vulcan?
The success of Vulcan will depend on the involvement of volunteers who are eager to make rapid progress on the acceleration of further development, refinement, and use of the FHIR standards toward optimizing the design, conduct, and reporting of clinical studies. We will need experts to contribute towards the creation and development of uses cases. If you are interested in learning more about joining Vulcan please email us at Vulcan@HL7.org or fill out the form on our website.