Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Meeting url: https://join.freeconferencecall.com/vocab

Date

Time: 3:30PM US EDT (UTC-4)

Attendees


Planned Agenda Topics

  1. Roll call and Agenda check (Ted)
    No new items.

  2. Announcements (all)
    •   TSC chair election to be held in September
  3. Action Items Check  (Ted)
    No updates; folks continue to be encouraged to review their task list in Confluence periodically

  4. Atlanta WGM Agenda Planning (Carol Macumber)
    Carol noted that we will have a coverage issue at the WGM.  We will be shorthanded for cochair coverage during the upcoming WGM, and we are looking for a person who will be there and can act as an officially appointed temporary cochair to run sessions and represent vocabulary where needed in other WG sessions.

    Motion to appoint Carmela as temporary cochair for the Atlanta WGM made by Carol, seconded by Reuben.   Vote:   5/0/0, motion carries unanimously.     Peter noted that in the GOM this type of appointment may be called "interim"; Ted will check the language when he speaks with Karen.



  5. Canonical URI policy for Code Systems published by organizations other than HL7 (Ted/Rob M)
    from 8/15 discussion:
    (Issue about URIs that reference code systems for v2 and v3:
    It is unclear and done in many different ways what the canonical URL resolves (if it is resolvable at all) to; right now it is usually a webpage, and sometimes a FHIR resource.  Ted noted that the UTG resources have some additional information in them above and beyond what is currently in the FHIR resources. 
    The problem is that for the resources in FHIR when you go to the canonical URI you get to the resource.   We have general practice for terminology now that the canonical URI either never gets you to the resource instance, or it may or may not and you have no way to know.   Right now UTG has been implemented in such a way that the canonical URL for code systems and value sets gets you to a web page (for HL7 content this is generated by IGPublisher) which is human readable.   Server developers are expressing an issue that they need to be able to get to the resources for code systems and value sets daily and consistently.
    Australia has implemented a solution which is pretty nice; there are multiple ways of solving this effectively and consistently.
    We need agree (Vocabulary WG, FHIR, and HTA at least) on the design, and to adopt this as an HL7 policy ASAP, schedule any changes to the HL7 tooling and implementations and IGs, and then publicize it so that organizations outside of HL7 do this for their published terminologies in the same consistent way.  The very first one that needs this IMMEDIATELY is X12.  )

    How can we make progress on this?  The immediate need is the noted X12N issue (see comment from last call) and the half dozen or so items from Canada where they have not gotten response from the stewards or have no clue what is going on with some of these code systems in V3.   

    Initial thoughts:
    1. We have put together a short 'hack' for UTG using NamingSystem but this does not solve the problem it basically just puts it off
    2. This should absolutely be Brought up to HTA in Atlanta but we really need to put together some recommendations for them
    3. If we want it addressed by HTA, we need to get it on Julie's radar ASAP
    4. FHIR has taken the approach of creating some under http://hll7.org/fhir and some they are using the URN form with the OID
    5. V3 for UTG import took the approach of creating URIs under http://terminology.hl7.org/v3-extTemp-xxxx.  Note that all of these external code systems have OIDs in v3, but all of these OIDs are created in the internal HL7 code system branch (2.16.840.113883.5)
    6. We are out of time and need to defer the discussion to the next call.  Rob Hausam willl work a bit on this to prepare for next call.  
    7. Carol suggests we use some time on next week's UTG call to talk about this; yes we will do that.


  6. UTG Update (Ted)
    Alpha testing has completed.
    Teis staring on the updates to the configuration/control files for the page build, with help from Rob Hausam.
    We are looking into the data flow for the updated architecture using GitHub branches for the consensus review proposals.
    Call next Tuesday.


  7. Glossary Project (Heather)
    No updates as key participant not available.   Should probably discuss what we will do about this project during our project review in Atlanta.


  8. FHIR items (Rob Hausam)
    Out of time, tabled to next call.


  9. Concept Map Task Force Report (Rob Hausam and Carmela)
    Projet update:  it is very close to being included in the FHIR Current Build (will happen today).  There remain some issues around some of the additional changes to address various scattered dependenciesk notably around 'equivalence' and the replacement of these with relationships.   We talked about adding a "nomap" element but we do not have documentation on the details of what this element should be or how it should be precisely defined.  Rob presented and showed the changes he has done so far, and then showed the 'nomap' item.  We talked through unmapped vs. unmappable, whether we need a boolean or a code, whether there should be an invariant where if no target exists then you must have the reason in the 'nomap' element, etc.   More work remains to be done, we may need to reach out to Michael for his thoughts.  Rob will wait until we get more information before putting it into the current build.


  10. Gender Harmony Project Update (Carol/Rob M) 
    Since the last project call (the most recent call was canceled due to vacations and travel schedules oof the principals) Rob delivered the progress at the ONC Interoperability Forum last week.  Participation and momentum continues to build, and now it is being looked into how the outputs of the project can be included in the US CDI regulations coming out.  The context definitions have been whittled down to only 3 context definitions:   gender identify, legal gender, and sex phenotype.     Currently the US CDI only has 'administrative sex' in it, and this is a conflation of the contexts.  Participation is encouraged. 


  11. Vocab Facilitator Review (Heather Grain)
    No updates as key participant not available.   Needs to be reexamined in the light of upcoming UTG.


  12. Liaison Reports
    a. ISO (Ted)Many ballots opening and completing in TC215.   Plenary first week of November in Daegu, Korea. where Ted will attend, as will Rob H (covering for Wayne and Ed at the JIC)..    Ted and Rob will discuss the WG coverage.  

    b. LOINC (Ted/Rob H) - Registration for Fall meeting in Barcelona October 23-25 now open.  Ted will be attending, and help run the Clinical LOINC meeting on Friday 10/25.

    c. SNOMED (Rob H/Reuben) - July 2019 International Edition has been released. Free SNOMED subsets are available in the refset tool and will be available in the Global Patient Set on Sept 1st and will be distributed in a TSV rather than RF2.  Working on IGs for SNOMED on FHIR and hopefully will be ready for some review for the Malaysia meeting the end of October.  


  13. New Business -


    Next call items
    Try to get a vocab decision on a presented URI proposal to take forward to Atlanta.


Call adjourned at 5:00 pm. The next main Vocabulary WG call scheduled for September 12 - which will be the last WG call this cycle before the WGM.

Action items

  • Ted Kleinreach out to Frank Oemig and Rob Snelick on topics for our joint Thursday Q1 session
  • Ted Klein notify Karen at HQ that Carmela has been voted on unanimously to be a temporarily vocabulary cochair for the Atlanta WGM.
  • Reuben Daniels will contact Michael on the Concept Map issue.
  •