1. Project Name and ID
Date : 7/9/2021
2. Sponsoring Group(s) / Project Team
2.a.Primary Sponsor/Work Group:
Conformance, Vocabulary, PEST, Education, ITS, INM
Indicate the level of involvement that the co-sponsor will have for this project:
2.c Project Team
Project facilitator (1Mandatory)
Frank Oemig, Hans Buitendijk
All V2 Chapter owners/editors
Multi-disciplinary project team (recommended)
Domain expert rep
Rob Snelick, Brian Pech, John Garguilo, Craig Newman, Tony Julian, (at some point ask Virginia Lorenzi an Education person to participate throughout)
Business requirement analyst
Conformance facilitator (for IG projects)
Other facilitators (SOA, etc)
Implementers (2 Mandatory for STU projects)
FHIR Project Note: The implementer requirement will be handled by the “balloting” project. Therefore work groups do not fill out the above section. However, feel free to list implementers specific to your work group’s resources if you know of any.
- Project Definition
2.a. Project Scope
This is a fresh-Look initiative to modernize and make it easier to the developer to create and maintain high-quality specifications, and to the implementer to access and use the specifications in their efforts.
- Consolidate technical terminology to provide the specification (e.g., R vs. RE vs. O, etc.)
- Improve ability to maintain consistency across “chapters” (e.g., re-use and referencing of common componentry) ensuring updates are applied everywhere.
- Publish V2 on a website as primary source for implementers
- Replace word and pdf with a new source of truth on a webbased tool from which everything is derived.
The project will be organized in four phases:
- Phase I - Establish target publication format.
- Re-organize content
- Consider alignment with FHIR approach
- Generate and review draft HTML
- Phase II - Establish a plan
- Create a development plan that addresses:
- Overall structure
- Ability to modularize enabling smaller, targeted publications
- Support continuous maintenance
- Modernizing conformance constructs.
- Enabling mapping between IGAMT and V2+ (e.g., link back to source from IGAMT to V2+)
- Documentation tools for source specifications
- Maintain simplicity to maintain the specification while simplifying implementer access as well.
- Consider IGAMT to aid in the maintenance
- Overall structure
- Create an internal marketing/outreach plan
- Create a development plan that addresses:
- Phase III - Implement
- Phase IV – Education and Deployment
This information is required by ANSI for all ballots. Briefly explain the reason behind the need for this project. This may be related to legislative requirements, industry need, or similar justifications.
2.b. Project Need:
V2 is difficult to be
- Consistency across chapters is challenging to achieve (presentation, content, style)
- Generating pdfs
- Variations in level of activity across chapters, yet impacting others.
- Modular updates that isolate the change and minimize publication scope.
- Inconsistent change tracking / request proposal.
- Finding editors to perform the necessary updates.
- Inability to easily/consistently create implementation guides
- Inability to easily/consistently generate and integrate with testing tools
- Kept current
- Long time line between versions.
- Dependencies across chapters requiring everything to move together rather than targeted components individually.
2.c. Security Risks
Will this project produce executable(s), for example, schemas, transforms, style sheets, executable program, etc. If so the project must review and document security risks.
2.d. External Drivers
National programs, e.g., ONC Certification programs, that require consistency and clear, unambiguous implementation guidance to measure conformance.
2.e. Project Objectives / Deliverables / Target Dates
(Dependency on Chapter “2B.A” Conformance updates)
|September 2020 (subject to v2+ Publishing date)|
2.f. Common Names / Keywords / Aliases
V2+, IGAMT on V2
2.h. Project Dependencies
Chapter 2.B Conformance Updates (PI ID not known)
2.i. Project Document Repository Location
2.j. Backwards Compatibility
Are the items being produced by this project backward compatible?
For V3, are you using the current data types?
(Refer to TSC position statement on new projects using R2B for more information on the current V3 data types)
If you check 'No' please explain the reason:
If desired, enter additional information regarding Backwards Compatibility.
2.k. External Vocabularies
Will this project include/reference external vocabularies?
If yes, please list the vocabularies: VSAC and others depending on what we prepopulate.
- Products (check all that apply)
Non Product Project - (Educ. Marketing, Elec. Services, etc.)
V3 Domain Information Model (DIM / DMIM)
V3 Documents – Administrative (e.g. SPL)
Clinical Context Object Workgroup (CCOW)
V3 Documents – Clinical (e.g. CDA)
Domain Analysis Model (DAM)
V3 Documents - Knowledge
Electronic Health Record (EHR) Functional Profile
V3 Foundation – RIM
V3 Foundation – Vocab Domains & Value Sets
V2 Messages – Administrative
V3 Messages - Administrative
V2 Messages - Clinical
V3 Messages - Clinical
V2 Messages - Departmental
V3 Messages - Departmental
V2 Messages – Infrastructure
V3 Messages - Infrastructure
FHIR Implementation Guide
V3 Rules - GELLO
V3 Services – Java Services (ITS Work Group)
V3 Services – Web Services (SOA)
New Product Definition
New Product Family
Creating/Using a tool not listed in the HL7 Tool Inventory
If you checked New Product Definition or New Product Family, please define below:
- Project Intent (check all that apply)
Create new standard
Supplement to a current standard
Revise current standard (see text box below)
Implementation Guide (IG) will be created/modified
Reaffirmation of a standard
Project is adopting/endorsing an externally developed IG:
New/Modified HL7 Policy/Procedure/Process
Specify external organization in Sec. 6 below;
Withdraw an Informative Document
Externally developed IG is to be (select one):
White Paper (select one):
Adopted - OR -
Balloted Informative OR
Non-balloted WG White Paper
N/A (Project not directly related to an HL7 Standard)
If revising a current standard, indicate the following:
- Name of the standard being revised
- Date it was published (or request for publication, or ANSI designation date)
Dec 6 2019
- Rationale for revision
Continued evolution of the v2 standard, specifically a modernization of the standard including (but not limited to) improved content maintenance tooling and web publication to bring it in line with other product families.
- The relationship between the new standard and the current standard (is it designed to replace the current standard, a supplement to the current standard, etc.)
v2+ will replace v2.9 as the current normative standard
4.a. Ballot Type (check all that apply)
Comment (aka Comment-Only)
Joint Ballot (with other SDOs)
N/A (project won’t go through ballot)
STU to Normative - OR -
Normative (no STU)
4.b. Joint Copyright
Check this box if you will be pursuing a joint copyright. Note that when this box is checked, a Joint Copyright Letter of Agreement must be submitted to the TSC in order for the PSS to receive TSC approval.
Joint Copyrighted Material will be produced?
- Project Logistics
5.a. External Project Collaboration
NIST, Frank Oemig
For projects that have some of their content already developed:
How much content for this project is already developed?
Indicate % here
Was the content externally developed (Y/N)?
If Yes, list developers
Is this a hosted (externally funded) project?
Universal - OR -
Check here if this standard balloted or was previously approved as realm specific standard
Enter “U.S.” or name of HL7 affiliate(s) here. For projects producing deliverables applicable to multiple realms, document those details here.
For Investigative projects, indicate if the project is planned to be Realm Specific or Universal, if known. Work Groups are encouraged designating project a Universal project initially, and discover which Realms can contribute to the work effort during the discovery phase of the project. Note: This status is subject to change during the investigative process.
5.c. Project Approval Dates
Affiliate Approval Date (for Affiliate Specific Projects):
US Realm Steering Committee Approval Date
Sponsoring Work Group Approval Date: Publishing
|Co-Sponsor Group Approval Date: Conformance||2019-05-21|
|Co-Sponsor Group Approval Date: Electronic Services and Tools||2019-06-04|
|Co-Sponsor Group Approval Date: ITS||2019-05-21|
|Co-Sponsor Group Approval Date: Vocabulary||2019-07-01|
|Co-Sponsor Group Approval Date: INM||2019-05-07|
V2 Management Group Approval Date:
Architectural Review Board Approval Date:
Steering Division Approval Date :
Technical Steering Committee Approval Date:
TSC Approval Date 2019-09-09
TSC has received a Copyright/Distribution Agreement (containing the verbiage outlined within the SOU), signed by both parties.