The CARIN Alliance
The CARIN Alliance is a non-partisan, multi-sector alliance co-founded by David Blumenthal, David Brailer, Aneesh Chopra, and Mike Leavitt. The Alliance is led by distinguished risk-bearing providers, payers, consumers, pharmaceutical companies, consumer platform companies, health IT companies, and consumer-advocates who are working collaboratively with other stakeholders in government to overcome barriers in advancing consumer-directed exchange across the U.S.
Our vision is to rapidly advance the ability for consumers and their authorized caregivers to easily get, use, and share their digital health information when, where, and how they want to achieve their goals. Specifically, we are promoting the ability for consumers and their authorized caregivers to gain digital access to their health information via non-proprietary application programming interfaces or APIs. We envision a future where any consumer can choose any application to retrieve both their complete health record and their complete coverage information from any provider or plan in the country.
What is Consumer-Directed Exchange?
Consumer-directed exchange occurs when a consumer or an authorized caregiver invokes their HIPAA Individual Right of Access (45 CFR § 164.524) and requests their digital health information from a HIPAA covered entity (CE) via an application or other third-party data steward.
Health Plan Workgroup
- Objective: Develop a consumer payer data set (similar to Blue Button 2.0) and corresponding implementation guide for the set of resources that payers can display to consumers via a FHIR API
- Charter: CARIN Blue Button and Health plan workgroup charter
- Work in Development: CARIN Blue Button Implementation Guide (this is still in process and should not be viewed as final) and the PSS for CARIN Blue Button
Consumer-facing Real-time Pharmacy Benefit Check Workgroup:
- Objective: Develop a consumer-facing FHIR implementation guide that maps the NCPDP real-time pharmacy benefit check EDI transaction standard to FHIR and includes cash price from the GoodRx API.
- Charter: Consumer-facing real-time benefit check workgroup charter
- Work in Development: PSS for CARIN Consumer-facing Real-time Pharmacy Benefit Check
Join the CARIN Alliance
|Ryan Howells||Principal||Leavitt Partners|
|Dave Lee||Director||Leavitt Partners|
Policy, Real-time Pharmacy Benefit Check, Trust Framework workgroups
|Mark Roberts||Associate||Leavitt Partners|
Contracting, Membership, Mailing Lists, Meeting Invites, Quarterly Meetings, Health Plan and Policy workgroups
|Lauren Ward||Associate||Leavitt Partners|
Digital Identity and Trust Framework workgroups
|Pooja Babbrah||Senior Consultant||Point of Care Partners||Pooja.Babbrah@pocp.com|
|Amol Vyas||Technical Architect||Cambia Health Solutions|
Lead for the CARIN Blue Button implementation guide