Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date: Sunday 13th January 2019

Quarter: Q1 - NOT QUORATE - no co-chair present

   Q2 - QUORATE 

Attendees:

Attendee type:

H - HTA Member

O - observer

L - liaison

Attendance Q1:

P - present

A - Apologies


Attendance Q2:

P - present

A - Apologies

Name

Affiliation

H

A

P (remote)

Heather Grain

Global eHealth Collaborative

H

P

P

Rob McClure

MD Partners

H

A

A

Jean Narcisi

American Dental Association

H

P

P

Julie James

Blue Wave Informatics LLP

H

A

Roel Barelds

ICT Group

HPPSusan MatneyIntermountain Health
HA

A

(failed to make remote connection)

Sylvia ThunHL7 Germany

L

A

A

Jim Case

National Library of Medicine/IHTSDO

L

P

Wayne Kubick

HL7 (CTO)

L

A

A

Robert Hausam

Vocabulary Co-chair

L

P

Jane Millar

SNOMED International

L

A

P

Carol Macumber

Vocabulary Co-Chair

LAATed KleinKCI Inc.
LAARussell HammVocabulary Co-Chair
OPN/AAlexander HenketHL7 The Netherlands
OPN/AMay TerryMITRE Corporation

 

Quorum Requirements Met (3):  No co-chair present

Minutes Approved as Presented 

Minutes approved on the HTA Teleconference 2019-01-31; proposed SM; Second RMcC. For: 3 Abstain: 2 Against: 0


Notes from Quarter 1

Ongoing Purpose of the HTA and its contribution to the HL7 Standards Development Process

One of the key reasons for the existence of the HTA was, and remains, to be the single point of contact for terminology content management (requests for change, ongoing updates, feedback etc.) from external code systems that are referenced in HL7 standards.  There has been a particular focus on working with SNOMED International, and that should continue, particularly as terminology to support the International Patient Summary continues to be developed.

The HTA has an overview with purpose and scope on the main HL7 website: see http://www.hl7.org/Special/committees/termauth/overview.cfm This was written in 2015 and should be reviewed and updated, and particularly to:

  • make reference to the HTA's role and relationships with the Technical Steering Committee (TSC) and the Vocabulary Work Group
    • HTA should operate at a strategic level, setting strategy, defining policy and process, whereas the Vocabulary WG should be operational, implementing that strategy in standards development 
  • describe the HTA's involvement in the project process that is now used to develop HL7 standards, so as to best meet the HTA's objectives, and particularly where that involves external code system providers (for example in the FHIR Terminology Binding project)

Note that formal liaison between HL7 and external code system providers is the CTO (Wayne) although the HTA should provide advice to him in that role.

Minutes from Quarter 2

Election of Co-Chair

As Sandy Stuart, the second co-chair of the HTA is no longer a member (the Minutes note thanks for her service, and also for Ted Klein who also stepped down at the end of his term), the group needs a second co-chair.  

Julie was nominated by SM, seconded by RMcC and there were no abstentions in voting to accept that nomination.

The meeting was now fully quorate and the main item of business was to discuss the recent Vocabulary WG policy statement on use of retired HL7 authored terminology content.

Policy on Use of Retired of Legacy HL7 Code Systems

See the full document at Policy on use of Retired or Legacy HL7 Code Systems

This policy was developed in the Vocabulary WG in response to an enquiry from Canada about content in one of the domain specific code systems that HL7 authored in the early days of HL7 V3.  An initial version was agreed in December 2018 and this was discussed by the HTA and several amendments made.  Carol (Co-chair, Vocab WG) was tasked with taking the amended version back to the Vocab WG for approval.

Next Meeting and Teleconferences

The group agreed to continue teleconferences fortnightly on Thursday evening (21.00 UTC) alternating with the main Vocabulary WG TCs.

The next face to face meeting of the group will be at the Montreal WGM in May; Q1&2 on Sunday.

JMJ to set up the conference call schedule and to make the room booking for the May WGM (done).

All were thanked for their attendance and the meeting was closed.

Action items