ANSI Anti-Trust Policy:  Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Meeting Details

Date: April 14, 2023

Time: 1PM ET

Coordinates:  Join Zoom meeting: | Meeting ID: 510 046 7805 | +1 929-436-2866-US (New York)


Marti Velezis (Donrisa / FDA), Ralf Herzog (Roche), JD Nolen (Mercy Children's Hospital), Riki Merrick (Vernetzt / APHL), Kathy Walsh (Labcorp), Alicia Francis, Rob Hausam (Hausam Consulting) Amy McCormick (Epic), Sara Armson (ONC), Sheryl Taylor (NIST)

Co-chair: JD Nolen

Scribe: Riki Merrick

  • Quorum (Co-Chair + 2) Met 


  • Standing Topics 
    • Special Topics
    • Workflow updates
  • Other?

Meeting Resources

JIRA Dashboards:

Meeting Minutes

Previous Meeting Notes

Standing Topics

  • Yes
  • No

eSignature Update

  • Waiting for CMS - 1 June check-in

eSignature Update

2023-02-24 OO - LAB/LIVD has PAC feedback discussion

Any Update?

Race/Ethnicity Topics from OMB and CDC

  • Waitning to see what comes back from the feedback - July 1 check in?

New Rule on Race/Ethnicity from OMB 


ONC New Proposed Rule


  • LIVD calls being now every other Thursday 2 - 3 PM EDT starting May 4, 2023

Update from FHIR Lab Workflow call - not discussed

JIRA Triage

  • Yes
  • No

V2 Lab JIRAs (link)

  • V2-25518 – Update the concept in RFR to account for Gender Harmony updates – should change Administrative Sex to Sex Parameter for Clinical Use as that is the concept we are really using to define reference ranges
    • So change the name to Sex Parameter for Clinical Use and the value set that is linked to from HL70001 to HL70828 in RFR datatype in Chapter 2C
    • And update the examples where needed
    • Adopt the changes in all places where RFR is used
    • Motion to find persuasive with mod – Ralf Herzog, Riki Merrick
      • Further discussion:
        • The new table was proposed by Gender Harmony
        • The name was changed from Sex for Clinical Use to Sex Parameters for Clinical Use
        • Against: 0, abstain: 1, in favor: 8
      • Non-compatible – substantive
    • He linked them to several ballot comments
    • Send to GH main group and see what they say – add comment with this vote
  • V2-25391 – SPM-1 Set ID
    • V2 Management discussed this in more general terms – the best practice is to reset for the context it belongs to, but others do it for the entire message (for error tracking) – so in the base we don’t want to look it down, but be explicit that an implementation guide must state how to treat the set ID and with which number to start.
    • Review the V2 Management Notes and bring back with updated text proposal, based on the quality criteria discussion and add as proposed disposition @Riki
  • V2-25384 – V2-FHIR mapping of MSH-7
    • Is asking to add a comment that this mapping can ONLY happen if timezone-offset is populated in MSH-7, because that is required in bundle.timestamp per the base definition of datetime
      • is a comment enough, or do we need a different FHIR datatype?
      • If you get a time, but no timezone-offset, then you have 2 options:
        • Guess
        • Strip off the time
        • Neither of this is great for mapping and relative time is still important to retain
      • Add to WGM agenda with FHIR-I joint and copy this text into a comment on the ticket
  • V2-25361 – how to echo back the Placer Order number when having received an unsolicited POCTresult
    • We don’t have an application level ACK message structure for ORU messages, so we don’t have a way to send the Placer Order number.
    • You could use ORA messages, similar to how we do it for the ORU^R30
    • Add to WGM agenda for joint with devices – Tuesday Q4
  • V2-25341 – OBX-5 for specimen rejection in LRI
    • Is OBX-5 required when OBX-11 = X or N since we added OBX-32?
      • On first search of the latest version of LRI cannot find that sentence
      • @Riki will do some research if this is still an issue

FHIR Lab JIRA (link)

Add JIRAs for Next time – related to Lab

From Chat:

Call Adjourned at 1:59 PM ET

Next Meeting: April 21, 2023

Next Time: 

<Add any overflow items here>