ANSI Anti-Trust Policy:  Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Meeting Details

Date: March 24, 2023

Time: 1PM ET

Coordinates:  Join Zoom meeting: https://zoom.us/j/5100467805 | Meeting ID: 510 046 7805 | +1 929-436-2866-US (New York)


Attendees: 

Marti Velezis (Sonrisa/FDA), Hans Buitendijk (Orcale), JD Nolen (Mercy Children’s Hospital), Riki Merrick (Vernetzt, LLC / APHL), Andrea Pitkus (UW), Kathy Walsh (Labcorp), Sara Armson (ONC), Sheryl Taylor (NIST), Jorge Lopez, Craig Newman (Altarum), Ralf Herzog (Roche), Scott Fradkin (Flexion), Rob Hausam (Hausam Consulting)

Co-chair: Hans Buitendijk

Scribe: Hans Buitendijk, Riki Merrick

  • Quorum (Co-Chair + 2) Met 

AGENDA

  • Standing Topics 
    • Special Topics
    • Workflow updates
  • JIRAs Triage
  • Other?

Meeting Resources

JIRA Dashboards:

Meeting Minutes

Previous Meeting Notes







Standing Topics


Discussed:
  • Yes
  • No

eSignature Update

  • Waiting for CMS - 1 June check-in

eSignature Update

2023-02-24 OO - LAB/LIVD has PAC feedback discussion

Any Update?

New Rule on Race/Ethnicity from OMB

Due date is April 12, 2023  

  • They now want to conflate 4 different things into 1 field: race / ethnicity/ nationality / lineage = descendants of slaves or Asian immigrants before a specific time
    • Not good to conflate – currently those are different fields in the standard
    • They asked questions of which solution would work best – need to better understand the options they are presenting in the questions to decide
    • Kathy will create the first draft - for review next week
    • HL7 already submitted OMB comments - will want to find the text - see news or policy statements

New Rule on Race/Ethnicity from OMB 

Background:

  • Federal Register :: Initial Proposals For Updating OMB's Race and Ethnicity Statistical Standards  https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2023/01/27/2023-01635/initial-proposals-for-updating-ombs-race-and-ethnicity-statistical-standards  
  • <from prior call chat> Hans mentioned “trickle down” - the reason we had race and ethnicity terms added in HL7 started with V2 is because CDC requested Patient Administration (Chpt. 3) to add (HL7 V2.4 I think) because CDC had to conform to federal requirements.  The same terms used for Census Bureau data ‘trickled over’ to other federal agencies.  If this new request for comment proceeds to a new proposed then final rule, it would probably “trickle down” eventually impacting CDC, ONC, CDC (thus eventually healthcare standards) etc.  See 1997 link and you will recognize correlation to HL7 V2 of race and ethnicity.  Revisions to the Standards for the Classification of Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity | The White House (archives.gov) https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/omb/fedreg_1997standards


New Rule on Race/Ethnicity from CDC

Due date is April 14, 2023 

  • OMB 5 categories – there will be changes there, too
  • Detailed list is being expanded and some codes are being retired – these codes still roll up into the 5 OMB categories
  • Ultimately OMB categories will have to be updated, once those rules are out
  • Because they are proposing a number of concepts be retired – what are we doing with those?
  • Depends on the use of this data what concepts are appropriate
  • Looks like they are using NEW codes for ALL concepts, even the ones they are not replacing?
    • They are building on what was used for the census in 2020
    • This seems to be more of a "make other groups within HL7 aware of this" so they should make these comments like PA, PH, Terminology Infrastructure and cc PAC - Ulrike Merrick to draft and send to the list first
  • For those in clinical interpretations this list is not complete (ethnicity for example around Jewish ancestry) – that is OO comment
  • For cancer do want to know, if folks are multi-racial – but should not have that as special category
    • US core is only 0..1 – that needs to be fixed
  • None of these concepts have definitions
  • In ethnicity – also some terms include male/female versions others don’t – should not be mixed in here either
  • CDC Race / ethnicity National Webinar scheduled for Tuesday 3/21 1-2 PM ET: Please click the link below to join the webinar: https://cdc.zoomgov.com/j/1615394362?pwd=ZlNSNGRnbjUrZ0lmWW1uUzMwL0hlZz09 Passcode: 595705@1a

PHIN VADS Hot Topics at https://phinvads.cdc.gov/vads/SearchVocab.action first mentions commenting and second gives links to documents. 

NEW 4/1/2023

Comments on the CDC Race and Ethnicity Code System (CDCREC) will be accepted until April 1, 2023. Artifacts can be found by viewing the 2022_RaceAndEthnicityFinal_TablesforPub_Final. In addition, the rationale for the prepared code system is located in the Background file. For technical assistance and support concerning the updated CDCREC, please email RECODES@CDC.GOV or PHINVS@CDC.GOV mailboxes.

CDC Race Category and Ethnicity Group

List of concepts present in CDC Race Category value set which is based upon OMB recommendations and list of concepts present in Ethnicity Group value set which is based upon OMB Race & Ethnicity.

FILE: 2022_RaceAndEthnicityFinal_TablesforPub_Final.xlsx - Race and Ethnicity Download File (Full Code System, relationships, and Hierarchy codes)

FILE: 2022 Race and Ethnicity Code System_Background_Final.pdf - Background and Purpose

LINK: Background and Hierarchy

Update from FHIR Lab Workflow call

  • Cross walk on DME/PAO topics with that team.
  • Next week to go through a library/catalog of use cases starting from catalog to order to etc.

LIVD IG

  • Next time for LIVD 4/7 call

JIRA Triage

Discussed:
  • Yes
  • No

V2 Lab JIRAs (link)

Add JIRAs for Next time – related to Lab

  • Test kit identifier for USCDI v4 – comments are open till April 17 (specific questions and anything in level 2) HITACH Lab WG ( https://www.healthit.gov/hitac/events/interoperability-standards-workgroup-29) is providing feedback on lab data elements – one of those is the unique test kit identifier – if we restrict to UDI, then it might be hard, as not all test kits have UDI – use device name and manufacturer at least – looking at how to support:
  • In FHIR: have deviceName and ManufacturerName
  • In LRI we use OBX-17.9 we created the rule to concatenate manufacturer and kit name and you can repeat that, but if you want to support use of PRT, we are missing device name element
  • For Test kit = reagent - use the inventory segments for inside the lab communication
  • IHE LAW supports sending model name and manufacturer but in OBX-18
  • For COVID-19 require to report test kit to PH – this is expected to expand to other tests

  • SHIELD is looking at how do we identify the test to know if we can merge the results in trending in the patient chart – and the method is not harmonized to an international standard

  • In Europe we have TECON = Ralf will share the link – compare QC results of labs even if the kit and instruments were the same still big issue

  • What data does the provider need to know to merge results – this still needs to be determined

  • But we still should fix PRT to be able to send names of devices (equipment / test kits)


  • Motion to include deviceName in PRT as ST 0..1 to align with OBX and FHIR to convey that.  Ralf Herzog, Riki Merrick

Defer to SHIELD Community on the questions on what else to communicate with a result to whom, how to consider re-agents, QC, other data and as a result.

FHIR Lab JIRA (link)

Add JIRAs for Next time – related to Lab


From Chat:

  • Andrea Pitkus 1:09 PM
    • can you point us to the HL7 submissions
  • Andrea Pitkus 1:15 PM
    • DO LISs have any functionality to capture, store, and message UDIs?  Not aware of any esp when COVID was 1st time this became a requirement
    • IVD package insert info/GUDID (UDIs) have typically been outside the LIS
  • Andrea Pitkus 1:18 PM
    • or multiple reagents for a single result value?
  • Andrea Pitkus 1:23 PM
    • I'd add also if intermediary information systems don't have functionality, they won't be messaged through and dropped, etc.
  • Andrea Pitkus 1:24 PM
    • To Ralph's point though, if this expands beyond COVID, multiple reagents/test kits are involved, it could get really complex and not feasible.
    • agree LOINC was never intended to provide instrument/test kit level info
  • Andrea Pitkus 1:36 PM
    • with the PR solution could it support many UDIs if needed

Call Adjourned at 2:01 PM ET

Next Meeting: 3/31/2023

Next Time: 

<Add any overflow items here>