Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Subcommittee Lead: Jessica Bota 

Supporting TSMG Co-Chair: Reuben Daniels 


Tuesday 8:00-9:00PM UTC

Tuesday 4:00-5:00PM USA EDT

Wednesday 6:00-7:00AM AEST

Wednesday 9:00-10:00AM NZDT 

See for meeting details.


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)


Reuben DanielsSaludax


Jess Bota

Apelon, Inc.

Lisa Nelson


Michael Faughn

National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
Davera GabrielJohns Hopkins University Institute for Clinical and Translational Research

Dan Vreeman

HL7 International

Ted Klein

Klein Consulting

Marc Duteau 

HL7 International

Joan Harper

Canada Health Infoway

John Snyder

National Library of Medicine

Rob Hausam


Alex Kontur

Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Abdullah RafiqiICF

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Agenda Topics

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time Allocation


Agenda Item
  • Rollcall & Proxies
    • Quorum not met, proceeded anyway
  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Agenda check
  • Continuing to work with Lawrence Gerstley on Jira automation for submitters
    • Debugged permission issues with GitLab
    • Walkthrough of functionality planned for tomorrow, next steps to be discussed
  • Ticket review calls (held on alternate Tuesdays) have been going well and we believe we have made progress on moving tickets forward (smile)
New Business30 
  • TSC approved THO released 3x a year
    • Need to determine how to align the release with the ballot calendar: HL7 Calendars
      • Vocab co-chairs suggested that we reach out to IG developers to determine when they need a published release of THO in relation to IG final content deadline
      • Some names for feedback mentioned were Rob Hausam, MaryKay, Bob Dieterle, Carmela 
    • Lisa: Also want to align with IG for C-CDA releases
      • Deadlines in July/August for producing package
      • May THO release would provide plenty of time for NLM to absorbed new versions
    • Group feels that having THO published a month before ballot content deadlines would be ideal
      • Need to understand how to work around NLM's schedule
      • Lisa R. Nelson will work with Rob and Sarah to get expectations from NLM
    • Release can take anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks and is very dependent on IG Publisher tooling and Grahame if there are any issues
    • Once we determine the freeze dates, need to 
      • Coordinate with Lynn to get it on the HL7 calendar, including notifications about deadlines
      • Need to determine best avenue for announcing new THO releases 
  • Review Terminology Expectations for IG Developers 
    • Need this reviewed by all TSMG members
    • This is a good candidate for an e-vote, need to raise on main call
    • Agreement that we need to spend a bit of time on this during next week's main call
  • Review UTG Task Force Recommendations to TSC
  • Policy for versioning THO Value Sets: Documented Execution of UTG Versioning
    • Need additional rules for Naming Systems and Concept Maps (at least internal), as well as things like complete code systems
    • Will either create a task force call or dedicate time on this call
    • Need to communicate that to the main calls
    • Jessica Bota to put together a template for Naming Systems and Concept Maps
    • Need to discuss external code systems (looking at version and date elements)  
Subcommittee Work in Progress15JB
  • THO cleanup
    • These tickets have approval from TSMG to proceed in UTG
      • Fix the "All HL7 Code Systems" tab to exclude external content UP-320 - Getting issue details... STATUS
      • Add tabs for deprecated content (based on deprecation task force) UP-321 - Getting issue details... STATUS
      • Add default value of 'true' for all code systems without a <caseSensitive> element (mainly external code systems) unless otherwise specified to resolve warnings in THO UP-322 - Getting issue details... STATUS
        • Changes submitted
    • Need to start discussions (with FMG?) about having ability to render extensions in THO
      • Ask Reuben to follow up
  • Execution of Deprecation representation and policy in UTG/THO
    • Deprecation Policy Framework documents policy and next steps
    • Immediate priorities
      • Perform inventory of deprecated content across THO
      • Create tabs where deprecated content exists
        1. Document deprecation and expectations around deprecation on THO subtabs
        2. Must also document retired, as there is often confusion between deprecation and retirement
      • Work on rendering of extensions and identifier.period in THO
        • Some push back from Lloyd on doing this, would be an IG publisher change
        • This will be brought to Vocab this week 6/23
  • Task force recommendation review and implementation (voting, quorums, WG health, etc.): UTG Task Force Recommendations to TSC 
    • Tracked by HSCR-155 - Getting issue details... STATUS and its subtasks
    • Continuing to fill OSG voter slots
      • FMG: John Moerke
        • Bryn following up on FHIR-I call Monday, 6/27
      • CMG: Lisa Nelson, Alexander Henket, Marc Duteau
      • V2: Michael Faughn, Frank Oemig, Rob Snelick
    • Will continue to follow-up on filling Realm-based and Vocab OSGs
  • Vocab suggests that TSMG require all code systems to have a Steward
    • UTG submitters would need to get WG approval from the Steward to propose changes to the code system
    • Discussed on main TSMG call but no one wanted to make a motion to make this a policy
    • Steward definition
      • The WG responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the code system (not to be confused with Publisher who makes the content available)
        • This implies that the WG has the domain expertise/knowledge related to the code system
      • The primary point of contact for questions or issues with the code system
    • FYI: Vocab added an extension for steward, there is a proposal to update the definition of publisher (which was intended to represent steward) and remove the extension
    • Might be a good idea to get a count of how many code systems in THO do not have a steward value
    • Michael Faughn performed analysis on the number of code systems without a Steward value
      • Out of 797 code systems, 236 do not have a Steward value
      • Code systems broken out by product family:
        • 38 V2, 147 V3, 47 FHIR, 3 unified
      • Current TSMG solution is to make corresponding Management Group responsible (by either having them assign the WG responsible or by assigning them to the MG itself)
        • In the FHIR space, it could be the resource owner
        • V2 - make the V2 management group responsible
        • V3 - will be a multi-management group exercise.  CMG will take a look at the V3 sets first.  FMG will take a look at the list next to determine which is the appropriate responsible party. 
          • Austin is reviewed the list and found 3 code systems appropriate to assign to Structured Docs
          • Should consider having other WGs look over the list (MnM, OO)
      • Vocab WG to run a query for each code system across FHIR core to identify the resources and their responsible WG(s) for each listed code system.
        1. Rob Hausam will check with Lloyd and whether and how we can do this.
        2. Will bring this back for the Vocab call in 2 weeks.
   Adjournment0 JBCall adjourned at 5:00PM EDT. Next call in two weeks at 4:00PM EDT July, 5 2022.

Action items