Dial-in Number

  • One tap mobile
    +13126266799,,3231998494# US (Chicago)
    +13462487799,,3231998494# US (Houston)
  • Dial by your location
    +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
    +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
    +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
    +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
    +1 253 215 8782 US
    +1 301 715 8592 US
    Meeting ID: 323 199 8494
    Find your local number:

Web session


John Hatem (Chair)

Independent Consultant

Phung Matthews


Sarah GauntLantana
Tim McNeilSurescript
Jean DuteauDuteau Design
Scott RobertsonKaiser Permanente
Dave HillMITRE
Bob Dieterle
Peter SergentHL7 New Zealand

Agenda Items and Notes

Meeting Notes from previous meeting

Project Review

Project Proposals

  • Project Proposals in Review 
    • POHR - not sure why Patient Care is not involved in this project
      • Condition is a Patient Care owned FHIR Resource
      • Suggest Patient Care be sponsor or at a minimum be a co-sponsor
      • Pharmacy does see a need to involved unless there is medication related information included in the problem list
        • asked them to reach to Pharmacy during the PSS stage

Project Scope Statements

  • Project Scope Statements
    • CCDA Companion Guide - no involvement
    • CCDA - no involvement
    • FHIR IG - keep us up to date on medication content - would like to be an interested party

Discussion of MedicationKnowledge and possible issues for CDS

  • still changes to be made to MedicationKnowledge
  • Jean working on them

Catalog Updates (John Hatem)

  • Corey attended last Catalog meeting - will need some extensions to meet requirements

Workflow Update (John Hatem) 

  • no update

Healthcare Product Update (John Hatem)

  • discussion of instance vs kind for biologically derived product

NCPDP Updates (NCPDP Members)

NCPDP Task Group working on Patient Consent - for specialty prescribing -  Frank McKinney

Standardized Medication Profile - Standardized Medication Profile Jean Duteau

  • final document
  • Publication Request for review & vote
  • need to determine if the changes identified in the HL7 ballot have been made and what other changes were made from NCPDP ballot
    • has been approved by NCPDP standardization committee - some changes have been made
    • Scott to provide the specific list of all changes that were made - will send red-lined version in advance of next weeks call

MTM - create FHIR IG Scott M. Robertson

  • revisit this discussion after MCC eCare plan is published (2023)

RealTime Pharmacy Benefit Check for Consumers (Tim McNeil/Frank McKinney)

  • no update

Consultant Pharmacist Task Force

  • Project Proposal:  PSS-1813 - Getting issue details... STATUS
  • draft of work in progress
  • soonest it can go to ballot is May 2022 - Scott updated
  • proposal is already in review
  • this is a guidance document only - for CCDA and FHIR Consultation Note Profile
    • no extensions for FHIR
  • need to reply to Ted's comment 
  • Motion to being the sponsor of the future project scope statement - Melva - Jean - 9-0-0 Carried

Global Supply Chain Project (Scott)

  • Scott will follow up on this activity - hasn't been able to find record of minutes/notes
    • hasn't heard anything back from Jose

NHSN Medication Administration (Sarah Gaunt)

  • ballot reconciliation has been completed
  • have already voted on the comments
  • ready to be uploaded to Ballot Desktop
  • Will send to Melva to be uploaded and request withdrawal of negatives
  • Next steps - will make changes and ask for review of the changes
    • then publication request
    • add to agenda for August 30th with publication request

Medication List guidance project

  • targeting August 30th for discussion

PDex Formulary

  • FHIR-32958 and FHIR-32959
    • related to searching
    • will add guidance to how to search
    • approval of guidance
      • non covered drugs are not included
      • payer may have generic form of drug, but not brand name
      • guidance on how to find brand name
        • search for Rxnorm codes, but also search by drug name - specify full exact, partial or equals
        • includes components for full drug name
    • Motion to approve the proposed disposition for FHIR-32958 and FHIR-32959
      • Melva Peters - Dave Hill - 9-0-0 Carried
  • STU 1.1 Update
    • list of the proposed issues
    • Need to look at the ones that are substantive
    • these items are addressing short term solutions for implementers
    • would be good if these can be approved sooner than a ballot
    • needs to be approved by Pharmacy - 2 week review
    • publication request needs Pharmacy and TSC review
    • next steps
      • Dave to provide updated version of the IG
      • determine if list is complete and items are not substantive
  • STU 2 timing - longer term

FHIR (Group)

Trackers - link to pharmacy unresolved Jira trackers 

Any Other Business

  • Wording for Withdrawn US Meds spec - 
    • Proposed wording for IG "This FHIR Implementation Guide has been withdrawn and should not be considered for use.  The Guide underwent an HL7 ballot in September 2020 but the comments from that ballot have not been reconciled and no further work has been done on the guide since that ballot.  For more information about this Implementation Guide, please contact the HL7 Pharmacy Workgroup ("
    • will go to FMG on Wednesday
    • Motion by Jean Duteau - seconded by Peter Sergent 9-0-0 Carried
  • specifying "Port" by name in MedicationRequest - Zulip - - no discussion
    • When ordering a med admin, the order MAY occasionally specify the port by name (e.g. proximal port) -- but this seemed to PC as a potential gap in MedicationRequest since we couldn't locate a Device reference (need Pharmacy @Melva Peters to weigh in). In many cases, the MedRequest doesn't need to specify the port due to policy or clinical knowledge about where to administer (e.g. TPN)
    • For MedAdmin documentation, there is a MedicationAdministration.device,, and/or bodySite (BodyStructure) extension available.
  • Planning for next release of Pharmacy Templates
    • Christof may have new requirements
    • could do an STU update or re-ballot

Next meeting

  • August 16, 2021 - 4pm Eastern
  • August 30, 2021
    • publication request for NHSN