Dial-in Number

  • One tap mobile
    +13126266799,,3231998494# US (Chicago)
    +13462487799,,3231998494# US (Houston)
  • Dial by your location
    +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
    +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
    +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
    +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
    +1 253 215 8782 US
    +1 301 715 8592 US
    Meeting ID: 323 199 8494
    Find your local number:

Web session


Danielle Bancroft (Chair)

Margaret WeikerNCPDP
Corey SpearsMITRE
Frank McKinneyPOCP
Chirstof GessnerHL7 Germany
Phang MathewsPOCP
Shelly SpiroPharmacy HIT Collaborative
Tim McNeilSurescript
John Hatem (Scribe)Independent Consultant

Agenda Items and Notes

Meeting Notes from previous meeting

Project Review

Project Proposals

Project Scope Statements

Discussion of MedicationKnowledge and possible issues for CDS

  •  - Jean 
    • overlap between MedicationKnowledge and MedicinalProductDefinition
    • proposal to remove the "definitional" elements from MedicationKnowledge
    • new MedicationKnowledge
      • not in the current build yet
      • adds .definitional backbone element for those (fewer) elements to retain in MedicationKnowledge
      • simplified .ingredient
      • .amount is still strange.  Needed in Canada.  may become a Canadian extention.
    • Jean will check with BR&R and then move the new MedicationKnowledge into the current build
  •  - jean
    • responses from Francois Macary and Rick
    • issues about if MedicationKnowledge to Medication Definition violates the "back pointer" restriction
    • will move into the main build 
    • Brief update by Danielle Bancroft

Catalog Updates (John Hatem)

  •  - no updates
  •  - not reviewed
  •  - no updates
  •  - no updates - no meeting this week

Workflow Update (John Hatem)

  •  - no updates
  •  - not reviewed
  •  - FHIR-29962 - will evaluate once it is in the build
  •  - no updates - no meeting this week

Healthcare Product Update (John Hatem)

  •  - no updates
  •  - not reviewed
  •  - no updates
  •  - no updates

NCPDP Updates (NCPDP Members)

  • NCPDP Task Group working on Patient Consent - for specialty prescribing -  Frank McKinney
    •  - meeting on Thursdays - looking at the way to convey the consent needed (with attachment)
      • looking at a means to inform prescriber about a patient program being available that would require consent from patient to be involved
    •  - no update
    •  - no update
    •  - no update
    •  - 
  • Standardized Medication Profile - Standardized Medication Profile Jean Duteau
    •  - at NCPDP Standardization Committee for review - looking at word smithing 
      • will bring back to HL7 - to see if they can be incorporated or if held for Version 2
    •  - no update
    •  - Scott to check status of publication
    •  - Melva and Scott to look at the new version and do a publication request
    •  - no update this week
  • MTM - create FHIR IG Scott M. Robertson
    •  - not reviewed
    •  - no update
    •  - on hold - linked to MCC eCare Plan work
    •  - no update
  • RealTime Pharmacy Benefit Check for Consumers (Tim McNeil/Frank McKinney)
    •  - not reviewed
    •  - no update
    •  - no update
    •  - ongoing discussion in NCPDP, will come back with results of the discussion in a future conf call
  • Consultant Pharmacist Task Force - will be creating a guidance document for consultant note on the FHIR IG - Scott/Shelly
    •  - not reviewed
    •  - drafting an update to the Guidance Document on using the CCDA Consult Note for Pharmacist Consults.  Will include CCDA on FHIR.
    •  - needs a project proposal if it is coming in to HL7 - Scott
    •  - no update

Global Supply Chain Project (Scott)

  •  - not reviewed
  •  - no update
  •  - there has not been a call
  •  - no update

Medication List guidance project

  •  - to be discussed during next call July 12, 2021. 
  •  - not reviewed
  •  - John Hatem has been working on this, but is not on today's call
  •  - will get back to this in late August
  •  - expect this to be discussed in late August

PDex Formulary

  •  - Corey
    • working from email from Corey to Jean
    • query for resources related in PDex (e.g., Lists, MedicationKnowledge) uses _profile. 
      • Not a preferred method. 
      • retooled to use List.code.
      • MedicationKnowledge?PlanID:missing=false (assuming the serversupports it)
      • Retrieve all PlanIDs by querying the CoveragePlan (List profile) then query MedicationKnowledgee with the retrieved PlanIDs
      • FHIR-31683 - Can't query Lists that are CoveragePlan Profiles TRIAGED
        • motion to accept (Jean/Corey) 6-0-0 passes
      • FHIR-31684 - Can't query MedicationKnowledge instances that are FormularyDrugs TRIAGED
        • motion to accept (David/Corey) 6-0-0 passes (get Corey's email)
    • RxNorm search concerns
      • current recommendation focuses on SCD
      • difficult to find specific product, dose form, etc
      • need to expand the guidance on RxNorm, but need a pharmacist with RxNorm knowedge
        • Scott will send a query to list, will assist until someone is available
    • this will wrap up the STU update. 
      • Will not be voting next week on the STU update
      • Expect to projected date completion (for WG vote) at next call
  •  emailed message, nothing to discuss today.  Working on issues/wording
  •  - 2 remaining tickets to address
    • will start STU update process
    • review Issues that will be included next week
    • Discussed documentation related to searches - see trackers 32958 and 32959
      • Searches require the use of RxNORM terms.  Document discussed will be shared and added to the minutes.  
      • One suggestion was to update the existing document to add support for RxNORM terms:  GPCK and BPCK
      • Another suggestion was to create a new tracker to ask for an update to the RxNORM guidance in FHIR. Corey will take the initial step to create the tracker. 
    • Another issue was related to "when" the next list of trackers that been resolved can be put into an STU update.  
      • Corey will communicate with the pharmacy co-chairs the list of trackers and ask specific questions about when this update can occur. 
    • Corey all raised an issue about which WG owns this work - currently it is Financial Management and another WG, but not Pharmacy.  
      • Corey will communicate with the pharmacy co-chairs his concerns. 

FHIR (Group)

Trackers - link to pharmacy unresolved Jira trackers 

Any Other Business

Next meeting

  • August 9, 2021 - 4pm Eastern