Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Subcommittee Lead: Jessica Bota 

Supporting TSMG Co-Chair: Reuben Daniels 


Tuesday 8:00-9:00PM UTC

Tuesday 4:00-5:00PM USA EDT

Wednesday 6:00-7:00AM AEST

Wednesday 9:00-10:00AM NZDT 

See for meeting details.


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)


Reuben DanielsSaludax


Jess Bota

Apelon, Inc.

Lisa Nelson


Michael Faughn

National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
Davera GabrielJohns Hopkins University Institute for Clinical and Translational Research

Dan Vreeman

HL7 International

Ted Klein

Klein Consulting

Marc Duteau 

HL7 International

Joan Harper

Canada Health Infoway

John Snyder

National Library of Medicine

Rob Hausam


Alex Kontur

Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Abdullah RafiqiICF
Hope GrayUAB - Birmingham, HL7 Intern
OPMartha JonesGeorge Mason, HL7 Intern

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Agenda Topics

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time Allocation


Agenda Item
  • Rollcall & Proxies
  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Agenda check
  • Progress continues to be made on integrating automated IG publisher validation into UTG process
New Business30 JB/RD
  • Handling THO anchored content in the FHIR spec FHIR-37440 - Getting issue details... STATUS  
    • Michael has completed an initial review 
      • Assumption is that resources will share <id> (we know this isn't a rule but we need something to link the resources)
      • Will go back and compare NPM packages for THO CI build and FHIR CI build
      • Some cleanup to occur on the list of discrepancies
      • Once we have this list we will be better positioned to compare the resources
        • We know this will likely be iterative to determine which changes matter (we know url and version will be changing)
        • Need reliable patterns for making block decisions/updates
      • Additional findings from Michael
        • MF is refining his scripts to be a little more robust 
        • FMM levels changed across versions of FHIR
      • Additional findings from Jess
        • There are 42 code systems anchored in THO that are only in the FHIR core specification
      • Need to determine how resources in the FHIR specification inherit ownership (i.e., says Vocab WG at top of resource)
      • Discuss how to address changes across the following elements:
        • meta.lastUpdated (all)
        • date (all)
        • experimental (19)
        • title (23)
        • valueSet (70)
        • meta.profile (62)
        • description (22)
        • publisher (18)
        • name (8)
        • contact (18)
        • status (17)
        • oid (25) - this is the most concerning and not something the work groups can resolve. TSMG/FMG will likely need to determine how to resolve these OIDs
        • property (1)
        • hierarchyMeaning (1)
        • extensions
          • telecom
          • standards status
          • workgroup
          • fmm
      • Next steps, keeping timing in mind
        • Provide update to FMG and TSMG so we can get ideas on how and when they'd like to get this resolved
        • Analysis shows fair bit of effort across many work groups
        • Potentially deal with this as part of ballot reconciliation OR can give some ideas in terms of resourcing to get it done earlier
        • Perhaps can get ourselves on the agenda on second half of FMG call, Ann can get it onto agenda
          • Reuben and Jess will plan to join but will miss first half of Vocab co-chair call
  • Discuss adding extensions and profiles to THO
    • TSMG approved surfacing profiles/extensions in THO that are part of UTG/THO infrastructure
      • For example, there is an extension for adding title to namingSystem resources and many more are expected to support external code system metadata records (there is a profile for this)
      • Vocab is starting to see Vocab tickets around profiles and extensions being added to THO
      • Another issue is that profiles are based on R5 and THO is based on R4
      • Probably cannot support profiles until we have a process to support them, likely after R5
      • THO also does not store multiple versions of the same artifact 
      • Good topic for WGM 
    • What is driver to move profiles from FHIR core to THO? We do not know
Subcommittee Work in Progress15JB/RD
  • THO cleanup
    • These tickets have approval from TSMG to proceed in UTG
      • Fix the "All HL7 Code Systems" tab to exclude external content UP-320 - Getting issue details... STATUS
      • Add tabs for deprecated content (based on deprecation task force) UP-321 - Getting issue details... STATUS
      • Add subtabs to categorize identifier systems
      • Add profiles and extensions to THO
      • List resources by title (currently name)
  • Execution of Deprecation representation and policy in UTG/THO
    • Deprecation Policy Framework documents policy and next steps
    • Immediate priorities
      • Perform inventory of deprecated content across THO
      • Create tabs where deprecated content exists
        1. Document deprecation and expectations around deprecation on THO subtabs
        2. Must also document retired, as there is often confusion between deprecation and retirement
      • Requested IG Publisher change to render identifier.period for CodeSystem and ValueSet:
  • Task force recommendation review and implementation (voting, quorums, WG health, etc.): UTG Task Force Recommendations to TSC 
    • Tracked by HSCR-155 - Getting issue details... STATUS and its subtasks
    • Continuing to fill OSG voter slots
      • FMG: John Moerke, Bryn Rhodes, suggest adding Rob Hausam
      • CMG: Lisa Nelson, Alexander Henket, Marc Duteau
      • V2: Michael Faughn, Frank Oemig, Rob Snelick
    • Will continue to follow-up on filling Realm-based and Vocab OSGs
  • Vocab suggests that TSMG require all code systems to have a Steward
      • Vocab WG to run a query for each code system across FHIR core to identify the resources and their responsible WG(s) for each listed code system.
      • Rob Hausam reached out to Grahame to determine best way to do this
      • Might be able to use binding to determine steward by mining it out from resource that is referencing it
   Adjournment0 JBCall adjourned at 4:55PM EDT. Next call in two weeks at 4:00PM EDT August 30, 2022.

Action items