The PSS Approval Process begins after a PSS page has been created in Confluence and a Project Scope Statement Issue has been created in JIRA. Those steps are outlined here: Creating a PSS
Once this process begins, a notification scheme is enabled that emails Approval Groups (sponsoring workgroups, co-sponsoring workgroups, management groups, steering divisions, TSC) at appropriate times through the approval process.
It is important to note that upon receiving a notification that your group's approval is requested, that you understand how the Project Scope Statement in JIRA is setup.
The PSS Approval process is composed from two workflows: that of the PSS itself and that of the reviewing groups. The relationship between these two workflows are parent to sub-task respectively.
All of the group approvals, minus the final Technical Steering Committee (TSC) review/approval, happen as sub-tasks of the Parent Issue.
The approval process is automated in that, after you cast your group's approval, no further action is required to further the process.
- Follow link in email to parent issue in JIRA. NOTE: If you are a part of multiple work groups, make sure to note what group is being requested to review.
- Review the PSS Issueissue
- Review the PSS on Confluence using link.
- Navigate to the "Sub-Tasks" section of the PSS issue.
- Select your Group
- While at the Sub-Task for your group's approval you may make comments, add attachments, and approve or reject.
- Approve: This choice will be reflected in the Parent Issue and the approval process will carry on.
- Reject: This choice will be reflected in the Parent Issue and the approval process will be paused. A reason for rejection will be required and a notification will be sent to the Sponsoring WorkGroup.
- If you are a Sponsoring WorkGroup, you will be emailed a name of the rejecting group and a link to the Issue.
- Once the noted changes for rejections have been corrected, you will transition the sub-task back to "Review" using the transition button on the applicable sub-task.
- The original group which rejected will be notified and provided a link.
- They will navigate back and review. If sufficient changes have been made, they will approve this sub-task and the approval process will carry on.
- This process can happen multiple times until it is finally approved.
- If you are a Co-Sponsoring group you will have an Opt-Out option as well. Should your group feel it doesn't need to take part in the approval, select this option. No further action required; approval process will carry on.
- Once Sponsoring WorkGroups, Co-Sponsoring WorkGroups, Us Realm, Management Groups, and Steering Divisions have approved the Parent issue will be transitioned to TSC Review.
- At TSC Review, the TSC will be notified via email just like the other groups, however they will be interacting with the parent issue rather than sub-task type.
- Options for the TSC Review include:
- Approve: PSS is considered Approved. Email is sent to Sponsoring WorkGroup
- Send to Steering Division: Parent issue is transitioned back to the Steering Division Review state and applicable steering Division is notified. Reason required by TSC
- Reject: PSS is considered Not Valid and will not become a project. (Rare)