The official list of vocabulary facilitators can be found on the HL7 website here.
Vocabulary Facilitator Responsibilities
- A facilitator can be nominated by either the Vocab TC or the domain TC, but must be approved by the co-chairs of both committees.
Training (as time permits)
- Attend all of the vocabulary tutorials offered by HL7. Examples of applicable tutorials include:
- Vocabulary Facilitator Roles and Responsibilities - here
- Understanding and Using Terminology in HL7 FHIR
- Incorporating SNOMED CT Concepts in HL7 Standards
(HL7 may waive the fee for the tutorials for facilitators.)
- Practical sessions during vocabulary facilitator’s meeting
- How to add, delete and modify new value sets for RIM harmonization
- How to make submissions for:
- HL7 maintained vocabularies
- External vocabularies
- Imported vocabularies
- How to make submissions for:
- How to register terminologies for HL7 use
- Good vocabulary practices
- How to use Class code and “small code”
- Guidance for technical committees on value set adoption
- How to view and walk terminology in Rosetree and other tools and publications
- How to constrain domains and value sets in R-MIM
- Training on vocabulary approval process, especially for realm and context specific value sets
- How the vocabulary facilitator role interacts with MnM facilitator role
- Training on RIM harmonization process and the role of vocabulary
- Attend all scheduled vocabulary facilitator’s meetings. These sessions are held during the regular Working Group meetings and are usually scheduled for one half day.
- Attend the meetings of their designated Domain Technical Committee (PAFM, OO, Patient Care, Financial Management, etc.) when vocabulary issues are to be discussed.
- Act as a expert resource to the technical committees on vocabulary and terminology principles and issues.
- Assist the committee with the selection of value sets for use in coded attributes referenced in R-MIMs, CMETs, HMDs, and Message Types.
- Guidance about how value sets are selected following the Good Vocabulary Practices Document and the Guidance to TC document (future), and how to build a new value sets.
- Contact vocabulary system experts as needed for support in a specific subject or domain.
- Make technical committee aware of official vocabulary policies and procedures.
- Report back to the Vocabulary TC any issues raised in discussions in the domain TC.
- Educate domain TC’s about how to use their vocabulary facilitator.
- Prepare and submit value set additions to the HL7 vocabulary tables. The tools are available for making these submissions.
- Attend the RIM harmonization meeting to explain and defend vocabulary submissions. (We should make it possible to attend via teleconference.)
- Coordinate value set creation with the Modeling and Methodology facilitator to insure that the vocabulary and the model (R-MIMs, CMETs, HMDs, and Message Types) form a consistent whole.
- For proposed use of external code systems, determine the licensing restrictions and copyright.
- Be aware of how vocabulary choices will affect localization of the standard within specific realms