Discussion on use, cleanup, and guidance for the NullFlavor code system (Lisa Nelson) http://build.fhir.org/ig/HL7/UTG/CodeSystem-v3-NullFlavor.html
- LN displays and speaks to Review NullFlavor CodeSystem powerpoint presentation.
- Lloyd McKenzie queries what the objective is.
- The ask is quality improvement.
- Align the definitions with corresponding codes from FHIR or add missing codes.
- Jean Duteau: The code system is fixed.
- Lloyd McKenzie: We can add new codes in a different code system.
- Discussion why the NullFlavor code system cannot be updated (UPDATE from recording)
- Carmela Couderc queried why the normative resources cannot be updated.
- Lloyd responds to say this code system is part of V3 and we (HL7) will never publish a new version of V3.
- AbdulMalik Shakir notes that while the NullFlavor code system is not used in FHIR base resources, it can (and is) used in
- Lloyd notes that use of the NullFlavor in FHIR IGs is not recommended.
- Lisa continues with powerpoint slide deck to discuss specific issues with concepts in the NullFlavor code system.
- Lloyd: We do not want to go back to ISO with data types.
- Discussion around adding a code needed by Canada (UPDATE from recording)
- Lloyd: CDA can do what it likes because no-one else is using the RIM.