This is the place to find information on the maintenance of vocabulary at HL7 including the Unified Terminology Governance (UTG) process and operations:
- sign up to watch proposals for changes in vocabulary;
- comment on proposed changes; and
- vote on proposed changed
Maintenance of HL7 Terminology
This section provides a high-level overview of the workflow process for submitting a proposal and participating in consensus review.
- SUBMISSION: submit a proposal for changes that contain all technical details to the vocabulary
- VALIDATION: to ensure the proposal includes required information
- CONSENSUS REVIEW: voted on by the community
- PUBLISH: approved changes by a majority vote are implemented to the the current build of the terminology
The UTG process decreases the burden on HL7 resources by having the proposal submitter create and submit the content that they needed added, modified, or deleted in their own development branch (via BitBucket directly through Jira). Proposals are submitted using a Jira-based workflow that is open to the community (both submitting and voting). Automated checks and validations ensure that the content meets proposal requirements. The proposal goes through a consensus workflow to come to a resolution. If approved, the use of the Bitbucket branching allows simplified integration into the master repository.
The sections below provide a high-level overview of the Change Proposal Submission and Consensus Review Process.