Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair: Reuben Daniels 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Wednesday, February 1st, 8:30-10:00PM UTC

Wednesday, February 1st,  3:30-5:00 PM USA ET

Thursday, February 2nd, 7:30-9:00AM (next day) AEST

Thursday, February 2nd, 9:30-11:00AM NZDT   


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)
MD Partners, Inc.
MPApelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
HL7 New Zealand
Precipius b.v.
MP - needed to leave at 4pUS Department of Veterans Affairs
Health Intersections
Canada Health Infoway
National Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
John SnyderNational Library of Medicine (US)
Ted KleinTK Consulting
Lloyd MackenzieAccenture
Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Doug DeShazoLexisNexis
MaryKay McDanielFM/Markam
Corey SpearsMITRE
John SpinosaLantana
Harold SolbrigMayo
Joe AmlungReginstrief
Martha JonesHL7 Intern
Riki MerrickVernetzt, LLC
Gaurav Vaidya
Emily PfaffUNC
Eric PrudhommeauxJaneiro Digital
David BoothYosemite Project
Jim BalhoffUNC
Christian ReichOHDSI
Marc DuteauHL7
Juliet RubiniICF
OPJoe QuinnSmile Digital Health

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded. Note items in RED below are deferred due to lack of time

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item


  • Announcements
  • Upcoming Meeting Schedule (Quorum is 6 attendees + 1 co-chair)
    • TSMG calls are weekly now 3:30p (EASTERN)
    • Potential for alternating times aiming to accommodate more members.  With an additional time - perhaps the membership can attend at least one of the two regular meeting times. 
      • RD will reach out to the TSMG members that could not attend re:  potential additional  / alternating meeting times
  • New TSMG members should self-assign to subcommittees
    • Ioana will join the Education / Outreach subcommittee
    • Will touch base with John 
  • UTG/THO subcommittee call (90 mins alternating w Vocab WG main call) 
    • Need someone to run the call for a couple months 
    • MF: can Marc take this role?
      • same quorum rules would apply, if voting
      • JB will reach out to Marc 
  • THO versioning call
    • Need to reschedule (usually met during this time slot)
    • A call for a new slot will will be circulated
  • Action Items from last week
    • ALL TSMG members need to review the comments. on Terminology Expectations for IG Developers Policy and be prepared to discuss today
TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates

PSS Approval

PSS-2136 - Getting issue details... STATUS  Influenza Hospitalization Surveillance Network (FluSurv-NET) on FHIR


 HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)As neededJB/RM/CC
  HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10RD/JB
  • Technical correction for THO due to corrupt R3 package
    • Grahame confirmed we do not need the technical correction urgently (as initially suspected) and it can wait until next freeze/release scheduled for 2/12
    • Need publication request for next release (and to determine major/minor)
  • Determine if V2 can have some vocabulary outside of THO
    • There are examples/user defined tables that have been added to THO
    • Proposed Motion (pending quorum): The TSMG will propose a means of identifying and tagging HL7 Value Sets and Code Systems in THO whose sole intended purpose is to be used as examples.
  • Recommendation from Vocab to TSMG on handling of THO OIDs
  • Review fix for 'All HL7 Code Systems' tab
    • UP-320 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    • Options are to break down by product family or maintain two separate manifests (more work and more prone to error), more details in ticket comment
    • Discussion included adding the following comment to the ticket: 
      • Discussion in TSMG meeting 13Dec22 included a suggestion to define a THO category extension that could be used to drive categorization of these pages within THO, reducing the need to manually maintain manifest lists for each product family, etc.  This could be enabled through a custom xslt template.  This would be a good solution conferring a reduction of work for THO maintenance. 
    • Decision on this topic requires a vote.  Quorum not established but discussion was fruitful
  • UTG/THO Subcommittee recommendation about adding release tracking information to THO

Parking lot and work in progress

  • Workflow for THO releases (moving content approved in ballot to THO AND how to handle missed THO deadline)
    • Requires discussion - priority item to resolve
    • This is a key component of the IG Developer tutorial
    • This item is blocked without the expectations for IG developers policy being developed.
    • 8Nov22 TSMG meeting: deferred
  • Versioning policy for UTG/THO
    • Finished proposal for HL7 Code System elements
    • There are a few higher level considerations before moving over to Value Sets
    • Progressing to finish HL7 Value Sets and moving to External Identifier System Metadata Records
HL7 Terminology Authority (HTA)

    • No Quorum 1Feb23.  Next meeting 15Feb23
Outreach & Education

  • Alignment of Value Sets across product families - with Lisa Nelson
  • Develop standard curriculum requirements for 3 workshops:
    • Intro to FHIR Terminology
    • Advanced FHIR terminology
    • Terminology for IG Developers
  • Write-ups for dissemination (to be developed)
    • Accessing CDCREC Value Set
    • Using ICD-11 on FHIR
    • Terminology Expectations for IG Developers (component of workshop above)
    • Workflow for change proposal will be changing - another topic
  • OMOP + FHIR Collaboration / Vulcan FHIR to OMOP project
      • Ongoing
Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM
  • RM: The TSC will be asking for presentation(s) in the next quarterly call.  The TSMG may be up next for this presentation. Need to determine the outcome of this expectation.  Should be the Terminology Expectation for IG developers policy
Parking Lot 

  • Terminology Server (Implementation Requirement)
    • Follow-up from WGM - next steps re: terminology server (service) requirements (1-page description)
  • UTG / THO Subcommittee work in progress
    • Vocab WG follow-up: Policy Requiring Identification of Stewards for HL7 (Internal) Code Systems

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document