Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Subcommittee Lead: Jessica Bota 

Supporting TSMG Co-Chair: Reuben Daniels 


Wednesday 8:00-9:00PM UTC

Wednesday 4:00-5:00PM USA EDT

Thursday 7:00-8:00AM AEST

Thursday 10:00-11:00AM NZDT 

See for meeting details.


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)


Reuben DanielsSaludax


Jess Bota

Apelon, Inc.

Lisa Nelson


Michael Faughn

National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
Davera GabrielJohns Hopkins University Institute for Clinical and Translational Research
MPRob McClure 

Dan Vreeman

HL7 International

Ted Klein

Klein Consulting

Marc Duteau 

HL7 International

Joan Harper

Canada Health Infoway

John Snyder

National Library of Medicine

Rob Hausam


Alex Kontur

Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Abdullah RafiqiICF
Hope GrayUAB - Birmingham, HL7 Intern
Martha JonesGeorge Mason, HL7 Intern
OPSerafina VersaggiFEI/BookZurman
OPGabriela GonzalezEMI Advisors
OPHimali SaitwalEMI Advisors

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Agenda Topics

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item

Welcome and scene setting5JB

  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Welcome to TSMG members and observers
  • Rollcall
  • Task Force objectives:
    • To develop a THO Artefact Versioning Policy which addresses the versioning of all THO artifacts (e.g. THO Releases, HL7 Code Systems, External Code System Metadata Records, etc.)
    • Determine additional policies to enable better version management of THO Artifacts e.g. excluding particular FHIR data elements
    • Recommend the above policies to the TSMG for deliberation and ratification
  • This is the first call back after repurposing this call in December to discuss duplicate code systems across FHIR core and THO
  • Moved topic around 211LA to this call (originally planned for HTA call)
  • Assume we do not have any update on the legal interactions surrounding use of 211LA
  • There is a need for an identifier (url) and a need to include concepts in the IG that are in this IP protected code system
  • Metadata record provides info but leaves it up to the implementer to work with the owner to get access to the content
  • Used in Human Services and Gravity IGs
  • HTA Confluence page has been updated here: 211 Human Services Indexing System
    • Widely used in human services
  • Will likely need to pull it out of the IG and add it to THO
    • Must be published in THO prior to IG publication
    • THO publication schedule available here: HL7 Calendars
      • Three times a year, publishing one month prior to ballot content deadline
    • Could stay in ballot until next cycle, but others want to use this content so it ideally should be added to THO sooner
  • At minimum, want to publish a fragment in THO
    • Fragment will likely be the top-level nodes but doesn't include more detailed concepts that would define specific value sets
    • Can describe the lower level codes in a value set but cannot include them without permission
  • Lisa points out bigger problem of being able to get agreements with many of these content owners
    • Not sure whose domain it is to address this
  • Rob and Lisa can talk about the need to provide this (and similar content) to have meaningful IGs for both creators and implementers and how the roadblocks prevent that
    • Encourage others to discuss this issue with the board to try and work towards path to resolution
  • Another common issue is that someone needs to be on the hook for maintaining convenience copies 
  • Need process that is built to last to support this kind of content and its use across HL7
  • Also would be great for owners to host their own content through APIs (encouraged to use FHIR)
External Code System Metadata Records


Action items