Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair:   Caroline Macumber 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Tuesday, January 10th, 8:30-10:00PM UTC

Tuesday, January 10th,  3:30-5:00 PM USA ET

Wednesday, January 11th, 7:30-9:00AM (next day) AEST

Wednesday, January 11th, 9:30-11:00AM NZDT   


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)
MD Partners, Inc.
MP - joined at 4:05pAlphora
MPApelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MPHL7 New Zealand
MAPrecipius b.v.
US Department of Veterans Affairs
Health Intersections
Canada Health Infoway
National Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
John SnyderNational Library of Medicine (US)
Ted KleinTK Consulting
Lloyd MackenzieAccenture
Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Doug DeShazoLexisNexis
MaryKay McDanielFM/Markam
Corey SpearsMITRE
John SpinosaLantana
Harold SolbrigMayo
Joe AmlungReginstrief
Martha JonesHL7 Intern
Riki MerrickVernetzt, LLC
Gaurav Vaidya
Emily PfaffUNC
Eric PrudhommeauxJaneiro Digital
David BoothYosemite Project
Jim BalhoffUNC
Christian ReichOHDSI
Marc DuteauHL7
Juliet RubiniICF

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded. Note items in RED below are deferred due to lack of time

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item


  • Announcements
  • Upcoming Meeting Schedule (Quorum is 6 attendees + 1 co-chair)
    • 1/17 - WGM
      • Topics for joint with Vocab at WGM
        • Terminologies expectations for developers
        • Status update: THO as a source for V2 - MF and / or Frank
        • Summarize OID & duplicate issues in THO
      • Thursday Q2 session - no urgent business, will cancel
  • Action Items from last week
    • ALL TSMG members need to review the comments. on Terminology Expectations for IG Developers Policy and be prepared to discuss today
    • Carol to notify TSC of our 
      • Intent to resolve TEID feedback this week
      • Present high-level information around policy at co-chair dinner 
      • TSMG Membership to include Rob M in 2023 and he will remain TSC rep
  • TSMG calls post WGM
    • Davera has set up the Doodle Poll - please fill out prior to the Thursday next week
  • TSMG presentation at co-chair dinner (Rob M)
    • TEID intro
    • UTG Update
    • OID Debacle 
PSS Needing External Review

PSS-2145 - Getting issue details... STATUS

TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates

 HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)As neededJB/RM/CC
  HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10RD/JB
  • Technical correction for THO due to corrupt R3 package
    • Grahame confirmed we do not need the technical correction urgently (as initially suspected) and it can wait until next freeze/release scheduled for 2/12
  • Duplicate URLs in THO
    • Duplicate URLs in THO for CVX: vs.
    • We retired the entry from V2, but according to Grahame this will still cause issues with the IG infrastructure getting things wrong
    • He suggests we remove from THO
    • RM: states this is clearly an error and these two pages should only be one page.  The content in the retired page should be represented in the active page, and the retired page removed.
    • This reminds us that by using the special url config in the publisher the url that is indicated as special is not checked against other things in the ID and therefore in the checking in the IGs were not checking the appropriate information.
    • Suggestion to confer with HTA to see what information from the retired page needs to be ported to the active page
      • Work complete via UP-374 - Getting issue details... STATUS and ready for review/vote
  • Recommendation from Vocab to TSMG on handling of THO OIDs
  • Review fix for 'All HL7 Code Systems' tab
    • UP-320 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    • Options are to break down by product family or maintain two separate manifests (more work and more prone to error), more details in ticket comment
    • Discussion included adding the following comment to the ticket: 
      • Discussion in TSMG meeting 13Dec22 included a suggestion to define a THO category extension that could be used to drive categorization of these pages within THO, reducing the need to manually maintain manifest lists for each product family, etc.  This could be enabled through a custom xslt template.  This would be a good solution conferring a reduction of work for THO maintenance. 
    • Decision on this topic requires a vote.  Quorum not established but discussion was fruitful
  • UTG/THO Subcommittee recommendation about adding release tracking information to THO

Parking lot and work in progress

  • Workflow for THO releases (moving content approved in ballot to THO AND how to handle missed THO deadline)
    • Requires discussion - priority item to resolve
    • This is a key component of the IG Developer tutorial
    • This item is blocked without the expectations for IG developers policy being developed.
    • 8Nov22 TSMG meeting: deferred
  • Versioning policy for UTG/THO
    • Finished proposal for HL7 Code System elements
    • There are a few higher level considerations before moving over to Value Sets
    • Progressing to finish HL7 Value Sets and moving to External Identifier System Metadata Records
HL7 Terminology Authority (HTA)

    • Next meeting on Wed 11 January 3-4pm EASTERN US.  
      • 211LA main topic
Outreach & Education

  • Vulcan FHIR to OMOP project
    • Track in the January Connectathon
      • validation architecture based on CAMP FHIR
    • Vulcan 101 presentation section (14Dec22)
    • Environmental scan report - started
  • Alignment of Value Sets across product families - with Lisa Nelson
  • Develop standard curriculum requirements for 3 workshops:
    • Intro to FHIR Terminology
    • Advanced FHIR terminology
    • Terminology for IG Developers
  • Write-ups for dissemination (to be developed)
    • Accessing CDCREC Value Set
    • Using ICD-11 on FHIR
    • Terminology Expectations for IG Developers (component of workshop above)
Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM

TSC Membership - (deferred: RM not available today)

    • RM has requested to remain on TSMG. As nictiz was looking for another representative (instead of Chantal), RM may be able to fill that seat without TSMG needing to add a seat.
Parking Lot 

  • Terminology Server (Implementation Requirement)
    • Follow-up from WGM - next steps re: terminology server (service) requirements (1-page description)
  • UTG / THO Subcommittee work in progress
    • Vocab WG follow-up: Policy Requiring Identification of Stewards for HL7 (Internal) Code Systems

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document