Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair:    Reuben Daniels 

Scribe:  Caroline Macumber 


Tuesday, November 8, 8:30-10:00PM UTC

Tuesday, November 8,  3:30-5:00 PM USA ET

Wednesday, November 9, 7:30-9:00AM (next day) AEST

Wednesday, November 9, 9:30-11:00AM NZDT   


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)x-ReubenClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)
MD Partners, Inc.

Apelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
HL7 New Zealand
MX - proxy to ReubenPrecipius b.v.
HL7 Germany
Health Intersections
Canada Health Infoway
OPNational Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
John SnyderNational Library of Medicine (US)
Ted KleinTK Consulting
Lloyd MackenzieAccenture
Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Doug DeShazoLexisNexis
MaryKay McDanielFM/Markam
Corey SpearsMITRE
John SpinosaLantana
Harold SolbrigMayo
Joe AmlungReginstrief
Martha JonesHL7 Intern
Riki MerrickVernetzt, LLC
Gaurav Vaidya
Emily PfaffUNC
Eric PrudhommeauxJaneiro Digital
David BoothYosemite Project
Jim BalhoffUNC
Christian ReichOHDSI
Harold Solbrig
OPMarc Duteau

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item


  • Announcements
  • New time for this meeting
    • New day/time for Weekly TSMG Meeting: 3.30-5pm Eastern USA on Tuesdays commencing Tuesday, 8 November 2022.
      • THO/UTG Subcommittee Calls will move to Thursdays at 3.30-5pm Eastern on alternative Thursdays (alternating with the Vocabulary WG Main Call).
PSS Needing External Review

PSS-2131 - Getting issue details... STATUS

  • Reply in the ticket indicates a list of terminologies planned to be used.  Each have HTA records.  A commonly indicating should terminologies that are not registered with the HTA be needed, then it will be required to re-engage with the TSMG.  Ticket approved  6-0-0
TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates

 HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)As neededJB/RM/CC
  • Terminology expectations for IG developers
    • Terminology Expectations for IG Developers (Simplified)
    • JB and RM have attempted to simply the policy. Group reviewed the policy discussion summarized below
      • Policy applies to any HL7 Implementation Guide
      • Input from FMG and TSC has been included, CMG has not commented. Policy should be applicable across product lines.
        • For this to work, everything in THO will need to have an OID to support CDA
      • Open Action Items:
        • Validate that the first few steps are the same as those in Validating and Requesting Identifiers for External Code Systems and Identifier Systems
        • Review Reuben Daniels drafted list of the consolidated Tooling requirements for IG Publisher and duplicate URI handing that call
        • Update from CMG
          • Was added to their agenda last Wednesday
        • If recommendation is that this should be a JIRA-based process then there would need to be a ticket-type of TSMG added.  Review of these tickets would then be a standing agenda item on the TSMG main calls (this one)
    • 20221031 Next steps:
      • Look into "library IG" term
      • CM and RM to look into inclusion of terminology artifacts being hosted in terminology servers like VSAC
    • 8Nov22 TSMG:  no further comments.  Deferred 
  HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10RD/JB
  • Next release of THO (5.0.0) occurred.
    • Next release is scheduled in Feb 26, freeze on Feb 12
  • Workflow for THO releases (moving content approved in ballot to THO AND how to handle missed THO deadline)
    • Requires discussion - priority item to resolve
    • This is a key component of the IG Developer tutorial
    • This item is blocked without the expectations for IG developers policy being developed.
    • 8Nov22 TSMG meeting: deferred
  • Versioning policy for UTG/THO
    • Finished proposal for HL7 Code System elements
    • There are a few higher level considerations before moving over to Value Sets
    • Progressing to finish HL7 Value Sets and moving to External Identifier System Metadata Records
  • Many CodeSystems use urls when they should be FHIR-37440 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    • UTG/THO subcommittee working through differences across elements for duplicates to determine what is consequential 
    • Need a follow-up with Grahame Grieve. Will invite him to this week's THO/UTG Subcommittee call.
HL7 Terminology Authority (HTA)

    • Next meeting on Thursday 10 November 2022
Outreach & Education

LN: Race & Ethnicity utilization (CDCREC code system) across standards would benefit from some additional training, messaging and socialization of information about the Race & Ethnicity.  Is this the remit of the TSMG.  LN will work with DG to develop education material and seek communication channels for this information 
Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM

TSC Membership - (deferred: RM not available today)

  • RM will take to the TSC: 4 year terms, then one year off and establishing 2 alternate members as outlined above 
  •   RM: update re: proposal from TSMG?
    • in TSC meeting: other management groups had not yet discussed this topic.  This will be reviewed in today's (this week's) TSS meeting. Update next week
    • Bryn will bring back this update if RM is not available
Parking Lot 

  • Terminology Server (Implementation Requirement)
    • Follow-up from WGM - next steps re: terminology server (service) requirements (1-page description)
  • UTG / THO Subcommittee work in progress
    • Vocab WG follow-up: Policy Requiring Identification of Stewards for HL7 (Internal) Code Systems

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document