Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair:  Davera Gabriel 

Scribe: Reuben Daniels 


Monday, October 24, 1:00-2:30AM UTC

Monday, October 24,  9:00-10:30AM USA ET

Monday, October 24, 11:00-12:30AM (next day) AEST

Tuesday, October 25, 2:00-3:30AM NZDT   


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)X — Reuben Clinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)
MD Partners, Inc.


MPApelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MX - ReubenHL7 New Zealand
MPPrecipius b.v.
HL7 Germany
Health Intersections
Canada Health Infoway
OPNational Library of Medicine
OPHausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
John SnyderNational Library of Medicine (US)
Ted KleinTK Consulting
Lloyd MackenzieAccenture
Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Doug DeShazoLexisNexis
MaryKay McDanielFM/Markam
Corey SpearsMITRE
John SpinosaLantana
Harold SolbrigMayo
Joe AmlungReginstrief
Martha JonesHL7 Intern
Riki MerrickVernetzt, LLC
Gaurav Vaidya
Emily PfaffUNC
Eric PrudhommeauxJaneiro Digital
David BoothYosemite Project
Jim BalhoffUNC
Christian ReichOHDSI
Harold Solbrig

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item


  • Announcements
  • New time for this meeting
    • New day/time for Weekly TSMG Meeting: 3.30-5pm Eastern USA on Tuesdays commencing Tuesday, 8 November 2022.
      • THO/UTG Subcommittee Calls will move to Thursdays at 3.30-5pm Eastern on alternative Thursdays (alternating with the Vocabulary WG Main Call).
  • TSMG appointments for 2023
    • Slate developed
      • Expiring members and willingness to stand again (y/n)
        • Davera - yes
        • Sylvia - no
        • Rob M - no
        • Peter - no
        • Michael - yes
        • Roel - yes
      • Proposed slate
        • Ioana Singureanu - Implementation and conformance experience, along with product line expertise
        • John Carter - International (NZ Affiliate) Representation, Terminology Services and Implementation
        • Chantal Schiltmeijer  - International (Netherlands Affiliate) Representation, Implementation and Terminology expertise from NICTIZ.
PSS Needing External Review

PSS-2131 - Getting issue details... STATUS

  • Added a comment, did not vote.
TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates

 HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)As neededJB/RM/CC
  • Terminology expectations for IG developers
    • Terminology Expectations for IG Developers (Simplified)
    • JB and RM have attempted to simply the policy. Group reviewed the policy discussion summarized below
      • Policy applies to any HL7 Implementation Guide
      • Input from FMG and TSC has been included, CMG has not commented. Policy should be applicable across product lines.
        • For this to work, everything in THO will need to have an OID to support CDA
      • Open Action Items:
        • Validate that the first few steps are the same as those in Validating and Requesting Identifiers for External Code Systems and Identifier Systems
        • Review Reuben Daniels drafted list of the consolidated Tooling requirements for IG Publisher and duplicate URI handing that call
        • Update from CMG
          • Was added to their agenda last Wednesday
        • If recommendation is that this should be a JIRA-based process then there would need to be a ticket-type of TSMG added.  Review of these tickets would then be a standing agenda item on the TSMG main calls (this one)
    • 20221031 Next steps:
      • Look into "library IG" term
      • CM and RM to look into inclusion of terminology artifacts being hosted in terminology servers like VSAC.
  HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10RD/JB
  • Next release of THO expected this coming weekend.
  • Workflow for THO releases (moving content approved in ballot to THO AND how to handle missed THO deadline)
    • Requires discussion - priority item to resolve
    • This is a key component of the IG Developer tutorial
    • This item is blocked without the expectations for IG developers policy being developed.
  • Versioning policy for UTG/THO
    • Finished proposal for HL7 Code System elements
    • There are a few higher level considerations before moving over to Value Sets
    • Progressing to finish HL7 Value Sets and moving to External Identifier System Metadata Records
  • Many CodeSystems use urls when they should be FHIR-37440 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    • UTG/THO subcommittee working through differences across elements for duplicates to determine what is consequential 
    • Need a follow-up with Grahame Grieve. Will invite him to this week's THO/UTG Subcommittee call.
  • OHDSI Symposium follow-up
    • OMOP + FHIR track: high attendance
    • Upcoming proposal for Vocab WG re: OMOP Vocab / External Terminologies
      • FMG / FHIR - I proposal in the wings
    • SSSOM workshop to be repeated virtually
  • Vulcan FHIR-to-OMOP project
    • New participants: SMILE Digital Health
  • Proposal: developing a core UCUM Value Set (Upcoming)
      • CMG / V2 / OHDSI communities expressing interest
      • FHIR / CMG value sets not currently aligned
HL7 Terminology Authority (HTA)

    • ICHOM folks came to HTA call this week, provided guidance on use of external terminologies vs local content development
    • American Type Culture Collection (ATCC) erroneously was imported at the time THO was first populated with an incorrect URL (which is the correct URL for WHO's Anatomical Therapeutic Chemical (ATC). HTA agreed to delete the existing ATCC record as it was 1) included in the code system records that were retired due to no exiting work group or management group claiming use and 2) it was completely wrong from it's existence
    • UICC TNM was approved to be added with the 8th edition information (OID and URI)
Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM

Product Management Council

    • Met Friday 21-10-2022
    • CDA MG will present at November PMC Webinar. TSMG likely next webinar thereafter.

TSC Membership - (deferred: RM not available at 10:12)

  • RM will take to the TSC: 4 year terms, then one year off and establishing 2 alternate members as outlined above 
  •   RM: update re: proposal from TSMG?
    • in TSC meeting: other management groups had not yet discussed this topic.  This will be reviewed in today's (this week's) TSS meeting. Update next week
    • Bryn will bring back this update if RM is not available

  • Deprecation Policy and Implementation
    • Tabs created
    • Deprecation Policy Framework
    • Issue logged to render identifier.period:
      • Lloyd disagrees with rendering identifier.period. Would rather hold deprecated identifiers in naming systems but enhance tooling to link code systems to their identifier systems based on url
    • RD:  this is the intended purpose for the CodeSystem / ValueSet can be linked to corresponding naming system established by the code system: url value is equivalent to the preferred url in the name - so they should
    • RD:  is Lloyd going to provide a link to the naming system?
      • JB: need to establish this as policy before he should go do this
    • RD:  will discuss this with Grahame to understand what his position is
    • 20221031: This item may be removed as all open actions are resolved.
Parking Lot 

  • Terminology Server (Implementation Requirement)
    • Follow-up from WGM - next steps re: terminology server (service) requirements (1-page description)
  • UTG / THO Subcommittee work in progress
    • Vocab WG follow-up: Policy Requiring Identification of Stewards for HL7 (Internal) Code Systems

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document