Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata


Chair:  Reuben Daniels 

Scribe: Caroline Macumber 


Monday, October 10, 1:00-2:30AM UTC

Monday, October 10,  9:00-10:30AM USA ET

Monday, October 11, 11:00-12:30AM (next day) AEST

Tuesday, October 11, 2:00-3:30AM NZDT   


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)X -ReubenThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)PMD Partners, Inc.

MPApelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MX - ReubenHL7 New Zealand
MPPrecipius b.v.
HL7 Germany
Health Intersections
Canada Health Infoway
OPNational Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
John SnyderNational Library of Medicine (US)
Ted KleinTK Consulting
Lloyd MackenzieAccenture
Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Doug DeShazoLexisNexis
MaryKay McDanielFM/Markam
Corey SpearsMITRE
John SpinosaLantana
OPHarold SolbrigMayo
Joe AmlungReginstrief
Martha JonesHL7 Intern
Riki MerrickVernetzt, LLC
Gaurav Vaidya
Emily PfaffUNC
Eric PrudhommeauxJaneiro Digital
David BoothYosemite Project
Jim BalhoffUNC
Christian ReichOHDSI
Harold Solbrig

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item


  • Announcements
  • New time for this meeting
    • Finalize next month...
      • Daylight saving changes
      • Fonteva upgrade
  • TSMG appointments for 2023
    • Slate needs to be developed
      • Expiring members and willingness to stand again (y/n)
        • Davera - yes
        • Sylvia - no
        • Rob M - no
        • Peter - no
        • Michael - yes
        • Roel - yes
  • JB: Next THO freeze is planned for October 23
    • Announcements went to Zulip, co-chair list...
    • Action item from 10-10 meeting:  release notes?  enumerating tickets included
    • Action item from 10-10 meeting:  need to determine version #
TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates

 HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)As neededJB/RM/CC
  HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10RD/JB
  • Fixing errors and warnings due to missing metadata elements in THO: UP-349 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    • Mostly V3 content
    • MF - Perhaps leave the warnings as the build isn't broken (no errors). Anything programmatically hacked to get rid of the warnings, can you revert it after the build to put them back?
    • RD - Do what is requested with the understanding that we come back and come up with a more permanent solution, even if it means removing (not simply retiring) these records. 
    • JB moves - Approve changes in UP-349 
      • MF - Seconds with friendly amendment to commit to addressing root problem after the build at some not too distant date 
      • Motion carries 6-0-0
  • Standard copyright for HL7 content
  • Workflow for THO releases (moving content approved in ballot to THO AND how to handle missed THO deadline)
    • Requires discussion - priority item to resolve
    • This is a key component of the IG Developer tutorial
  • Versioning policy for UTG/THO
    • Finished proposal for HL7 Code System elements
    • There are a few higher level considerations before moving over to Value Sets
  • Many CodeSystems use urls when they should be FHIR-37440 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    • UTG/THO subcommittee working through differences across elements for duplicates to determine what is consequential 
  • Tutorial to FHIR-I at WGM - terminology expectations / UTG process
    • JB will share slides:  good starter content for IG developer tutorial
  • Connectathon track disposition
    • DG: Motion to cease the current Connectathon track in its current configuration. JB Seconds.  Motion passes 6-0-0. 
  • OHDSI Annual Symposium October 15-18.  Bethesda, MD
    • FHIR + OMOP Workshops Saturday 10/15
  • Education / Outreach Subgroup meetings - rescheduling
  • Zulip text mining →intro at next Co-chairs (TSC) call
  • FHIR Terminology Education
    • Outlines from WGM Tutorials analysis
    • Identifying 3 Tutorials
      • Intro to FHIR Terminology
      • Advanced FHIR Terminology
      • Terminology for IG developers - a request from Grahame
        • "practical"
        • RM: also add: creating value Sets for ECQMs - selection of content
    • RD:  there was a great deal of interest in the terminology training
      • There is also a need for some basics: there persists some confusion
    • JB:  there are a lot of documents re: to policy - we could use a repository for these
      • create a plan between Vocab & TSMG - in one place
  • HL7 / OHDSI Transformathon
    • May 5-7 & 15-16, 2023 (New Orleans & TBD)
    • Bringing OHDSI & FHIR Technical Communities together
    • De-identified FHIR RWD (crufty: NOT synthetic) to transform to OMOP
    • Gather issues, review / resolve in 5/15-16 sessions
  • Proposal from CMG / OHDSI communities re: developing a core UCUM Value Set (Upcoming)
HL7 Terminology Authority (HTA)

    • ICHOM folks came to HTA call this week, provided guidance on use of external terminologies vs local content development
    • American Type Culture Collection (ATCC) erroneously was imported at the time THO was first populated with an incorrect URL (which is the correct URL for WHO's Anatomical Therapeutic Chemical (ATC). HTA agreed to delete the existing ATCC record as it was 1) included in the code system records that were retired due to no exiting work group or management group claiming use and 2) it was completely wrong from it's existence
    • UICC TNM was approved to be added with the 8th edition information (OID and URI)
Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM

Product Management Council

    • THO challenges around making it source of truth
    • PMC met 7Oct22 - no terminology representation
    • RM: anyone can attend this meeting - follow-up to clarify that
    • RM:  the THO issue raised by Jean D.
      • use of VSAC or sources outside of HL7
        • per PMC meeting minutes "Discussion over request from Jean for a policy around when terminology must be in THO vs. external for IGs"
      • also ties into the THO policy development

TSC Membership - (deferred: RM not available at 10:12)

  • RM will take to the TSC: 4 year terms, then one year off and establishing 2 alternate members as outlined above 
  •   RM: update re: proposal from TSMG?
    • in TSC meeting: other management groups had not yet discussed this topic.  This will be reviewed in today's (this week's) TSS meeting. Update next week
    • Bryn will bring back this update if RM is not available

  • Deprecation Policy and Implementation
    • Tabs created
    • Deprecation Policy Framework
    • Issue logged to render identifier.period:
      • Lloyd disagrees with rendering identifier.period. Would rather hold deprecated identifiers in naming systems but enhance tooling to link code systems to their identifier systems based on url
    • RD:  this is the intended purpose for the CodeSystem / ValueSet can be linked to corresponding naming system established by the code system: url value is equivalent to the preferred url in the name - so they should
    • RD:  is Lloyd going to provide a link to the naming system?
      • JB: need to establish this as policy before he should go do this
    • RD:  will discuss this with Grahame to understand what his position is
Parking Lot 


Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document