Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata


Chair:  Reuben Daniels 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Monday, October 10, 1:00-2:30AM UTC

Monday, October 10,  9:00-10:30AM USA ET

Monday, October 11, 11:00-12:30AM (next day) AEST

Tuesday, October 11, 2:00-3:30AM NZDT   


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)X - proxy to ReubenClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)P, x - proxy to DaveraMD Partners, Inc.

Apelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MX - Proxy to ReubenHL7 New Zealand
MPPrecipius b.v.
HL7 Germany
Health Intersections
Canada Health Infoway
National Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
John SnyderNational Library of Medicine (US)
Ted KleinTK Consulting
Lloyd MackenzieAccenture
Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Doug DeShazoLexisNexis
MaryKay McDanielFM/Markam
Corey SpearsMITRE
John SpinosaLantana
Hope GrayHL7 Intern
OPJoe AmlungReginstrief
Martha JonesHL7 Intern
Riki MerrickVernetzt, LLC
Gaurav Vaidya
Emily PfaffUNC
Eric PrudhommeauxJaneiro Digital
David BoothYosemite Project
Jim BalhoffUNC
Christian ReichOHDSI
Harold Solbrig

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item


  • Announcements
  • New time for this meeting
    • Finalize next month...
      • Daylight saving changes
      • Fonteva upgrade
  • TSMG appointments for 2023
    • Slate needs to be developed
      • Expiring members and willingness to stand again (y/n)
        • Davera - yes
        • Sylvia - no
        • Rob M - no
        • Peter - no
        • Michael - yes
        • Roel - yes
  • JB: Next THO freeze is planned for October 23
    • Announcements going to Zulip, co-chair list...
    • RM: is it possible to get release notes?  enumerating tickets included...
    • JB:  this could be added to the dashboard Marc created
    • Action item:  need to determine version #
TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates

  • Connectathon track disposition
    • DG: Motion to cease the current Connectathon track in its current configuration. JB Seconds.  Motion passes 6-0-0. 
  • OHDSI Annual Symposium October 15-18.  Bethesda, MD
    • FHIR + OMOP Workshops Saturday 10/15
  • Education / Outreach Subgroup meetings - rescheduling
  • Zulip text mining →intro at next Co-chairs (TSC) call
  • FHIR Terminology Education
    • Outlines from WGM Tutorials analysis
    • Identifying 3 Tutorials
      • Intro to FHIR Terminology
      • Advanced FHIR Terminology
      • Terminology for IG developers - a request from Grahame
        • "practical"
        • RM: also add: creating value Sets for ECQMs - selection of content
    • RD:  there was a great deal of interest in the terminology training
      • There is also a need for some basics: there persists some confusion
    • JB:  there are a lot of documents re: to policy - we could use a repository for these
      • create a plan between Vocab & TSMG - in one place
  • HL7 / OHDSI Transformathon
    • May 5-7 & 15-16, 2023 (New Orleans & TBD)
    • Bringing OHDSI & FHIR Technical Communities together
    • De-identified FHIR RWD (crufty: NOT synthetic) to transform to OMOP
    • Gather issues, review / resolve in 5/15-16 sessions
  • Proposal from CMG / OHDSI communities re: developing a core UCUM Value Set (Upcoming)
  HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10RD/JB
  • Terminology expectations for IG developers
    • Terminology Expectations for IG Developers (Working)
    • Jess and Rob to discuss further ASAP and bring proposed policy back to TSMG next Monday
      • This will include some considerations from Grahame and Lloyd
    • This is a high priority item for resolution
    • Next week's meeting - will be dedicated to this topic
    • Reuben will send notification re: closure of this issue. Thursday eob for comments in document
  • Standard copyright for HL7 content
    • CC0 is the most appropriate license to apply. 
    • Would like to create a license page similar to the one that FHIR has to declare this in THO. Will also be some non-licensing text that has not yet been drafted, but will be. 
    • Dan & Grahame conferred on this
    • Dan would like to add content to the CC0 text - JB will follow-up to get this content
  • Workflow for THO releases (moving content approved in ballot to THO AND how to handle missed THO deadline)
    • Requires discussion - priority item to resolve
    • This is a key component of the IG Developer tutorial
  • Versioning policy for UTG/THO
    • Finished proposal for HL7 Code System elements
    • There are a few higher level considerations before moving over to Value Sets
  • Many CodeSystems use urls when they should be FHIR-37440 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    • UTG/THO subcommittee working through differences across elements for duplicates to determine what is consequential 
  • Tutorial to FHIR-I at WGM - terminology expectations / UTG process
    • JB will share slides:  good starter content for IG developer tutorial
HL7 Terminology Authority (HTA)

  • Last release of THO:  using "XYZ" with HL7 standards have been migrated & are no longer as a part of the FHIR core spec
  • These are now a component of the THO and can be updated more easily by HTA
  • First meeting after the WGM will be this week Th am
    • Priority item will be elimination of the Confluence pages - migrating to THO
  • JB: invited ICOM (Breast cancer IG group) 
    • This group has developed their own value sets from coding systems
    • Coming to HTA for guidance
  • Two groups are using the same ATC canonical url in two code systems metadata records
    • Have resolved this issue by retiring the identifier
    • RD:  need to flag Grahame & possibly Lloyd as to where this becomes evident
Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM

Product Management Council

    • THO challenges around making it source of truth
    • PMC met 7Oct22 - no terminology representation
    • RM: anyone can attend this meeting - follow-up to clarify that
    • RM:  the THO issue raised by Jean D.
      • use of VSAC or sources outside of HL7
        • per PMC meeting minutes "Discussion over request from Jean for a policy around when terminology must be in THO vs. external for IGs"
      • also ties into the THO policy development

TSC Membership - (deferred: RM not available at 10:12)

  • RM will take to the TSC: 4 year terms, then one year off and establishing 2 alternate members as outlined above 
  •   RM: update re: proposal from TSMG?
    • in TSC meeting: other management groups had not yet discussed this topic.  This will be reviewed in today's (this week's) TSS meeting. Update next week
    • Bryn will bring back this update if RM is not available

  • Deprecation Policy and Implementation
    • Tabs created
    • Deprecation Policy Framework
    • Issue logged to render identifier.period:
      • Lloyd disagrees with rendering identifier.period. Would rather hold deprecated identifiers in naming systems but enhance tooling to link code systems to their identifier systems based on url
    • RD:  this is the intended purpose for the CodeSystem / ValueSet can be linked to corresponding naming system established by the code system: url value is equivalent to the preferred url in the name - so they should
    • RD:  is Lloyd going to provide a link to the naming system?
      • JB: need to establish this as policy before he should go do this
    • RD:  will discuss this with Grahame to understand what his position is
Parking Lot 


Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document