Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair:  Reuben Daniels 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Monday, August 22, 1:00-2:30AM UTC

Monday, August 22,  9:00-10:30AM USA ET

Monday, August 22, 11:00-12:30AM (next day) AEST

Tuesday, August 23, 2:00-3:30AM NZDT   


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)X - proxy to ReubenClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)xMD Partners, Inc.


MxApelon, Inc.
MxNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MX - proxy to ReubenHL7 New Zealand
MxPrecipius b.v.
MxHL7 Germany
Health Intersections
OxCanada Health Infoway
OxNational Library of Medicine
OxHausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
OxJohn SnyderNational Library of Medicine (US)
Ted KleinTK Consulting
Lloyd MackenzieAccenture
Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Doug DeShazoLexisNexis
MaryKay McDanielFM/Markam
Corey SpearsMITRE
John SpinosaLantana
Hope GrayHL7 Intern
OXJoe AmlungReginstrief
OxMartha JonesHL7 Intern
Riki MerrickVernetzt, LLC
Gaurav Vaidya
Emily PfaffUNC
Eric PrudhommeauxJaneiro Digital
Joe AmlungReginstrief Instutute
David BoothYosemite Project
Jim BalhoffUNC
Christian ReichOHDSI
OxHarold Solbrig

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item


  • TSMG appointments for 2023
    • Slate needs to be developed
      • Expiring members and willingness to stand again (y/n)
        • Davera - yes
        • Sylvia - no
        • Rob M - no
        • Peter - no
        • Michael - yes
        • Roel - yes
TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates

  • Outreach / Education Topics
    • Subgroup meeting reverting to monthly cadence.  meeting again after WGM 
  • RD: content replicated between FHIR Core spec & THO / UTG
    • In upcoming WGM: lunch session to provide training about purpose of the UTG & THO content
      • Moving content from core spec into THO is causing some issues
      • This session aims to ameliorate this problem 
      • Request to capture session - high-value content will be captured 
  HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10RD/JB
  • Release of THO (RD will provide update)
    • Per Grahame: broken links in FHIR core spec as a result of changes made to THO
      • requesting an update be made to accommodate / fix links
    • Now planning an ad hoc early September freeze: 9/5
      • Mark can start publication process so tooling can be updated prior to publication
      • JB:  Does GH need an update / publication to support ballot?
        • RM: no update is needed until GH gets into the ballot reconciliation process
        • There will be an update needed based on those changes
        • JB: next planned release is Oct 27-ish...will that work?
    • RM: policy development... THO release is needed both for ballots as well as for publication (after ballot reconciliation)
      • JB: there is a goal to not respond to individual requests, but to have IG development process align with the established schedule
      • RM: content developers need to be able to develop content before it get moves into THO.
      • JB: is concerned with FHIR core. Adding content to the FHIR spec that is intended to reside in THO.  Would like to take this issue off-line. 
  • E-vote for review of terminology expectations for IG developers
  • Many CodeSystems use urls when they should be FHIR-37440 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    • Michael Faughn extracted code systems and value sets based on url (resources matched by id) from the THO/FHIR NPM packages
    • There are 72 Code Systems that have been identified as potential duplicates across FHIR and THO, 18 of which have a different url anchor ( vs. and 16 were identified to have differences with concepts.
    • Discussed discrepancies on FMG call last week
      • Grahame will help resolve duplicates and will involve resources where there are conflicts in the content between duplicate resources
      • This won't be done prior to R5 freeze, but can be addressed before publication of R5
      • FMG would like these changes in before ballot (9/14) so the changes need to be in by 9/4
      • Lloyd M estimates reconciliation for R5 will be complete in Spring 2023
      • (in chat) MF: Was it if a url change meant it was a new code system?
        • (in chat) RM: new code systems are given a new identifier (url, oid) But giving something another identifier does not mean it must be a different code system
  • Versioning policy for UTG/THO
    • Reuben to provide update on first meeting - weekly Wednesdays 4p EASTERN 
    • This week's discussion topic: HL7 terminology systems in THO
  • Standard copyright for HL7 content
    • Raising suggestion to have a standard copyright statement for content maintained and published by HL7
    • Dan V to chat with Grahame and agrees more discussion is needed
HL7 Terminology Authority (HTA)

  • Meeting this week (Th)
Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM
  • RM will take to the TSC: 4 year terms, then one year off and establishing 2 alternate members as outlined above 
  •   RM: update re: proposal from TSMG?
    • in TSC meeting: other management groups had not yet discussed this topic.  This will be reviewed in today's (this week's) TSS meeting. Update next week
    • Bryn will bring back this update if RM is not available
FHIR core tickets assigned to TSMG10RD
  • Reuben has this in process - update next week
Parking Lot 


Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document