Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair: Caroline Macumber 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Monday, August 8, 1:00-2:30AM UTC

Monday, August 8,  9:00-10:30AM USA ET

Monday, August 8, 11:00-12:30AM (next day) AEST

Tuesday, August 9, 2:00-3:30AM NZDT   


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)PMD Partners, Inc.

MPApelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MX - proxy to ReubenHL7 New Zealand
MPPrecipius b.v.
HL7 Germany
Health Intersections
Canada Health Infoway
OPNational Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
OPJohn SnyderNational Library of Medicine (US)
Ted KleinTK Consulting
Lloyd MackenzieAccenture
Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Doug DeShazoLexisNexis
MaryKay McDanielFM/Markam
Corey SpearsMITRE
John SpinosaLantana
OPHope GrayHL7 Intern
Joe AmlungReginstrief
OPMartha JonesHL7 Intern
Riki MerrickVernetzt, LLC
OPGaurav Vaidya
Emily PfaffUNC
Eric PrudhommeauxJaneiro Digital
Joe AmlungReginstrief Instutute
David BoothYosemite Project
Jim BalhoffUNC
Christian ReichOHDSI

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item


  • Announcements
  • TSMG appointments for 2023
    • Slate needs to be developed
      • Expiring members and willingness to stand again (y/n)
        • Davera - yes
        • Sylvia - ?
        • Rob M - no
        • Peter - no
        • Michael - yes
        • Roel - yes
TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates

  • September Connectathon 
  • Outreach / Education Topics
    • Weekly outreach subgroup meetings Tuesdays 3pm EASTERN - cancelled this week
    • Zulip Terminology Stream Analysis - preliminary results: 16Aug22
  HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10RD/JB
  • Adding a tab for profiles and extensions to THO 
    • Vote required
    • Related ticket:  FHIR-28612 - Define an extension to indicate whether a code system has an incomplete statement of code system definition
    • Increases visibility of extensions that are present: centralizing location
    • RD /DG: seconds Motion to add a tab for profiles, extensions UTG infrastructural code systems & values sets to THO.  Motion passes 8-0-0
  • Many CodeSystems use urls when they should be FHIR-37440 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    • Michael Faughn extracted code systems and value sets based on url (resources matched by id) from the THO/FHIR NPM packages
    • He is working on some refinement and then will continue to comparison of duplicate resources
  • Versioning policy for UTG/THO
    • Reuben sent out doodle poll last week for new task force to define versioning policies for:
      • External code system metadata records
      • Value sets
      • Naming systems
      • Concept maps
    • Postponed this week - will start THIS week
  • Standard copyright for HL7 content
    • Raising suggestion to have a standard copyright statement for content maintained and published by HL7
    • Currently no way to enforce this but could be in guidelines
    • The HL7 Copyright policy is here 
    • RD: the Australian policy is: Copyright ©️ 2018 Australian Digital Health Agency - All rights reserved. Except for the material identified below, this content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. See This resource includes material that is based on Australian Institute of Health and Welfare material. All copies of this resource must include this copyright statement and all information contained in this statement.
    • Gaurav V (in chat): The 4.0 is the version number of the CC-BY license. I think CC-BY-ND says you can share this content but can't share a modified version of this content:
    • Carol all CC licenses can be found here:
    • Connectathon topic: copyright issues for terminology content.  Also engage HQ (Karen V / Dan V...) re: HL7 guidance re: Terminology content.  (i.e.: new THO content & FHIR content on THO)
IRIs in FHIR & UTG content10RD, CM

TSMG vote required re: HTA recommendations

  • Initial authoring - FHIR RDF will provide information for code systems used in HL7 products
  • Maintenance going forward - HTA to include IRIs going forward for external code systems.
    • Gaurav Vaidya, also applies to identifier systems (e.g., passport numbers, driver's license numbers, device identifiers)?
  • IRIs are used outside of HL7, essentially these create a map for exchange for code system information, paired with code, for use elsewhere
  • This includes the commitment that FHIR RDA group will make changes to metadata records in THO. 
  • DG: Motion to accept the HTA recommendations per IRI and will be recorded in the policy page, including a link to the FHIR RDF minutes where that group has agreed to provide the support as asserted above., RB: seconds the motion.  Motion passes 8-0-0
Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM
  • Update
    • TSC will meet later today to discuss management group terms. RM will provide established feedback expressed in TSMG re: this policy.
    • RD: Motion that TSMG doesn't support the TSC motion as stated.  DG seconded,  Motion passes 7-0-1
  • Proposal: TSC Product Management Council
Parking Lot 


Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document