Subcommittee Lead: Jessica Bota 

Supporting TSMG Co-Chair: Reuben Daniels 


Tuesday 8:00-9:00PM UTC

Tuesday 4:00-5:00PM USA EDT

Wednesday 6:00-7:00AM AEST

Wednesday 9:00-10:00AM NZDT 

See for meeting details.


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)
Reuben DanielsSaludax

Jess Bota

Apelon, Inc.

Lisa Nelson


Michael Faughn

National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
Davera GabrielJohns Hopkins University Institute for Clinical and Translational Research

Dan Vreeman

HL7 International

Ted Klein

Klein Consulting

Marc Duteau 

HL7 International

Joan Harper

Canada Health Infoway

John Snyder

National Library of Medicine

Rob Hausam


Alex Kontur

OPRavi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Abdullah RafiqiICF
OPHope GrayUAB - Birmingham, HL7 Intern
OPMartha JonesGeorge Mason, HL7 Intern

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Agenda Topics

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time Allocation


Agenda Item
  • Rollcall & Proxies
  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Agenda check

Purpose of call is to review open tickets in the UTG Jira project (UP), specifically tickets in the following states:

  • Consensus Review
  • Waiting For Input
  • Proposal Draft
  • Environment Setup
V2 Example Code Systems 10mMF
  • There are code systems in V2 that V2MG feels should never be used for a value set
  • How do we indicate it should never be used in an implementation?
  • CodeSystem.experimental = true could be an option, but depends how validation tooling flags it
  • May have been removed from Chapter 2C but there are references to things that may have been removed
  • We still need something for them so that they resolve, even if removed from 2C
  • Needs additional discussion and investigation
Follow-up on THO vs. FHIR discussion15mJB
  • Discussed with Grahame on TSMG main call, 7/25
  • Need to determine the following:
    • Content that exists in both THO and R5 with the same canonical URL
      1. Exact match on content - remove resource from R5
        1. Grahame modified version so that it referenced THO or FHIR based on the version, not sure logic for validation though
        2. If minor version is 1, it was migrated as part of 4.0 cleanup and 4.1 prep. If 3, it was part of prep for R4B, Ted saw some with minor version a 6
        3. All have a major version of 0 in THO due to some build hack to pull out the right thing and not give duplicate resource errors
      2. Versions are different - look to see if the content is different & determine which content is correct - a manual review
      3. Content is different, do manual review to determine which is the most up to date - another manual process
    • Content anchored in THO that only exists in R5
      1. Move to THO and remove from R5
    • Check for content in THO
    • Determine handling of value sets that reference THO anchored code systems
  • Michael will take first pass at getting lists of the following 
    • From fhir spec, find url for all code systems and value sets anchored in
    • From THO, find url for all code systems and value sets
Next THO release5mJB
  • Jess will post to Zulip on the committers thread to see if a THO release is needed prior to the R5 content deadline
Ticket Review30mJB

Note that we really need to make sure new content has an OID assigned!

Tickets to be reviewed this week: 

UP-312 - Getting issue details... STATUS - tagged Corey to ensure he saw response

UP-280 - Getting issue details... STATUS - tagged voters to review and vote

UP-246 - Getting issue details... STATUS - this one has a broken link that Marc will investigate 

Handling of V2 UTG tickets:

  • Michael will bring list of V2 related UTG tickets to V2MG for further review and potential next steps
  • T Key Summary Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution Created Updated Due

Open questions TSMG:

  • Recommend that we put together a template copyright for HL7 content (might be one that exists already for IGs/standards)
Adjournment0m JBCall adjourned at 4:34PM EDT. Next call in two weeks at 4:00PM EDT August, 9 2022.

Action items