Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair: Caroline Macumber 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Monday, June 27, 1:00-2:30PM UTC

Monday, June 27,  9:00-10:30AM USA ET

Monday, June 27, 11:00-12:30AM (next day) AEST

Tuesday, June 28, 2:00-3:30AM NZDT   


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
M (CSDO)PHL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)PMD Partners, Inc.

P @ 30 min past

MPApelon, Inc.
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
Mx- Reuben as proxyHL7 New Zealand
Precipius b.v.
HL7 Germany
Health Intersections
OACanada Health Infoway
National Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
OPJohn SnyderNational Library of Medicine (US)
Ted KleinTK Consulting
Lloyd Mackenzie
Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Doug DeShazoLexisNexis
MaryKay McDanielFM/Markam
Corey Spears
John SpinosaLantana
OPHope GrayHL7 Intern
OPJoe AmlungReginstrief
OPMartha JonesHL7 Intern

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item

  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Welcome to members and observers
    • Dan V introduction of intern mission: development of self-paced training in terminology / playbook for new IG developers.  Available through September
      • Hope:  UAB, PhD in Health Services Admin focus in informatics
      • Martha: new grad Geo. Mason U Health Services Admin concentration in health informatics


  • Announcements
  • Contract work announcement for web-based terminology resource editor for FHIR
  • No meeting next week 4Jul22

HL7_RFP_UTG Terminology Resource Editor.pdf

    • Jess:  Dan V asked Ted & Jess what functionality would be needed for UTG / THO.  But the overall purpose also intended for general-purposes as well. Local copy of editor will also ease requirement to edit xml, interacts with GitLab. 
    • Ability to create new resources is was added to the RFP per our request
TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates

  • Connectathon 31 Terminology Services Track Proposal - draft in process
  • Outreach / Education Topics: Zulip Terminology Stream Analysis - in process
    • Monthly meeting next week
  • Co-chair terminology presentation - FAQs
  HL7 Terminology Authority10


  HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10RD/JB
  • Many CodeSystems use urls when they should be FHIR-37440 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    • Discussed in 23Jun22 Vocab WG AI as follows:
      • "Need to follow audit trail to see how these resources got in R4B 
      • Need to pick one and reach out to WG to determine how it got that way
        1. Rob H, Carol and Jess will investigate"
  • Drafted page to work on terminology expectations for IG developers
    • Terminology Expectations for IG Developers (Working)
    • Need to dedicate time to reviewing this proposed policy, open questions in pink text
      • This may be a good item to employ eVoting 
      • Need a template to support an eVote.  RM: reach out to Anne for this template
      • RM: Another option for leveraging Confluence functionality can structure questions in the page for those questions requiring discussion
  • Deprecation Policy and Implementation
  • Versioning policy for UTG/THO
    • Only have approved versioning policy for HL7 code systems (i.e., what changes constitute major, minor, or technical correction version number updates)
    • Need to define versioning policies for:
      • External code system metadata records
      • Value sets
      • Naming systems
      • Concept maps
    • Tackle on biweekly UTG policy calls or form task force?
      • RM: this is an important set of policies to establish this. For example: Gender Harmony value sets are being updated without any versioning.  Tooling is needed to support these processes. Should be its own task force under THO/UTG subcommittee joint with Vocab WG. 
      • Dan V: there a need to establish the policies as separate from tooling requirements.  One happens (policies) that leads to functional requirements
      • RM / JB:  related to the THO editor functional requirements
      • JB:  will send our a poll to establish meetings for the taskforce.  include TSMG, Vocab WG, FHIR-I (Lloyd M in particular) RM: could additionally use some implementation / practical knowledge ie:  Peter J. or Michael Lawley et al - folks that have to do this to support their terminology server clients
      • RD:  tooling is one portion of this issue, and then enforcement of the policy is another aspect that will need to be addressed 
      • CM:  technical versioning is different than versioning driven by business requirements thoughtful accommodation is needed re: these and how they are similar of different
  • CDC Race & Ethnicity THO convenience copy
      • Update in HTA meeting from RM, CM: update
        • There is a meeting coming up with USRSC 
        • There are some grouper concepts that collect the more detailed (race) concepts a requirement for payor communicating with CMS.  There are "ideas" in this space that are not represented in the coding system currently.  These are going to need to be created. the steps required to do this are:
          1. To comply with this need create a convenience copy within THO (a proforma requirement)
          2. This creates the ability another coding system that will be used in conjunction with the currently available coding system
          3. And add a concept map which accommodates the the requirement to express "& other" concepts needed
          4. Make the Value Sets for the requirement in THO
        • RM: Motion to do the aforementioned 4 steps. DG: seconded. Motion 6-1-0
        • RD:  has HQ signed off on this?  Also: who owns the liability for and maintenance of this content?
        • CM: the HTA can set this up to meet the timeliness / urgency for this.  Ongoing maintenance should be determined for the appropriate group outside of the HTA (US Realm?  DaVinci? this should be determined)
        • John Snyder:  checked in this on the UMLS side since the last meeting -currently getting from both CDC and HL7.  if this proposal goes forward, this will negatively impact the concept to root alignment within the UMLS.
          • RM:  suggesting the new code system created by the HTA in the THO and the concept maps created should also be sent to the UMLS, as this may address the inconsistency cited
        • RD: HQ position on creating terminology artifacts based on external use cases? 
          • DV:  no policy established, but there is a need to listen / accommodate to the requirements of the community. Suggest management of these convenience copies with full transparency.  Open question:  how will this content & underlying requirements evolve? Approach should accommodate the need in the short term and continue to listen monitor events impacting requirements.
          • RD:  is there a path for the HQ / executives at HL7 to escalate in certain situations?  
          • DV:  can explore this with executives at HL7 and representatives at ONC... 
          • RM:  this particular example should be the US Realm Steering committee responsibility: especially to reduce overhead for the TSMG.  The TSMG has a technical solution, but the issue / requirements are under the governance of the US Realm Steering committee
  • Subcommittee work in progress
    • Filling slots for UTG OSG Voters
      • Management Groups for Product Family OSGs 
        • FMG: John Moerke (Bryn discussing final slots with FHIR-I today)
        • CMG: Lisa Nelson, Alexander Henket, Marc Duteau
        • V2: Michael Faughn, Frank Oemig, Rob Snelick
    • Vocab WG follow-up: Policy Requiring Identification of Stewards for HL7 (Internal) Code Systems
  • eMail from Reuben re: internally managed identifier systems
    • deadline of this Friday indicated in eMail
 Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM
  • eVoting
  • External Code system process policy.  This is the document that was sent to the TSC
    • RM: update from TSC:
      • once out to vote - early results are all affirmative thus far RM expects this will pass
      • expects there may be some discussion
      • TSC eVote regarding external identifier policy: TSC e-Vote 2022-06-20  10 votes affirmative at this time
  • Frequency of THO publication 
    • JB is working a recommendation based on TSC feedback during approval establishing a regular cadence
  • Requirement for web-based authoring environment - will be a feature of editing tool out for contract
Terminology Server (Implementation Requirement)

  • Follow-up from WGM - next steps re: terminology server (service) requirements (1-page description)
    • Needs to clearly state why we do not have what is needed in the currently available services including THO or
    • Jess / Reuben / Rob Hausam/Davera

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document



1 Comment

  1. Usual apologies from me due to timing. Proxy to Reuben,