Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair: Caroline Macumber 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Monday, June 13, 1:00-2:30PM UTC

Monday, June13,  9:00-10:30AM USA ET

Monday, June 13, 11:00-12:30AM (next day) AEST

Tuesday, June 14, 2:00-3:30AM NZDT   


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)AClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)PMD Partners, Inc.


Apelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MX- Reuben HL7 New Zealand
MPPrecipius b.v.
HL7 Germany
Health Intersections
OPCanada Health Infoway
National Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
John SnyderNational Library of Medicine (US)
Ted KleinTK Consulting
Lloyd Mackenzie
Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Doug DeShazoLexisNexis
MaryKay McDanielFM/Markam
Corey Spears
John SpinosaLantana

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item

  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Welcome to members and observers


  • Announcements
  • Contract work announcement for web-based terminology resource editor for FHIR

HL7_RFP_UTG Terminology Resource Editor.pdf

    • Jess:  Dan V asked Ted & Jess what functionality would be needed for UTG / THO.  But the overall purpose also intended for general-purposes as well. Local copy of editor will also ease requirement to edit xml, interacts with GitLab. 
    • Ability to create new resources is lacking functionality in the requirements as stated in the work announcement
      • Jess will follow-up with Dan / Ted re: this noted lack of requirements
PSS Review

PSS-2091 - Getting issue details... STATUS Physical Activity Implementation Guide

TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates


OHDSI / SNOMED International Announcement

  • Christian Reich is willing to schedule time with the TSMG on OMOP Vocabulary copyright agreements (or other topics)
    • Reuben: does this mean that users of OMOP Vocab will have the ability to use the International edition of SNOMED CT
    • Seeking additional insight as to the use of OMOP ids 
    • Meet with Suzy & Christian at a time that both are available - AI Davera Gabriel  
      • Access & use of SCT from the OHDSI GitHub repository
        • what does this mean for the utilization of SCT within HL7, how does this confer / potentially impact
      • OMOP identifier generation
        • Does agreement change or is there a change planned for OMOP ids assigned to SCT? 
        • ex:  requirements for source id information in CDM 
  • Connectathon 31 Terminology Services Track Proposal - draft in process
  • Outreach / Education Topics: Zulip Terminology Stream Analysis - in process
  • Co-chair terminology presentation - FAQs
  HL7 Terminology Authority10


  • SEPIO-GC HTA request may be withdrawn.  Will be on an upcoming CGWG agenda to get WG buy-in
  • HTA Meeting this week
  • Jess completed the case sensitivity adjustment in THO to the external terminology records
  HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10RD/JB
  • Drafted page to work on terminology expectations for IG developers
  • CDC Race & Ethnicity THO convenience copy
    • The CDC states this content in the public domain
      • This impacts trying to get an official request to put a convenience copy in THO
      • No official agreement from CDC for content will be forthcoming
    • If the required are subsets (Value Sets) are maintained, this content could go into the THO
      • Party responsible for maintenance is TBD
        • This may be CDA, per requirements in CDA standards 
    • Per Lisa: MaxMD is developing the required (regulated) subset(s) with the assistance of Lenel James
    • RM:  there is some clean-up required based on historical data ported into THO
    • The CDC Race / Ethnicity 1.2 is available in VSAC, which reflects the subset / value sets
      • This fact may obviate the need for the convenience copy in THO, if an "official" copy is available in VSAC
        • RM: suggests US Realm or cross-project group has jurisdiction over these decisions
      • RM: If VSAC is determined by the CMG to be the source of truth for this value set, then clear with VSAC the requirement for the API key.  If this is done then this would be the solution, better than a convenience copy in THO
      • There may be a requirement in VSAC for the canonical URI to be VSAC and thus if the URI is maintained in THO, then this may break any requirements from the VSAC for a VSAC URI for Value Sets hosted on VSAC
      • RM & LN - to approach the US Realm steering committee to consider VSAC the source of truth for value sets that reference CDC Race & Ethnicity Code Systems 
        • a requirement would be VSAC declare utilization of that content without API key
        • & no convenience copy in THO
    • CDC is working on a new version of the code system
      • Potential that the CDC may not adhere to concept persistence in this new version being worked on
    • RM:  if recommendation that the VSAC be the source of truth for CDC Race & Ethnicity, the content, references in THO would need to be deprecated.  VSAC would also need to make this content available without a license
    • RD: no mention of PHIN-VADS & the CDC is currently developing FHIR terminologies
      • RM: PHIN VADS doesn't utilize canonical URLs but does utilized OIDs as their identifiers
        • if the CDC implements a FHIR endpoint, then there would be a requirement for the canonical URI
    • John Snyder:  the CDC Race & Ethnicity content feed into the UMLS is V3 at this time
      • RM:  yes: this is a problem, the V3 info into the UMLS should be deprecated.  Another loose end that needs to be addressed
      • RD:  this is another example of pattern re: V3 - can we simplify and deprecate all of the V3?
        • RM: code sets referenced in the RIM can never be deprecated (ie: ACT code ...)
        • RD: would like to develop guidance / statement re: what can and can not be deprecated from V3
        • RM:  this is a project that requires commitment / approval if it is to be undertaken
  • Subcommittee work in progress
    • Filling slots for UTG OSG Voters
      • Management Groups for Product Family OSGs 
        • FMG: John Moerke (Bryn filling final slots)
        • CMG: Lisa Nelson, Alexander Henket, Marc Duteau
        • V2: Michael Faughn, Frank Oemig, Rob Snelick
    • Vocab WG follow-up: Policy Requiring Identification of Stewards for HL7 (Internal) Code Systems
    • Report on Deprecation Policy and Implementation
      • Started discussion with Lloyd to render identifier.period for tracking deprecated identifiers for code systems and value sets
        • This would require a change to the IG Publisher and there was some disagreement on the best way to track the identifiers (identifier.period vs. naming system) however the deprecation task force found many issues using naming systems for this purpose
      • Deprecation Policy Framework
 Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM
  • eVoting
  • External Code system process policy.  This is the document that was sent to the TSC
    • RM: requires implementation of temporary identifier, where is this managed?  who manages this identifier?
      • where will these identifiers be tracked?  are these components of a naming system?
  • Frequency of THO publication. TSMG suggestion was 3x / year (aligned with the ballot cadence)
Terminology Server (Implementation Requirement)

  • Follow-up from WGM - next steps re: terminology server (service) requirements (1-page description)

** Items in red font above not covered due to time limitations **


Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document