Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair: Caroline Macumber 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Monday, June 6,, 1:00-2:30PM UTC

Monday, June 6,  9:00-10:30AM USA ET

Monday, June 6, 11:00-12:30AM (next day) AEST

Tuesday, June 7, 2:00-3:30AM NZDT   


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)PMD Partners, Inc.


MPApelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MX- Reuben HL7 New Zealand
Precipius b.v.
HL7 Germany
Health Intersections
OPCanada Health Infoway
National Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
OPJohn SnyderNational Library of Medicine (US)
Ted KleinTK Consulting
Lloyd Mackenzie
Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Doug DeShazoLexisNexis
MaryKay McDanielFM/Markam
Corey Spears
John SpinosaLantana

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 

05-23-22 - WGM session

This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item

  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Welcome to members and observers


  • Announcements
  • September WGM survey: in person / remote
    • Joint w/ Vocab Q3 / Standalone Th Q2
    • Any conflicts with these times - TSMG members should provide notification
    • Survey re: in-person attendance indicates only 6 of all TSMG membership have responded
    • Members are asked to weigh-in on whether they are attending the September WGM to assure there is quorum
PSS Review

  PSS-2099 - Getting issue details... STATUS

 Davera will follow-up with Josh re: Jira

TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates


Monthly Education & Outreach Subcommittee Meeting - Tuesday 6/7, 3-4p EASTERN US

  • Connectathon 31 planning
  • "Ask an Expert" session (non-Connectathon) follow-up
  • Upcoming FAQs / process guides 

OHDSI Community

  • Upcoming Agenda (6/13?)  Christian Reich to discuss OMOP Vocabulary copyright agreements with SNOMED CT.  If Rob McClure is not available, should we reschedule?

Excerpt from a recent OHDSI Forum post: 

"...5.1. SNOMED International grants OHDSI access to SNOMED CT during the Term for the sole purpose of, and solely to the extent necessary for use only in OHDSI products that are available on the GitHub OHDSI organization (OHDSI products), such as OMOP CDM, Athena, Atlas, etc. Use of SNOMED CT extracted from OHDSI products and used locally by OHDSI users are not included in the Agreement and users should be directed to contact SNOMED International for license for use.

Bottom line: You can use it for ETLing OMOP CDM instances, and it can show up in OHDSI tools. This is the legal description for “you can do observational research in OHDSI”. What you cannot do is to extract it for other purposes or redistribute it further. What they really are allergic to is use in any patient care products (EHR, imaging systems, lab systems, pathology systems etc.)."

  •  Upcoming OHDSI 2022 Symposia
  HL7 Terminology Authority10


  • Policy & Process documentation
    • Request to TSC has been made, awaiting scheduling
  • Identifier System 
    • TSMG Agenda Item: Passport Only, Drivers License Number Only, International, U.S. sub-tabs
    • Status update?
    • DG: Moves that tabs be added to the page indicating categories of identifiers emulating the External Code systems page.  JB Seconds.  Motion passes 8-0-0
  • People are using identifiers from such as in their implementations
    • RM suggests the External Terminology Policy should be be easier to find
    • Rob: the use of OIDs in some (eg: USCore) publications have occurred becuase the WG found these as a fit for their purposes when there are canonical URLs available... should TSMG consider retrieving these and enforce policy changes?
      • Requested additional on how this star rating system would be used as a code system
      • ClinVar reference page:
      • The code system criteria are not present / demonstrated in the ClinVar "star rating" per review and discussion.  The TSMG is in agreement that if a request is made and the TSMG agrees with the HTA that the code system breaks the conventions (ie: uniqueness / persistence) then the recommendation is that the TSMG / HTA will work with the requestor to  develop approaches to use the content in a "non-code system" manner, but that the request will be denied and the ticket will be closed.
      • Rob M:  it would be expedient for the future if there is a denial under these circumstances, then this be recorded in such as way as to be referenceable and the request not be posed again in the future. 
  HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10RD/JB
  • Cleanup of 6 telecom errors in THO build
    • Four due to incomplete links (missing https) and one due to email listed as url
    • Changes complete, looking for approval: UP-329 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    • DG moves to approve the corrections / changes that Jess made. RD seconds. Motion Passes 8-0-0
  • Drafted page to work on terminology expectations for IG developers
  • Items below were not addressed due to time
  • Subcommittee work in progress
    • Filling slots for UTG OSG Voters
      • Management Groups for Product Family OSGs 
        • FMG: John Moerke (Bryn filling final slots)
        • CMG: Lisa Nelson, Alexander Henket, Marc Duteau
        • V2: Michael Faughn, Frank Oemig, Rob Snelick
    • Vocab WG follow-up: Policy Requiring Identification of Stewards for HL7 (Internal) Code Systems
    • Report on Deprecation Policy and Implementation
      • Started discussion with Lloyd to render identifier.period for tracking deprecated identifiers for code systems and value sets
        • This would require a change to the IG Publisher and there was some disagreement on the best way to track the identifiers (identifier.period vs. naming system) however the deprecation task force found many issues using naming systems for this purpose
      • Deprecation Policy Framework
 Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM
  • Decision Making Practices
    • Not approved by TSC, what changes do we need to make before sending it back?

    • In meeting discussed comments from TSC.  Made small changes to confluence DMP document here in TSMG meeting in anticipation of upcoming TSC meeting / discussion later today.
    • Motion to approve the DMP document as changed:  DG / seconded RM. Motion passes 8-0-0
Terminology Server (Implementation Requirement)

  • Follow-up from WGM - next steps re: terminology server (service) requirements (1-page description)

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document




  1. Apologies and Proxy to Reuben Daniels. The meeting actually starts at 1am in NZ (we are currently UTC+12), but still past my bedtime!

  2. WRT to the timing of the Sept WGM sessions, could you please try to void Thursday as that will clash with the Affiliate Meeting. 

    Is there any possibility that we might meet on the Friday Morning, when there is likely to be fewer conflicts.

    Many thanks, Peter