Chair: Reuben Daniels 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Monday, May 2, 1:00-2:30PM UTC

Monday, May 2,  9:00-10:30AM USA ET

Monday, May 2, 11:00-12:30AM (next day) AEST

Tuesday, May 3, 2:00-3:30AM NZDT   


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)X - Proxy to CMSaludax
HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)PMD Partners, Inc.


MPApelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
HL7 New Zealand
MPPrecipius b.v.
HL7 Germany
Health Intersections
OPCanada Health Infoway
OPNational Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
OPJohn SnyderNational Library of Medicine (US)
Ted KleinTK Consulting
Lloyd Mackenzie
Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
Doug DeShazoLexisNexis
MaryKay McDanielFM/Markam
Corey Spears
John SpinosaLantana

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 


This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item

  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Welcome to members and observers


PSS Review

PSS-1980 - Gemini Safe, Effective & Secure Medical Device Interoperability (SES+MDI) CONSENSUS-REVIEW

PSS-2005 - Device Alerting (DEVAL) CONSENSUS-REVIEW

PSS-2074 - External Terminology REVIEW

TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates

  HL7 Terminology Authority10


  HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10RD/JB
  • Subcommittee work in progress
    • UTG Release Labels
      • Added release labels to previously implemented UTG tickets
      • Need to finalize Terminology Curator documentation on adding release labels
    • Subcommittee alternating topic every other week
    • Reviewed Terminology Expectations from Lloyd and documented questions/clarifications for joint with FHIR-I
    • Call for UTG OSG Voters
      • Management Groups for Product Family OSGs 
        • FMG: John Moerke (confirm with Bryn)
        • CMG: Lisa Nelson, Alexander Henket (Lisa filling final slot)
        • V2: Michael Faughn, Frank Oemig, Rob Snelick
    • Vocab WG follow-up: Policy Requiring Identification of Stewards for HL7 (Internal) Code Systems
      • In Vocab WG - Motion passed: Vocab WG recommends that TSMG implement a rule stating that:
        Every HL7 code system in THO must have a steward WG.  The steward WG has to be one of the WGs that are authorized to propose making changes to an HL7 code system in THO. 
      • Out of 797 code systems, 236 do not have a Steward value
        • 38 V2, 147 V3, 47 FHIR, 3 unified code systems
      • Current supported solution is to make corresponding Management Group responsible (by either having them assign the WG responsible or by assigning them to the MG itself)
        • In the FHIR space, it could be the resource owner
          • Vocab WG to run a query for each code system across FHIR core to identify the resources and their responsible WG(s) for each listed code system.
            1. Robert Hausam will check with Lloyd and whether and how we can do this.
            2. Will bring this back for the Vocab call in 2 weeks.
        • V2 - make the V2 management group responsible
        • V3 - will be a multi-management group exercise.  CMG will take a look at the V3 sets first.  FMG will take a look at the list next to determine which is the appropriate responsible party.
          • Austin Kreisler reviewed list of V3 code systems and assigned 3 to Structured Docs
      • List of code systems without steward is here
  • UTG Development status updates
    • Meeting weekly with Lawrence to review automation progress, next update on IG Publisher validation this week
 Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM
  • Decision Making Practices
    • Not approved by TSC, what changes do we need to make before sending it back?

    • In meeting discussed comments from TSC.  Made small changes to confluence DMP document here in TSMG meeting in anticipation of upcoming TSC meeting / discussion later today.
    • Motion to approve the DMP document as changed:  DG / seconded RM. Motion passes 8-0-0

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document

Minute Approval2022-04-25 TSMG Agenda and Minutes