Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair: Caroline Macumber 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Monday, April 4, 1:00-2:30PM UTC

Monday, April 4,  9:00-10:30AM USA ET

Tuesday, April 5, 12:00-1:30AM AEST

Tuesday, April 5, 2:00-3:30AM NZDT   


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
M (CSDO)AHL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)PMD Partners, Inc.

X - proxy is RobM

MPApelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MX - proxy is ReubenHL7 New Zealand
MAPrecipius b.v.
MAHL7 Germany
Health Intersections
OPCanada Health Infoway
National Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
John SnyderNational Library of Medicine (US)
Ted KleinTK Consulting
Lloyd Mackensie
Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
OPDoug DeShazoLexisNexis
MaryKay McDanielFM/Markam
Corey Spears

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 

2022-03-28 TSMG Agenda and Minutes

This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item

  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Welcome to members and observers


  • Announcements
    • SNOMED International meeting updates?
      • SNOMED on FHIR (question)  update next meeting
    • Fall meeting (Lisbon, Portugal) registration not yet open
      • Business meeting immediately prior 
        • September 2022: September 24th to 28th, 2022 Pestana Palace Lisboa, Hotel & National Monument Lisbon, Portugal (and online)
    • May 2022 WGM agenda is available

  • Principles for Use of External Terminologies in HL7 standards
    • Policy framework from Dan V. presented to HL7 executive committee will be coming to the TSMG on 4/18
      • Discussion: potential additions, depending on the discussion 
        • Queue-up issue of Identifiers
        • Contact person
    • Questions re: the utilization of this document  (workflow for HTA)
      • good next step might be a decision tree re: engagement & use of this document versus other engagement documents / goals
      • Lisa: criteria for engagement may be useful (maturity, versioning...) CMG is working on a set of these
        • proposing a set of questions to establish next steps (HTA or ID...)
        • suggesting an educational document indicating role of HL7 w/re to external terminologies & their management
        • Lisa is interested in operationalizing this policy ie: an educational document as a follow-up once that is decided
      • Carol:  with the emergence of Implementation Division - there is now a division of responsibility.  HTA is responsible for metadata / IP aspects of terminology use and not maintenance aspects of external terminology, management of this content
TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates

  • May Connectathon Management
      • Scheduling
        • Terminology Services track education offerings: Reuben, Rob M "Ask an Expert"
          • Rob Hausam: ConceptMap focused session ?
        • Kick-off Meeting between 4/18-28 (can be recorded) 
  HL7 Terminology Authority10


Meeting this week - Thurs 8a EASTERN

  HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10RD/JB
  • Subcommittee work in progress
    • THO release schedule
      • Need feedback from TSC/HQ 
      • Following up with Rob McClure this week
    • Call for UTG OSG Voters
      • Email sent 3/8 to Management Groups for Product Family OSGs
        • Asked for responses by 3/31 - none received yet
        • Will send out follow-up email today
    • Vocab WG follow-up: Policy Requiring Identification of Stewards for HL7 (Internal) Code Systems
      • In Vocab WG - Motion passed: Vocab WG recommends that TSMG implement a rule stating that:
        Every HL7 code system in THO must have a steward WG.  The steward WG has to be one of the WGs that are authorized to propose making changes to an HL7 code system in THO. 
      • Out of 797 code systems, 236 do not have a Steward value
        • 38 V2, 147 V3, 47 FHIR, 3 unified code systems
      • One possible solution is to make corresponding Management Group responsible (by either having them assign the WG responsible or by assigning them to the MG itself)
        • In the FHIR space, it could be the resource owner
        • V2 - make the V2 management group responsible
        • V3 - will be a multi-management group exercise.  CMG will take a look at the V3 sets first.  FMG will take a look at the list next to determine which is the appropriate responsible party.
      • List of code systems without steward is here
    • Started working through materials related to Workflow process for use of internal code system identifiers in FHIR and beyond
  • UTG Development status updates
    • Sprint 2 of Jira improvements pushed to production environment last week
      • We now have a way to track tickets included in each release
      • Need to update process for release tracking in Terminology Curator documentation 
    • Josh Procious and Jon Williams assisting Lawrence with setting up an EC2 instance to test GitLab for THO resource editing
      • Expect progress to pick up and will follow up again on 4/7
 Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM
  • Decision Making Practices
    • (deferred until next week)


Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document

Minute Approval2022-03-28 TSMG Agenda and Minutes