Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair: Caroline Macumber 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Monday, March 28, 1:00-2:30PM UTC

Monday, March 28,  9:00-10:30AM USA ET

Tuesday, March 29, 12:00-1:30AM AEST

Tuesday, March 29, 2:00-3:30AM NZDT   


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)PMD Partners, Inc.


MPApelon, Inc.
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MX - proxy is ReubenHL7 New Zealand
MPPrecipius b.v.
HL7 Germany
Health Intersections
OPCanada Health Infoway
National Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
OPSNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
John SnyderNational Library of Medicine (US)
Ted KleinTK Consulting
Lloyd Mackensie
Ravi KafleWashington State Department of Health
OPDoug DeShazoLexisNexis
OPMaryKay McDanielFM/Markam
OPCorey Spears

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 

2022-03-21 TSMG Agenda and Minutes

This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item

  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Welcome to members and observers


  • Announcements 
    • SNOMED International business meeting - next week
      • Hybrid meetings - in person and virtual & also recorded. All are welcome.
      • IPS subontology has a name change. IPS Terminology will be released 4/30.
        • New product - will include relationships, include parents of IPS concepts
        • the "free set" will still be available,
        • the IPS refset is available for implementations
        • the subontology has / will have additional content which support grouping, other functions
      • RM:  what is the difference between GPS & IPS? how are these related?
        • GPS is the larger set - many "free sets" grouped together
        • AI: for another HTA meeting, revisit / establish what the agreed-to content is in the IPS between HL7 & IHTSDO
      • ST: (from chat) "I (and others in Europe) was responsible for the IPS Catalogue - epSOS MVC and the Master Translation Catalogue in 2010."  ST will follow-up as product work proceeds
      • RD:  Translations into other languages? this will be a planned component of the future development but its not a part of the current releases. Anyone can translate these in the interim 

TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates

  • May Connectathon Management
      • Scheduling
        • Terminology Services track education offerings: Reuben, Rob M "Ask an Expert"
        • Kick-off Meeting between 4/18-28 (can be recorded) 
      • Connectathon Track Terminology Server Support (1Mar22 Track leads meeting)
        1. Available Terminology Servers Tab added to ConMan
          • David Hay update to demo at track leads meeting: Tuesday 3/29
        2. Enhanced Terminology-specific information to Connectathon Test Server Lists
        3. Track planning support:  assistance locating terminology resources (none yet)
  • OMOP + FHIR harmonization 
    • OMOP + FHIR all Hands Meeting Monday 3/28 4pm
                             Join Zoom Meeting  Meeting ID: 948 2292 1968      Passcode: 791958
  HL7 Terminology Authority10


  • MaryKay: Purpose of this topic Harmonize across IGs in CARIN.  ~55 tickets in JIRA. (Patient Cost Transparency (PCT) IG) 
    • Code Systems without URL in THO (ie: ICD10) solution - we will create Value Sets, as these are stable 
      • RM:  content is needed in THO to support making Value Set
      • other solution: need an identifier
    • Question:  when do we create the identifier ticket? 
    • RM:  this is a proforma ticket?  CM:  no - there is additional work in the HTA record that needs to be done for HTA to approve them
      • Jean was the contact that historically took care of this, but she may be retired?  Follow-up with the ADA is required to assist.  Corey Spears requesting the HTA / TSMG interact directly with Jean for clarity
    • RM: a policy discussion should ensue with TSMG re: what is meant by "all codes" Value Set?
      • If the use case is to reference all codes in the code set, this is handled differently than if there are select codes within the coding system for the IG.  In either case there is some follow-up required re: convenience copies on the THO for this content.  
      • This should be an agenda item for this week's Vocab WG call Robert Hausam 
    • CM: created HTA pages and put links to these in both tickets.  Group needs to address the copyright / stewardship of reference artifacts
    • RM:  first step is to establish the metadata as indicated in the HTA profile, then if there are specific codes required for a Value Set, then follow-up to address the content needed can be done later
    • CS:  What are my next steps re: THO content? CM:  a ticket is needed to be sure this gets put into the pipeline for Jess to address in the THO build
  HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10RD/JB
  • Scheduling call following DST change
    • Based on feedback, call is rescheduled for 4 PM EDT (8 PM UTC)
    • First call tomorrow, 3/29
  • Subcommittee work in progress
    • THO release schedule
      • Need feedback from TSC/HQ 
      • Info sent to Rob and Bryn and will be passed along to TSC
    • Call for UTG OSG Voters
      • Email sent 3/8 to Management Groups for Product Family OSGs
        • Asked for responses by 3/31 - none received yet
    • Vocab WG follow-up: Policy Requiring Identification of Stewards for HL7 (Internal) Code Systems
      • In Vocab WG - Motion passed: Vocab WG recommends that TSMG implement a rule stating that:
        Every HL7 code system in THO must have a steward WG.  The steward WG has to be one of the WGs that are authorized to propose making changes to an HL7 code system in THO. 
      • Subcommittee believes a possible solution is to assign codes systems without a Steward to Vocab
        • Code system Stewards could be updated as a new Steward is identified (i.e. when someone brings up a UTG change proposal to Vocab for approval)
  • UTG Development status updates
    • Held follow up call with Lawrence Gerstley regarding automation in the UTG submission process on 3/24
    • Josh Procious and Jon Williams assisting Lawrence with setting up an EC2 instance to test GitLab for THO resource editing
    • Expect progress to pick up and will follow up again on 4/7
FHIR-I Terminology Expectations

Terminology Expectations 2022-04 FHIR Terminology Expecations.pptx  from FMG

CM:  there was discussion re: a specific syntax here  that would look like this:,

Expectations (slide 3):  "codes"  TSMG doesn't approve codes... this should read "Code systems" 

IG-Specific codes - Does he mean codes or code systems, likely "code systems"  This principle may need some explanation from Lloyd.  BR: isn't the IG a means for publication of new codes? 

Value Set:  not sure why VSAC is mentioned.  Discussion re: Value Sets should be reused. 

 Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM
  • Decision Making Practices
    • (deferred until next week)


Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document

Minute Approval2022-03-21 TSMG Agenda and Minutes