Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair: Caroline Macumber 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Wednesday, February 23, 8:00-9:30PM UTC

Wednesday, February 23, 3:00-4:30PM USA ET

Thursday, February 24, 6:00-7:30AM AEST

Thursday, February 24, 9:00-10:30AM NZDT   

Zoom link -

Find your local number:


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)P, out last 30 minsClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)
MD Partners, Inc.

P (first 60 minutes only)

Reuben Proxy for last 30

MPApelon, Inc.
M(conflict w first 30 minutes)MaxMD
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MPHL7 New Zealand
MPPrecipius b.v.
MPHL7 Germany
Health Intersections
Canada Health Infoway
National Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
John SnyderNational Library of Medicine (US)
OPTed KleinTK Consulting

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 

2022-02-16 TSMG Agenda and Minutes

This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item

  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Welcome to members and observers


  • Announcements 
  • Policy & Process Documentation Repository
    • Requirements
    • Disposition - library approach
    • Each TSMG Subgroup should have their own pages
TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates

  • TSMG Education / Outreach subgroup regular meetings
      • Tuesday 3/1, 3p EASTERN
  • OMOP + FHIR harmonization group
    • Project Planning documentation underway - (DV / FE)
    • May Connectathon / WGM activities planned
      • dQM & Oncology Use Cases: May Connectathon activities
      • BoF session in WGM
    • dQM: AMIA Plenary Proposal (March / November), NCQA DQS, CMS Connectathon (July)
  • May Connectathon Management
    • Planning committee meeting Monday 28Feb, 5p
      • chat with David Hay about what we need in Connectathon Management tool
    • All Track leads:  sign-up requirements
      • Declare terminology servers required / identified
      • Additional sign-up requirements from TSMG?
    • IG / Track Workflow
    • Terminology Services track offerings
  • Progress with UTG Oversight Groups - Outreach next steps
  HL7 Terminology Authority10


  • ATC Code system designation(s) 
    • WHO index: ATC / DDD system(s)
    • Carol confirmed with Julie the DD attributes on ATCs - confirming its a single code system
  • HTA meets this week - Thursday
  • HTA-19 - Getting issue details... STATUS Joan H: receiving a request related to: Code System for Canada Post 2-letter Canadian Provinces & Territories.  A listing of provinces and territories, and states, does exist in the V2 table 0347.  Based on and, I would like to point him to use the code system urn:iso:std:iso:3166 and/or the valueset
    • TedK:  OID    1.0.3166.2 symbolicName Value Set Information OID    2.16.840.1.113883.21.224 symbolicName    hl7VS-stateProvince Description    Concepts used to specify a state or province.  Used in Version 2 messaging in the Extended Composite ID with Check Digit (CX), Performing Person Time Stamp (PPN), and Extended Composite ID Number and Name for Persons (XCN) values as well as the Accident (ACC) segment. Content Logical Definition    all codes
    • Carol Provided a canonical URI (may bring up a login to Canada gateway)
    • PJ:  This is a Canadian resource, and there may not be a role for this content on the THO
    • Carol: this is a source of truth for this issue, TK: this is not ISO, need to remain aware of where the resource is coming from.  Carol: we may need to author a policy statement re: this kind of situation, as this is not the first time this has become an issue.  Referencing terminology content that is available elsewhere... likely an HTA task to draft recommendations regarding these situations.
    • Joan:  there are other ISO 3166 references in THO.  TK:  these are historical artifacts from V2.  Licensing to ISO was a barrier to the V2 community
  HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10RD/JB
  • Issue: Remove Retired External Code System metadata records to resolve the issues with mixed case font
    • Warnings will be thrown if <caseSensitive> element not present
    • To remove warnings from THO v3.1.0, HL7 code systems suppressed had <caseSensitive> set to 'true' and external code systems were manually suppressed: see
    • Need to clean up additional HL7 content suppressed warnings and determine how to handle external code systems
    • RD: Motion: for the retired metadata code system records, such as those that are generating errors with code sensitive errors, these should be removed from THO. Second: BR. Motion passes 8-0-0
  • Publication request for approval by TSMG
  • Freeze for release v3.1.0 still active and release of v3.1.0 in progress
  • Moving "Using X with FHIR" pages to THO
    • Reuben to continue working with Lloyd and Grahame to discuss how those pages will be managed once in THO and make sure they are consistent with core FHIR spec, which will refer to them
  • Vocab WG follow-up: Policy Requiring Identification of Stewards for HL7 (Internal) Code Systems
    • Vocab WG should decide whether THO code systems and value sets should have the steward as mandatory.
      Would help with knowing who to follow up with in the UTG process.
    • In Vocab WG - Motion passed: Vocab WG recommends that TSMG implement a rule stating that:
      Every HL7 code system in THO must have a steward WG.  The steward WG has to be one of the WGs that are authorized to propose making changes to an HL7 code system in THO. 
    • RD: Suggesting there may need to be a better description of what a Steward is / what that entails before crafting a policy statement. When there is a proposal for the definition, this issue would be brought back to this group. 
  • THO release schedule
    • Need feedback from TSC/HQ 
    • AI: the information about these discussions will be fw: to Bryn & Rob to support presentation / discussions with the TSC
  • Status updates (no changes from last week)
    • Onboarding new development resource, Lawrence, to help with Jira automation
      • There is a need for some specific requirements for Lawrence to work on
      • TK:  Josh has been in touch to develop this list of specific requirements
    • Will create business requirements for a UTG Editor
    • Sprint 2 of UTG Jira development items with a focus on release tracking in progress
      • Refining current implementation of release tracking
Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10RM
  • Decision Making Practices
  • (deferred until next week)


Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document

Minute Approval2022-02-16TSMG Agenda and Minutes