Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Chair: Caroline Macumber 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Wednesday, February 9, 8:00-9:30PM UTC

Wednesday, February 9, 3:00-4:30PM USA ET

Thursday, February 4, 6:00-7:30AM AEST

Thursday, February 4, 9:00-10:30AM NZDT   

Zoom link -

Find your local number:


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)X (Proxy: Davera)Clinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
M (CSDO)PHL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)
MD Partners, Inc.

P (first 60 minutes only)

Carol Proxy for last 30

MX (Proxy: Reuben)Apelon, Inc.
M(conflict w first 30 minutes)MaxMD
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MPHL7 New Zealand
MPPrecipius b.v.
HL7 Germany
Health Intersections
OPCanada Health Infoway
OPNational Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
SNOMED International
OPJoe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
OPJohn SnyderNational Library of Medicine (US)

PTed Klein

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 

2022-02-02 TSMG Agenda and Minutes

This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item

  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Welcome to members and observers


  • Announcements 
  • Policy & Process Documentation Repository
    • Requirements
    • Disposition - library approach
    • Each TSMG Subgroup should have their own pages
      • HTA pages will be linked (& stay where they are)
      • Reuben created draft stub for these pages here
        • Review table heading  / column definitions
        • Status from subcommittees
TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates

  • TSMG subgroup regular meetings
    • Doodle Poll: example for this and next week. 
    • reply as if ongoing availability
  • OHDSI CDM Vocab WG
  • OMOP + FHIR All Hands Meeting 14Feb22 - Cancelled
    • May Connectathon / WGM activities planned
      • requirements for FHIR Terminology Server(s) supporting Quality & Oncology Use Cases
    • Quality Measures Use Case: NCQA DQS, CMS Connectathon (July 2022)
  • Progress with UTG Oversight Groups - Outreach next steps
          HL7 Terminology Authority10


  • Next HTA meeting this Thursday 10Feb2022
HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10RD
  • Freeze for release v3.1.0 scheduled for 2/20
    • Grahame is resolving ~400 errors in the build via UP-286 - Getting issue details... STATUS
      • Please review above ticket and approve in minutes if we want to get these fixes in prior to the release (highly recommended) 
        • RD/JB: Moving to approve this ticket. BR Seconds Motion passes 7-0-0
      • It is also possible that Vocab and FMG should be the sponsor instead of TSMG
    • Reuben moving "Using X with FHIR" pages to THO
    • Jess moving Identifier Systems to THO, Lloyd to help with moving Passport Numbers 
    • RD will have more info about this process in next week's TSMG meeting
  • Vocab WG follow-up: Policy Requiring Identification of Stewards for HL7 (Internal) Code Systems
    • Vocab WG should decide whether THO code systems and value sets should have the steward as mandatory.
      Would help with knowing who to follow up with in the UTG process.
    • In Vocab WG - Motion passed: Vocab WG recommends that TSMG implement a rule stating that:
      Every HL7 code system in THO must have a steward WG.  The steward WG has to be one of the WGs that are authorized to propose making changes to an HL7 code system in THO. 
  • THO release schedule
    • THO was originally designed to be released "on demand" although there has been a recent push to align with ballot cycles
    • Should ask Dan and Viet to weigh in as it affects the implementation community
      • RD: suggesting there are 3 dates per year guaranteed, and then provide the flexibility to add additional releases on an ad hoc basis based on community needs.
      • PJ:  there are some changes out of HL7 control like external code systems that may by necessity trigger a release
      • TK: external code system changes are mostly metadata, the most important component which may rise to the need for a change would be if a url changed
      • optimally... be dependable but also nimble to be responsible to the community needs
      • RD:  to BR - please ask the TSC about this topic / approach, so TSMG can vote on this next week
  • Status updates (no changes from last week)
    • Onboarding new development resource, Lawrence, to help with Jira automation 
    • Will create business requirements for a UTG Editor
    • Sprint 2 of UTG Jira development items with a focus on release tracking in progress
      • Refining current implementation of release tracking
  • Change Request Sponsorship
    • TK: Change requests require WG sponsors per TSC rules.  Stewards of resource are identified, but change requests do not necessarily come from that Steward.  To remedy - Ted is asking the TSMG to consider whether it might be useful to allow co-sponsors of change proposals.  At present, there is only one slot for approval and this may not be the source of the change need.
    • Ted would like to use the JIRA auto-validation workflow to move change requests to the next step via machine (vs manual) method
    • RD:  is the role of a Steward is to ensure that no change can happen to an asset?
    • TK: the (prior) harmonization process indicated the Steward needed to be a party to the discussion.  Ted added a link to the minutes of the meeting when the decision was made re: the proposal in the request. There are different outcomes possible with combinations of "must approve" for one or both co-sponsors, links to meeting minutes etc.  Ted is asking the TSMG to tease these options out to specify.
    • Role of oversight group would be to make decisions without having a steward "present" in a meeting, and could be enabled in the JIRA workflow through mandatory notification of stewards.  proceeding with the assumption that everyone (in a meeting) making a decision will have reviewed the minutes, or at least has access to all the requisite information supporting the decision.
    • RB:  changes to artefacts should generate a new version - can we use the version to obviate the need for approvals by all?
    • DG moves: As an interim measure pending TSMG establishing policies on stewards, in order for a UTG change request to be submitted, there must be one or more sponsors documented in the ticket for that change request. Additionally there needs to be a link to the minutes of one or more of the sponsors, documenting the approval of the change request. One of the change request sponsors must be an HL7 WG or the TSMG. RB Seconds.  Motion passes 7-0-0
Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10BR
  • Decision Making Practices

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document

Minute Approval2022-02-02TSMG Agenda and Minutes