Chair: Caroline Macumber 

Scribe: Davera Gabriel 


Wednesday, February 2, 8:00-9:30PM UTC

Wednesday, February 2, 3:00-4:30PM USA ET

Thursday, February 3, 6:00-7:30AM AEST

Thursday, February 3, 9:00-10:30AM NZDT   

Zoom link -

Find your local number:


Attendee type:

M - TSMG Member

O -Observer / Guest


P - present

A - Apologies

X - (Apologies with Proxy)



M (Co-Chair)PClinical Architecture
M (Co-Chair)PThe Johns Hopkins University
M (Co-Chair)PSaludax
HL7 International
M (TSMG Rep to the TSC)
MD Partners, Inc.

P (first 60 minutes only)

Carol Proxy for last 30

MPApelon, Inc.
M(conflict w first 30 minutes)MaxMD
MPNational Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
MPHL7 New Zealand
MPPrecipius b.v.
HL7 Germany
Health Intersections
OPCanada Health Infoway
OPNational Library of Medicine
Hausam Consulting LLC
OPSNOMED International
Joe FlackJohns Hopkins BIDS
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)
OPJohn Snyder

Antitrust statement

Professional Associations, such as HL7, which bring together competing entities are subject to strict scrutiny under applicable antitrust laws. HL7 recognizes that the antitrust laws were enacted to promote fairness in competition and, as such, supports laws against monopoly and restraints of trade and their enforcement. Each individual participating in HL7 meetings and conferences, regardless of venue, is responsible for knowing the contents of and adhering to the HL7 Antitrust Policy as stated in §05.01 of the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).

Minutes Approved as Presented 

2022-01-26 TSMG Agenda and Minutes

This is to approve minutes via general consent. "You have received the minutes. Are there any corrections to the minutes? (pause) Hearing none, if there are no objections, the minutes are approved as printed."

Agenda Topics 

Meeting was recorded

Agenda Outline

Time allocationLead

Agenda Item

  • Note that meetings are recorded
  • Welcome to members and observers
  • Rollcall & Proxies
    • RM: Proxies are among the approvals that must be vetted through the TSC approval process
    • RM:  there are other practices that need this process correction


  • Announcements 
  • Policy & Process Documentation Repository
    • Requirements
    • Disposition - library approach
    • Each TSMG Subgroup should have their own pages
      • HTA pages will be linked (& stay where they are)
      • Reuben created draft stub for these pages here
      • if additional information is desired, please contact Reuben, as he will accommodate
      • Carol: suggesting an annual review to keep these current
    • Goals
      • Inventory of current assets
      • identify conflicts, gaps in terminology documentation & guidance
      • Get started on the  pages by end of February
        • UTG / THO (JB)
        • Policy Process (RD)
        • Education / Outreach (DG)
  • Confirmation / Update of subcommittee membership per 10Nov21 meeting minutes  (with updates from today)
    • UTG / THO: Joanie, RobM, Jess, Reuben, Micheal, Lisa, Bryn
    • HTA: Suzy, Sylvia, Roel, Davera, Carol, Reuben, Jess, Joanie
    • Outreach: Lisa, Peter, Dan, Davera
TSMG Standing Subcommittee Updates

  • TSMG subgroup regular meetings
    • Doodle Poll: example for next week and +1. 
    • reply as if ongoing availability
          HL7 Terminology Authority10


  • Next HTA meeting this Thursday 10Feb2022
  • Request from WHO re: utilization of OIDs, representative will attend next HTA meeting
  • JIRA ticket opened for GOM changes to remove HTA: GCR-354 - Getting issue details... STATUS
  • GOM text in process of being moved to HTA page
    • confirmation from David Pike that the content is being moved over to TSMG page
    • Reuben:  'Terminology Authority" as a name for the HTA may be confusing.  Suggesting there may be a better label which reflects the function(s) of the HTA as a component of the TSMG.  Possibly adding the term "External" or "External Terminology(ies)"
HL7 Terminology / Unified Terminology Governance (THO/UTG)10JB, RD
  • Request for THO v3.1.0
    • Determine if there is a need for a release prior to March
      • Drivers are aligning with ballot cycles and getting Marc experience with releasing
    • Tickets queued for the next release tracked here: Published in THO version 3.1.0 (In Progress)
    • Still determining if Implementation Guides can be published against the continuous integration (CI) build or if it must be a published release
    • TSMG may want to discuss timing with FMG regarding changes in R5 related to THO (i.e. Identifiers Systems, "Using X with FHIR", etc.)
    • TSMG is suggesting a regular cadence of THO releases, anticipating "pre-ballot" timing 
    • Must freeze no later than 2/20 (anything not implemented in CI build will not get in) to accommodate Ted's leave
      • BR: Motion to freeze no later than 2/20 for this next release, RD: second.  Motion passes 8-0-0
  • Task force recommendation review and implementation (voting, quorums, WG health, etc.): UTG Task Force Recommendations to TSC
    • Next Steps
      • Move forward with plan to request that Management Groups provide at least one person to be part of an OSG for the Product Family OSGs
        • Consider allowing nomination of participants that are not co-chairs 
        • Based on community feedback, we will adjust to what the community can provide
      • Also request that WGs provide someone willing to learn this process (as an apprenticeship-like role) so that we can bring them up to speed with the help of the appropriate methodology groups
      • Ask Rob and Peter for help recruiting for Realm-Based OSG
      • Ask TSMG main call for Vocab/TSMG members for the Vocab OSG
        • suggestion from RD:  all members of the TSMG be on the OSG
      • TSC clarification
        • Need to ask for clarification for ad hoc OSGs (separate request) and how OSGs may change but membership does not automatically refresh on tickets already in Consensus Review
        • Expectations for when members of an OSG need to change
        • Need to get clarification with regard to next steps to ratification of members from TSC
          • BR: will take this question to the TSC
  • Resource has been dedicated to help with UTG automation
    • Determining tasks that will be assigned with input from Ted Klein and Josh Procious 
    • Jess to follow-up and report back next meeting
  • Started discussion on business requirements for a UTG Editor
    • UTG Editor should simplify creation and editing of THO resources through a web-based editor
    • It would be very desirable to have a process that works with Git to hide 
    • Jess to work on writing up requirements
  • Sprint 2 of UTG Jira development items with a focus on release tracking in progress
    • Refining current implementation of release tracking
Technical Steering Committee (TSC) matters10BR
  • Decision Making Practices
    • Tabled to next meeting

Meeting adjourned at 4:02 PM ET 

Supporting Documents

Outline Reference

Supporting Document

Minute Approval2022-01-26 TSMG Agenda and Minutes